r-pods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
r-pods

Are r-pods considered fiberglass trailers? They say they are welded alum with fiberglass gel coats? The 20 ft model weighs in at 2400lb 245 tougue weight . I've been looking at scamp, casita ,lil snoozy,and now these . Interesting designs . I like having a full time bed and a dinette seperate . what are your thoughts ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
They are fibreglass, just not moulded fibreglass.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
No. Although they have fiberglass side walls, they have seams between them & the roof that are, like most stick built trailers, prone to developing leaks.

While the designs are interesting, including the addition of a slide out on some models, the ones I've looked at have very little storage space. Some models would be difficult for me at 6' - in one I would not be able to stand at the stove. I still much prefer my Escape 17B.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you check out R Pods on the internet you will find that they have been out long enough for quality issues to raise their ugly head . There are page after page of people with quality issues especially leak problems . The one I looked at listed for around $21,000 but you could buy one for under $12,000 which made me question their value
The ones we looked at appeared to be assembled by untrained ,unskilled 6th graders who were mad at their teacher
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape
R-pod

We owned and used a R-Pod with a slide for 6 months and sold it. We had a Casita 17 for a few years and many miles and now waiting for our second Escape (the new 21). The first Escape was a 19 and we now are moving to a 21 after 3 years. The R-pod needed work after every trip and Forest River just said to talk to our selling dealer about problems. The Casita was trouble free and we just moved on to something larger. Now we recommend the Escape or if the cost is a factor go for the casita, never the Forest River R-Pod.
Jack of Tucson
Jack Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
When I looked at a new one in a dealers lot I had trouble with outgassing of glues used in the interior wood. Never had that problem when my Scamp was new. Besides the smell issue they just didn't do it for me.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
I don't like the goofy way the tires stick out either side of the trailer. Why pull a 9' wide axle through traffic with an 8' wide trailer on it?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I looked at the Rpod at a RV show.
Sitting inside they looked really good.
But being an ex-cabinet/furniture maker, I saw right
off the materials were like the old trailer houses.
I knew that would not last long without having experience
with one of them.

Sitting in a convention hall and rolling down the road is two
completely different situations.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The fiberglass-reinforced plastic material and the "gelcoat" top layer of it are essentially the same on moulded fiberglass trailers and the many trailers (such as the R-Pod) which are fiberglass but not moulded. The difference is how the body is formed: the fiberglass of our "eggs" is created in a mould in the shape of the trailer; the others are built up out of parts cut from flat sheets of fiberglass... with various other materials behind the fiberglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
I don't like the goofy way the tires stick out either side of the trailer. Why pull a 9' wide axle through traffic with an 8' wide trailer on it?
You might ask the makers of the Lil Snoozy that question. There... I've tied this back to lightweight moulded fiberglass travel trailers.
Seriously, the outboard wheels approach:
  • leaves an interior clear of wheelhousings
  • simplifies body construction
  • allows design changes to the axle position with minimal consequence to body design

I don't like this design for a travel trailer, either. It is very common, and more sensible, in a cargo trailer.

By the way, the R-Pod does not have a 9-foot-wide axle, or even a 9-foot overall width - that would be over 102" and thus not legal to tow as an RV. The specified exterior width of 96" will be including the fenders; the unspecified body width should be about six and half feet, just like most eggs. The beds which occupy the entire width of the interior are 74" long, which would correspond to about a 78" outside body width, and about an 88" axle (hubface-to-hubface).

With an R-Pod (or Lil Snoozy) you're pulling an 8' wide pair of fenders through traffic with a 6.5' wide trailer between them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I like having a full time bed and a dinette seperate . what are your thoughts ?
This is common in trailers (of any body construction type) from about 16 feet in overall length and up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Many of those stick built trailers with fiberglass gelcoat have the fiberglass laminated to plain old wood. If moisture gets in, the walls can delaminate: the wood and fiberglass separate.

That can't happen with a molded FG egg.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The first time I went in an RPod at a dealer the bathroom door fell off in my hands!
The dealer said this is normal but they fix this kind of thing all the time before delivery?

The walls flexed all over and the floor was bouncy and overall the attention to detail was just silly.

What a piece of junk!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #13

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Those who own moulded fiberglass trailers seem to REALLY like them! We have a Trillium that is in amazingly good condition for such an old gal. We looked at an R Pod and hubby was sure it wasn't what he wanted - too flimsy for our gravel roads - poorly built - too many places waiting to leak. Also didn't like the cost of brand new compared to used.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #14

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
There goes the Rpod, we still researching and thought this was a good choice. I want a Casita but my DH doesnt like it, he wants an Airstream but I think they are too expensive..... We are llooking for a quality trailer that can last a long time. Any thoughts?
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Gloria, Airstreams are not only expensive, but they're heavy. What's your tow vehicle, how many beds do you need, etc?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #16

Florida
New Highlander
Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #17

Florida
Oops basically its my DH and 2 small doggies we just want something thats reliable
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might want to start a new thread with your question, I am afraid that it will be buried with the R-Pod discussion.

While there is a significant jump in prices between Molded Fiberglass RV's and Airstreams, there are, basically no alternatives between them if you want a trailer that will "Last a long time".

But some information to include:
New or Used & Approximate $$$ budget
If used, do you want a turnkey trailer or can you do some or a lot of work.
How much space do you need inside
Special Features that are "Must Haves" ex. shower etc
What you will be towing with.

Again, if you start a new thread with this info you wil get a lot more help

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
New Highlander
FWIW: You will have to look in the Owners Manual for YOUR Highlander to get a towing rating. Current range for 2014 Highlanders is from 1500 lbs with the 4 cylinder engine to as high as 5000 lbs with the 6 cylinder "When properly equipped". That last part is very important.

Towing capacity is a critical number that has to be determined accurately before your shopping even starts. If there is any question contact Toyota Customer Service with your VIN and they can help you find out what it's current capacity is and what may have to be added to increase that if necessary.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #20

Florida
I will start a new one thx, for now I think a new trailer because we dont want to do a great deal of work, at least at the beginning. We want to enjoy beginning retirement
No more than $20k, of course my budget will be stretched but could do an Airstream. Space, I guess no less than a 16. Need some type of bath/ shower, kitchen, 1 or 2 beds. New Toyota highlander.