Questions Before Buying 1996 21ft Bigfoot 2500 Travel Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Questions Before Buying 1996 21ft Bigfoot 2500 Travel Trailer

Hi!

I've found a 1996 Bigfoot 2500 Series 21ft that I'm considering purchasing. I don't have the exact model number, but I'm assuming a savvy owner can tell me what it is.

This will be our first "rv" of any type, and we've decided on Bigfoot because of the year-round usability.

The trailer in question is priced at $13k, but has undergone what seems to be a nice remodel.

I'm happy to PM with someone and send pics and talk more detail if anyone prefers that.

But first, a couple questions:

1.) Is there anything IN PARTICULAR about mid-90's Bigfoots that I should be aware of and be looking for in case of pitfalls, repairs, bargaining points with the seller?

2.) Can anyone tell me DEFINITIVELY how wide this trailer is? It's gotta fit in our narrow driveway as it can't be parked in plain sight per local rules. Storage isn't an option as there isn't any storage close enough to us to make it worth the trouble and added expense.

BONUS ROUND: If anyone has any additional relevant suggestions, advice, warnings, etc., re: a fiberglass trailer of this age, make, etc, please chime in!

Thanks for helping a newbie!
mstrsltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1996 may not have the four season package. Spend some time doing research.

Floor/floor/floor. Inspect carefully.

Its 23 years old. Tire age? Last wheel bearing service? All appliances working? External lights all work? Door or roof sag? How has it been stored?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ors-66384.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
1996 may not have the four season package. Spend some time doing research.

Floor/floor/floor. Inspect carefully.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ors-66384.html

I see...

I read the thread you sent. Realizing that buying such an old trailer could be a money pit...

What do you think the chances are of an experienced owner local to Los Angeles being willing to come and take a look before I pull the trigger? I'd of course be willing to pay this person for their time and valuable experience.

Any Bigfoot Pros local to LA/SoCal out there willing to help?

EDIT: Anyone know how wide this model year of Bigfoot is?
mstrsltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Two things that need further research here. I don't think the 2500 series as available until 2005. If it is in nice shape. 13K is a really great deal.

Pictures would really help. Also in 2000 Bigfoot made a few trailers that were not 2 piece molded. They used composite panels on the sides.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've done the deposit now and then start driving routine on a couple of trailers I have bought, along with one I passed on.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Bigfoot trailers are 8 feet wide. An older trailer won't necessarily have any issues, you just need to check carefully, or buy and hope for the best.

Mine is a 91 and I bought it about 3 years ago. It had/has no major issues, but did need a little attention here and there.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our Bigfoot Silver Cloud is a 1988. We had some water damage that was repairable, needed a new door, a new fridge, and new tires. The rest was fine.

I might caution you that if you wait too long, you can lose it.

CindyL
Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I would say anyone purchasing a 23 year old travel trailer would need to be knowledgeable of trailers and what he/she is looking at. Personally for the novice this could either be a very good purchase, or the worst nightmare of your life, can you really look at the trailer and determine its condition, from what you say, I would say probably not. I would not pay any deposit until I saw the trailer first hand and had someone with knowledge of trailers with me that can look at the trailer with you and discuss what they see as to condition and what monies you may have to spend on it. You need to realize how important this is when purchasing older trailers, what you see may not be what you want in the long run.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #9

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Much like Zach I also have the 1991 bought many years ago and have never had any issues with it.
If it has already had a remodel done what changes were made and why.
Some are personal preferences.

Bigfoots don't have the same issue with floors that many others do being a full fiberglass molded unit.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #10

Name: Candace
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Also bought an old one

We bought a 2000 Casita a couple of years ago that was apparently purchased, minimally used, and parked- still had the 2000 plates on it. We got a killer deal so we accepted there would likely be repairs to be made due to age. Electronics (TV, Microwave) were DOA. But the main thing we have found is some of the plastic parts have aged badly and gone brittle. So check anything yellowed especially in plumbing (drains, valves), Refrigerator vent cover (ours went bye-bye somewhere in Houston), etc. Our first camping trip the majority of the plastic hooks in the camper broke off when we tried to use them - minor but annoying. If the part is just yellowed but hasn't lost integrity/flexibility spray paint for plastic works well - used that on the interior AC cover. Don't get me wrong we are still thrilled with our purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat. Just be prepared for a rash of little glitches in the beginning.
ccol265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrsltr View Post
Hi!

I've found a 1996 Bigfoot 2500 Series 21ft that I'm considering purchasing. I don't have the exact model number, but I'm assuming a savvy owner can tell me what it is.

This will be our first "rv" of any type, and we've decided on Bigfoot because of the year-round usability.

The trailer in question is priced at $13k, but has undergone what seems to be a nice remodel.

I'm happy to PM with someone and send pics and talk more detail if anyone prefers that.

But first, a couple questions:

1.) Is there anything IN PARTICULAR about mid-90's Bigfoots that I should be aware of and be looking for in case of pitfalls, repairs, bargaining points with the seller?

2.) Can anyone tell me DEFINITIVELY how wide this trailer is? It's gotta fit in our narrow driveway as it can't be parked in plain sight per local rules. Storage isn't an option as there isn't any storage close enough to us to make it worth the trouble and added expense.

BONUS ROUND: If anyone has any additional relevant suggestions, advice, warnings, etc., re: a fiberglass trailer of this age, make, etc, please chime in!

Thanks for helping a newbie!
Sounds like your in or near L.A
Found this one, private party willing to take offers. I don't know the owner, just shopping too.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...IES-5006711141
Also Bigfoot specs, Check for the model, looks like the 21' is 8'4" wide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bigfoot .pdf (55.3 KB, 6 views)
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
1996 21ft Bigfoot

Like others have said first of all it is a Bigfoot and there is a big difference between them and other trailers especially when they get older. The Bigfoots just seem to last forever.I owned a 1999 21ft 2500 series Bigfoot,also a 1987 1500 series Bigfoot. The 17ft trailers were all 1500 till in 2005 when they became the 17.5 and were now all 2500 series. The best way to check on the 96 you are thinking of buying is check if the windows are dual-pane. It should also say on the spec paper that is in the closet. The model # should be 25B21. I don,t think that the 21ft which came out in 1993 were ever 1500 series. Just like the 25ft that came out in 2003 all as 2500 series. As for the price at that price it must be in great condition,but like most Bigfoots the prices are always in the high range as you are buying the best and you will have it for along time. Good Luck and if you buy it you won,t be dissapointed..
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
1991 vs. 2007.

I started with a 1991 17' model. It was well kept. The only problem is the saggy door. Water gets into these old model doors from the top and ruins the wooded frame. Not impossible to fix.

Last summer I found a 2007 21' model. A 2500 series. This one is vastly improved in terms of quality. First big improvement is the new, rounded top door. Very nice. The furnace is larger, quieter and ducted to distribute the heat. Windows are double pane. It warms up fast. There's a skylight built in as well as AC. Drawers on the 1991 are a terrible joke. They just don't open, they pull a few inches and no more. The cabinets on the 2007 are as nice as a new home kitchen.

The one downside to the 2007 is that the front lacks the 'shelf', located just a couple inches above the table. The 1991 has this shelf and a good deal of extra space as a result. That shelf is formed by a 'kick out' of the front window. It looks strange from the outside - a little bulge just below the front window - but it makes for a spacious feeling inside. As a result the 1991 is much smaller, but for many who've sat in both of mine, more comfortable.

Compared to airstreams or canned ham stick built trailers all of the fiberglass models are very robust and solid. Yet there is always a risk. A soft floor could be a sign of a leak. But there could be a leak and no sign of it for years to come. The good news is these are small homes and problems are finite. Not that's it's always easy, but anything can be fixed.

In summary: later models (in my case 2007) have big quality improvements over the early 90's models, but for my taste the interior 'spacial design' was better in the earlier models.

ps. As for buying an old trailer, I always budget for new tires, some plumbing - possibly a hot water heater, maybe wheel bearings and possibly brakes - into the purchase price. I would say $2000 is a safe bet - an average - that you should expect to pay to make your old trailer roadworthy. If you can't do any of that work yourself, add another $1000 to be safe. Five Goodyear Endurance tires just cost me $770.00 for example. Brakes and bearings were another $300, but I did the work. I installed a hot water heater in the 21' which I bought for $500. Odds and ends cost another few hundred. That's about average for bringing a decent condition trailer up to speed. It wasn't abused, but maintenance was deferred.
Attached Thumbnails
_AB21146.jpg   IMAG2985.jpg  

Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot