Quick survey: Where are you spending the winter?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I hear ya, Robert!!

Curious that no one stays in south Tejas. I lived and worked in Corpus Christi for a couple years many years ago. I loved it. Remember lots of snowbirds in RVs. I hope to spend my first winter there and wonder what it's like now. Besides beautiful area, the cost of living was low.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Stuck here in Edmonton, Alberta but its been a pretty good winter this year, not much snow and very warm by our standards. I guess we exported all the snow and cold south and east! I haven't even had to clean the snow off of the Casita.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Like Randy, Steve, Jon, and James - living a few hours north of Toronto, we spend winter shoveling the driveway, BUT, love to set by the fireplace and just look out over the quiet forest and frozen lake with a mug of hot cider, waiting for camping season. PS: Dudley, Stop sending 'berta's white-stuff' anytime now.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:17 AM   #24

Trailer: Casita
Stuck in frigid Ohio due to someone running into our tow vehicle!! Spent last winter in Sarasota--now plan on selling our home and becoming permanent Floridians
Joy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy B View Post
Stuck in frigid Ohio due to someone running into our tow vehicle!! Spent last winter in Sarasota--now plan on selling our home and becoming permanent Floridians

Probably should spend a summer here in the oppressive heat and humidity before making that decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We were born and raised in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Coldest place on the planet one than once in the winter.
I worked outside there for almost 40 years.
(Don't catch on fast!)
Retired to Creston BC, a beautiful spot in the mountians
warm by our standards but still WHITE in the winter
and Ive seen enough of that!
We now spend Jan to april in Southern California
Problem solved!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I spend the winter everywhere from Maine to southern CA -- wherever my work as an IT consultant takes me. But San Antonio is home, and I always love going home. Lots of "winter Texans" in South Texas this time of year.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #28

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Dudley---David----Please cease and desist with the sending of your snow down east!!!

There's nowhere to put it anymore, the banks (even after they've come and trimmed them twice) are still over 9 feet high and our snow removal budget is through the roof!

Next winter that will all be different as we intend on taking our Osokozy to spend 3-5 months in warmer climes. Anyone have any good suggestions of where to go??
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #29

Arkansas
Registry
Consider the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas. We just call it 'the valley'. Thousands of northerners flock to South Texas every winter to full time. The towns cater to them because they are a vital part of the economy. The climate is outstanding, prices are low, and there's a ton of things to do, either with organized groups of fellow RV'ers or on your own.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Okay sick and tired of everyone blaming Alberta! Its always the "Alberta Clipper". Theresa, I lived in Saint John and my family came from Maces Bay/ Dipper Harbour so I know your pain this year! But that being said its not our fault, honest. I blame it on ...Alaska... or ....the Russians, ya it's got to be those Russians playing with the weather to get back at Harper, ya thats it! Our old weatherman out here used to call it "The Siberian High" for all our deep freeze woes. When I lived in Duluth Mn, it was the "Alberta Clipper"

Yes I have lived in Nova Scotia , New Brunswick, Northern Quebec, Northern Ontario, Minnesota and Alberta and have seen it all as far as weather goes!

Now that I have pulled the plug on work, next year may actually head south for a while, but first heading to Yukon in June. See Canada First!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #31

Registry
David-- agreed, let's blame it on the Russians. And as for winter, I don't mind it--I was in the Arctic for 4 weeks working over Christmas and New Year's...and that isn't the place to be if one hates cold and snow!

And Robert--"the valley" in Texas sounds very appealing. I am going to have to do some research into where to stay and what to see. I have heard that we should anticipate spending half of what we would had we chosen Florida instead...is that still true?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #32

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Snowchusetts

Cancelled being in FL this Feb as wife didn't want to take yet another month off from working, next year I go with or without her. Barring any curveballs we'll be in the SW for most of the winter of 17.Need to see how snowbirding in a little trailer works out.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #33

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
And Robert--"the valley" in Texas sounds very appealing. I am going to have to do some research into where to stay and what to see. I have heard that we should anticipate spending half of what we would had we chosen Florida instead...is that still true?
Maybe not half, but certainly substantially less - for fuel, fees and food. Far less crowded and more 'elbow room'. I admit I'm biased being a Texan, but we're friendlier too.

One thing to think about doing with the savings if you decide to stay in South Texas is to head up to San Antonio on a weekend when the sun is out, and leave your trailer at the park. The Riverwalk is alot of fun, tons of restaurants, bars, live music, tour the Tower of the Americas, visit the Alamo, etc, and then spoil yourself with a nice hotel room right on the river. And, since it's 'winter', it won't be crowded.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Robert, is there any good hiking in the RGV or thereabouts? How about fishing, salt and or fresh?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #35

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
It's 36 degrees in San Antonio right now, according to my computer. It's 64 in my backyard right now. (We had a cold front blow through.)
Guess I'll continue to spend my winters in my home base, in Florida.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #36

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Asking the long time members...

...of this forum. Have there ever been this many threads started in winter on the theme "I am cold and tired, get me out of here."?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #37

Name: John & Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 std. Big bed
Texas
I have to agree, with the "Valley" of south Texas. The weekly " winter texan times" newspaper ( Winter Texan Times ) keeps us Winter Texans up to date on all the local happenings. There is no way to get bored down here.
johnkinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #38

Registry
It sounds wonderful. I did some online "snooping" and like what I saw. Any special recommendations re: specific campgrounds?

....and even though Sherry states it's cooler than where she lives in Florida...it'd still be alot warmer than where I am
Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #39

Name: John & Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 std. Big bed
Texas
Theresa, I think there are close to 500 rv parks in the valley. Some in towns, some in the country, others on the ocean. It all depends on what you are looking for. Check all the links from Winter Texan Times.
johnkinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Where?

I arrived in Niceville, FL. on December 2nd. at Rocky Bayou SP. Feb. 1st. I moved to Topsail Hill SP, on the coast. It has been cold with some freeze ups but no one has given me a snow shovel yet so I am quite happy about it all. This 'volunteer' thing is new to me but I am already making plans for next winter on the panhandle.
Scouter Dave