Questions for scamp 13 owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: In the market
Wyoming
Questions for scamp 13 owners

Does a Pack and Play fit in the Scamp? Has anyone traveled with a bike inside the Scamp, or is that a camping no no? Has anyone had experience installed the retractable screen door. Is it tough to do. The only tools i own are duck tape and a hammer.:
DerekFrenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A number of people travel with bikes inside, including myself. Main thing is to secure them well, as trailers bounce around a lot.

Putting in the screen door requires a frame around the door custom cut to match the contour of the shell. I'd want to know if Scamp supplies the frame pieces. It'll take more than a hammer and duck tape in any case.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Having used a pack and play extensively when the kids were younger and trying to remember the scamp floor measurements, I'm going to say, no. I don't think you can get a pack and play in there. If you could, I think it would touch the closet on one side, the counter on the other and abut both the dinette bed and sofa. You would literally be trapped in the beds until morning
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't they make a compact Pack and Play for travel?

The main Scamp floor is about 3'x3'.

Is this for nighttime sleeping or daytime play?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Derek,
We've have travelled a few times with two bikes inside our scamp 13 so it certainly is possible. It is however sufficiently inconvenient that we no longer do it. They are awkward to get in and out without scratching or damaging anything (the screen door is especially vulnerable). They have to be secured and in a way that you don't get chain grease on anything. We now generally use our folders and carry them in the TV and if we need our full size bikes they go on a light weight rack on the back of the scamp with front wheels off to lighten the load on back bumper.

Having a bike adds wonderful opportunities to a trip (we are particularly fond of and seek out the many rail trails that have been developed in recent years) so I encourage you to figure out what means of bike transport works best for you.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #6

Wyoming
Alright, so the pack N play doesn't work. How do you, or did you guys keep your little ones (15months old) from rolling out of bed. I told my wife we would put Cora in a mini velcro suit and use flannels sheets.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

Colorado
Registry
I think you could use one of those netted, fabric bed rails that people use on regular beds. They make travel ones, that might be the right size. Like maybe this:

DEX Safe Sleeper Bed Rail - Walmart.com

We also built a rail for our top bunk, that looks like this:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 03-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #8

Colorado
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...her-61791.html

Found this one on here, too. A clever way to keep someone in the bottom bunk!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Derek,
We've have travelled a few times with two bikes inside our scamp 13 so it certainly is possible. It is however sufficiently inconvenient that we no longer do it. They are awkward to get in and out without scratching or damaging anything (the screen door is especially vulnerable). They have to be secured and in a way that you don't get chain grease on anything. We now generally use our folders and carry them in the TV and if we need our full size bikes they go on a light weight rack on the back of the scamp with front wheels off to lighten the load on back bumper.

Having a bike adds wonderful opportunities to a trip (we are particularly fond of and seek out the many rail trails that have been developed in recent years) so I encourage you to figure out what means of bike transport works best for you.
I'd concur that getting the bikes in and out won't be easy, but it can be done. I used a 2x6 the width of the cabin at the door with fork mounts screwed to it. That secures the bikes upright and ensures that they don't bang into anything or rub against each other.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Name: Dawn
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Registry
bunk rails

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68845.html

I posted on this thread on what I did for my toddler. When he was really little, I simply put a board across the front of the bunk (it was nestled on the ends against the door frame and closet). When he could pick himself up and became more mobile, I purchased one of those fabric bed guards and attached it to the bunk. It has worked out great! Good luck!
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #11

Wyoming
Thank you, that is very helpful info.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFrenette View Post
Alright, so the pack N play doesn't work. How do you, or did you guys keep your little ones (15months old) from rolling out of bed. I told my wife we would put Cora in a mini velcro suit and use flannels sheets.
I am assuming your going to have the child sleep on the front couch. a simple 1x6 could be easily made to act as a cribside. between the stove cabinet and the door frame , or 1x8 if you want it taller or a couple of them.we have the couch bunkbed combo and a 1x4 with two short pieces of 1/2 conduit that plugs into the upper bunk supports, stopped our granddaughter from rolling out of the top bunk. the pack and play will fit f under the table when its folded up so handy to take anyway, for outdoor use.of course you could just get a small foam pad cut to fit the floor,,,and be carefull not to step on her when you get up in the middle of the night.
sleeping on the floor pad would probably end up a great memory of times with mom and dad.

Tags
scamp