Quote of the day - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I found the Solomon curves interesting because following studies seemed to indicate the danger of turns, and how that might skew the results.

Turns are always a huge concern when driving and more so when towing the trailer.

I try to provide plenty of warning to following traffic...another reason I like the trailers rear camera... I will flash my tail lights, hit the directional signals, start slowing early, and generally pull towards the direction of the turn, particularly on right turns.

When coming to a stop, I tap my brakes to flash the tail lights, slow early, no quick stops. Again the rear camera lets me know if anyone's tucked in behind us.

Like Floyd I drive slower than traffic. Ginny always jokes when I pass some one, saying "Get the plate number, I want to write it down..."

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
This is the basis for the theory: when you are driving with the flow you encounter fewer other vehicles. When you are traveling at a slower speed than average traffic is moving you are at the mercy of every vehicle that encounters your vehicle and must negotiate around the obstruction you have created by being "the cork in the bottle" and restricting traffic flow....sooner or later someone is likely to cause a crash.
When you are going a little faster than the average you are in control of the situation and you determine the action. If you are an alert and responsible driver you can control your own destiny and not leave it to all the traffic on the road that must negotiate a way around the slow moving obstruction.
You can elect to be the obstruction or take command of the situation...the choice is yours.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I know one way we could have uniformity of speed without exceeding the safe operating parameters of RVs, large semis and doubles...

"Fifty-five Alive" anyone?

Oh, wait… we tried that one, didn't we?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Being not retired yet, so no spare time to dawdle on the roads, I say...

Sixty Five Alive.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Driving your speed is easy, Chose the Road Less Traveled, we do. It takes marginally longer, is easier to drive, more to see and saves fuel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
This is the basis for the theory: when you are driving with the flow you encounter fewer other vehicles. When you are traveling at a slower speed than average traffic is moving you are at the mercy of every vehicle that encounters your vehicle and must negotiate around the obstruction you have created by being "the cork in the bottle" and restricting traffic flow....sooner or later someone is likely to cause a crash.
When you are going a little faster than the average you are in control of the situation and you determine the action. If you are an alert and responsible driver you can control your own destiny and not leave it to all the traffic on the road that must negotiate a way around the slow moving obstruction.
You can elect to be the obstruction or take command of the situation...the choice is yours.
Very simplistic.
That's the theory... now what about reality?
The theory makes some sense only if the "flow of traffic" involves at least a 20MPH window.
There is no such thing as a "the flow of traffic" which is that place where you can relax and pay no attention, and there is no light duty TV that isn't safer without an RV trailer attached.
Realistically there is at least a 10MPH difference between the safe speed of a good TV/travel trailer set up and the same TV alone... usually more.

With the best of RV towing rigs at cruising speed, virtually every single car on the interstate will pass, many of them with a 20 MPH+ difference in speed. I will not attempt to tow at 80+MPH just to keep up, instead I will stay in the right lane and pass only when traffic allows me to do so safely. Navigating traffic while towing requires more time and anticipation than driving a car and therefore a need to go a little slower.
Things change when you drop the hitch on the ball and driving habits need to adjust to those changes.

Now... I am likely to pass you when you are towing and I am driving my Mustang, so please keep to the right and check your mirrors before changing lanes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #27

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote of the day

The problem with stats is that you can make them say whatever you like if the controls, samplings and measurements are done in a certain way. I am totally skeptical that driving slower causes YOU to get in more accidents. It may cause some of the crazies to get in more accidents as they try to pass you like a maniac, but that's their problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #28

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Driving your speed is easy, Chose the Road Less Traveled, we do. It takes marginally longer, is easier to drive, more to see and saves fuel.
That's pretty much how we feel about it. Otherwise, on a long distance, interstate drive, I try to stay either far ahead, or far behind the clumps of traffic, therefore move along "with the flow". That Solomon curve does make sense.

There is some not yet explained force of nature that causes automobiles to clump, even where there are miles between the clumps and they could all have plenty of room.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #29

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I have come to the firm conclusion that when folks see me towing my trailer on the interstate at 55 and 60 mph, they give a wide birth to "that crazy son of a gun"!!!

I use the interstate only when I have to. I miss too much otherwise.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Big Brother????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In 10-20 years Big Brother will solve this problem. Trucks and trailers in one lane at an electronically-governed towing speed and passenger vehicles in another lane also traveling at an electronically-governed speed. The traffic control computers will maintain safe vehicle separation in each lane. Passing is eliminated.

Tow rigs meet rigid specifications with periodic inspections and automatic weighings to make sure they can be safely driven at the predetermined speeds.

Fantasy?
Not to worry Jon, that very thing was predicted "Within 20 Years" in 1956, yet we are no closer now than then with this one exception.

There was a pilot project on the first carpool lanes on I-15 near NAS Miramar (Top Gun School) that GM underwrote, where they buried magnets in the road every 5 or so feet and then ran tests with trucks to see how close together they could safely run. It was about 5 miles long. The magnets were still visable as recently as 5 years ago but they have since been paved over.

Heres a link about one predicted control system, "Firebird-II to Control, over":

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Not to worry Jon, that very thing was predicted "Within 20 Years" in 1956, yet we are no closer now than then with this one exception.

There was a pilot project on the first carpool lanes on I-15 near NAS Miramar (Top Gun School) that GM underwrote, where they buried magnets in the road every 5 or so feet and then ran tests with trucks to see how close together they could safely run. It was about 5 miles long. The magnets were still visable as recently as 5 years ago but they have since been paved over.
All that AND predigested food! What more could we ask?
Thanks Bob!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #32

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I liked the Singing Ground Controller in the Tower. That made it perfect.

BTW: I still have the Firebird-II key (shown at the beginning) that they gave out at the 1956 Motorama in San Francisco.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Colorado
That study seems obvious to me. It's not necessarily absolute velocity that matters - it's relative velocity that causes the problems.
MyVyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVyoo View Post
That study seems obvious to me. It's not necessarily absolute velocity that matters - it's relative velocity that causes the problems.

Absolute velocity does matter when things go wrong. And they will anywhere outside a closed laboratory environment.

I do understand the point of relative velocity. The solution is not so obvious. Either you find a way to manage differing speeds to minimize interactions, or you require a uniform speed for all users (i.e., reduce everybody to the lowest common denominator). By and large we have chosen the former approach. Our great experiment with the latter proved spectacularly unpopular.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #35

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The key here is the relationship of speed to G loading if evasive action is needed.
The product of moving a fixed amount is squared with increase in speed.
Of importance is the .3 G limit for almost guaranteed safety. If the combination understeers at .3 G then the trailer and tow vehicle will be safe.
Faster means the G loading will be higher.
Personally not towing I drive about 72 mph and if being overtakenI just stay in the right lane.
If I am going faster than the traffic I am obviously catching, then I will pass as soon as it is safe. If I were not faster I would not have caught up with them.
I notice that 72 will result in your constantly being passed. The problem I have is that at 72 mph I will catch up with cars being passed by another car at a speed differential of about .003 mph. Trucks passing other trucks also are a problem.
I hate to dawdle next to a large truck or RV. If you have seen the result of a tire blowing out you will understand.
The trick is to plan ahead and make allowances earlier rather than later.
I will try to slow before getting to a stopped (red) light so that I don't lose very much speed after the light changes.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote