Questions on Compact JR Trailer for tall person - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Questions on Compact JR Trailer for tall person

I've been looking at designs and such to start re-building a new trailer. I'm trying to keep it around #1200 total when towing, so #900 unpacked would be great. I have done an older 13' scamp in the past and sleeping sideways worked OK, but would have liked a little longer. I'm looking at a compact JR, but the beds are not long enough, so wanted to re-do the interior to lengthen them to 6'-5", making the kitchen and storage smaller. I never have been in one, so I have a couple of questions to owners.

1. Is the wall between the kitchen/storage a fiber glassed in unit, or can it be easily re-moved?
2. I'm 6'-3", what is the head height in the middle?
3. Standing inside, can you see the stove/sink OK, or is the lip of the trailer obstructing the view.

I may have to look at the next Oregon get together and see if any are there to get a good idea of what I'll be getting into.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Danny, Barbara will be at Spring NOG with her Compact II. If that helps?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks Donna. I think I'll be free that weekend. As I remember, you have the open trailers on Saturday. Any charge for just a day walk-in?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Danny I can answer , somewhat, your questions. I have a Trailswest Campster and friends that I camp with have a Compact , not sure if it is a 11. The lip of the opening does intrude on working on the kitchen side. I measured the Trailswest and the height with the top up is 6'3" ish ( more on this latter ) so you may need to convert to a crew cut to keep from rubbing the top. I don't think the dividers are fiberglassed in but i do think they provide support. As to the top height it appears to me that the height is controlled by the height of the pop top material. It appears that increasing the material height of the canvas top would increase height of the top as the material seems to be what stops the top as it raises. Many units need new canvas anyway so this issue may be able to be resolved when replacing the canvas. Just a final thought the lip ,as mentioned above is intrusive and that is for me at a height of 5'8" so it will probably be even more so at your altitude. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Thanks Donna. I think I'll be free that weekend. As I remember, you have the open trailers on Saturday. Any charge for just a day walk-in?
Trailers are open anytime an owner is sitting outside and you ask. As you remember, the NOGs aren't organized. If the Compact is the one you really want to see, perhaps an email or PM to Barbara would work best, that way the two of you can work out the trailer tour for a time that works for you both.

no charge for walk-ins!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks for the information.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The Compact Jr is 75" tall inside. The walls that separate the kitchen and frig area from the dinette are plywood and would be easy to relocate. However, the above counter top area in the kitchen is surrounded by a fiberglass shell that forms the back splash, walls and ceiling above the sink and cooktop. This would need to be removed and replaced. At 5'9", I've never had a problem with seeing the sink or stove.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/tom...tml?sort=6&o=9