Rain and Condensation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: D & K
Trailer: 2010 Casita Liberty
New Jersey
Rain and Condensation

Hey All!

Be interested in what you have to share in regards to rain and window condensation. We will be using our TT without A/C most of the time, in high elevations, dew/condensation is very likely to occur, etc. The TT's that we are considering: Escape, Parkliner, Casita and Scamp. All others are either too expensive, interior specs like height issues, etc.

ROOF FAN: We're VERY stuck on a MAXXAIR fan for the roof and do not want a FantasticFan, and it appears that only Escape and Parkliner have this as a feature. If we did consider buying a TT without a MAXXAIR, how easy is this to swap out? And if so, then will this compromise the seal, which will invariably leak in the long-term?

WINDOWS: We would prefer to have windows that can stay open during heavy rain. We see that Parkliner wins here with their vent windows with screens (standard), which is a great selling point for us. The Escape has double-pane, which is great for preventing dew and condensation, but it appears they can't be open during heavy rain. We see that MAXXAIR has window/maxx, but we've read in other threads that it can compromise the security of the trailer and they can only open 4 inches at a time anyway. It appears that Scamp have a combo of both slider/jalousie, and I have to admit, I don't think this style of jalousie windows are attractive at all. Casita's have all sliders.

BED CONDENSATION: We read in another thread that one ParkLiner owner who had their bed set up all the time noticed condensation forming under the cushions during colder temps and bought the Hypervent Marine to lay under it. Since we will be leaving our bed setup all the time as well, we are wondering about this for a Parkliner or any other trailer. Have you experienced this in yours?

I'm sure there are other workarounds we have not even found yet, too.

Thanks!!!
SecondEventuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondEventuality View Post

WINDOWS: We see that MAXXAIR has window/maxx, but we've read in other threads that it can compromise the security of the trailer and they can only open 4 inches at a time anyway. It appears that Scamp have a combo of both slider/jalousie, and I have to admit, I don't think this style of jalousie windows are attractive at all. Casita's have all sliders.

!
I have screens on all my Scamp windows and they do nothing to help with the rain. New Scamps come with what ever you order either sliders, jalousie or combo.

Mine has the sliders only. I added the Maxxair window maxx as many with Escapes have also done. Being able to open the side rear windows 4" in the rain is a great help. Have no idea how why anyone would suggest that they in some way compromise the trailers security. Who do you know that can crawl through a 6" open window? To get the window opening more than that they would need to rip the Maxx window vent off the trailer - even then the side windows on the Scamp are only about 9" to 10" wide when fully opened - would take a pretty small person to squeeze their way through the opening.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Condensation is an issue in most single-shell fiberglass trailers given the lack of "breathability" of the shell. I'm guessing it would be less troublesome in double-shell units like the Oliver, where temp differentials are less radical. Ventilation is key, as is key, and other measures like the one you mention above help, too.

There's a good discussion of the subject at this Escape forums link
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Not fiberglass but camplite has insulated windows that can open in the rain. I thought someone tested out that aftermarket piece that goes on side slider windows and said it worked in the rain with windows open.
Attached Thumbnails
11.jpg  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Not fiberglass but camplite has insulated windows that can open in the rain. I thought someone tested out that aftermarket piece that goes on side slider windows and said it worked in the rain with windows open.
Believe thats the Window Maxx mentioned above... I know a number of people here including myself use them.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Registry
Forgot to mention that the Hypervent material you mention is again also a pretty poplar time used by many here to control the condensation under the bed.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were in our Uhaul for almost 4 months from mid November until beginning of this month (March) and we did have condensation issues. Temperatures ranged from 30 up to 70 F outside. Bed stays made up, and condensation under and along the foam mattress was a problem, plus in other areas of the camper. We used an electric heater and it ran most of the time. We camp with the Parkliner owner that uses the Hypervent and plan to get some for our trailer. A year ago we used a canopy over the whole trailer which was nice for rain and shade, but heavy and bulky to carry around and set up. Retrofitted one window with a jalousie which is nice when it rains, but now we installed a bag awning and that window is under the awning. The other 3 windows are sliders.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
ROOF FAN: We're VERY stuck on a MAXXAIR fan for the roof and do not want a FantasticFan, and it appears that only Escape and Parkliner have this as a feature. If we did consider buying a TT without a MAXXAIR, how easy is this to swap out? And if so, then will this compromise the seal, which will invariably leak in the long-term?

Quite easy to change out a fan though I personally have no problems with Fantastic Fans. As to compromising seals, any time you have a hole in the roof a leak can develop whether the hole contains a Maxxair or Fantastic Fan, even if factory installed. If you had a defective Maxxair that had to be replaced, the replacement would have to be properly sealed, and even then it could develop a leak so your concern is unjustified. One must keep in mind that rolling a motel room on wheels down the road with bumps and structural flex is far more stressful to that motel room than if it were permanently placed in one position. Even then, with the beating provided by the environment, things can and will go wrong.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try one of these solid state dehumidifiers: I drilled a hole in the resivor, place the unit in the sink and just let it run continuously.

Amazon.com - Eva-Dry Edv-2200 Mid-Size Dehumidifier -
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Name: D & K
Trailer: 2010 Casita Liberty
New Jersey
This is why this forum rocks - you guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the clarification on many misconceptions we had, as well as the additional ideas!!!!!!!!!!

SecondEventuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

Registry
Its always hard to decide what trailer you really want! Best advise is go to a trailer rally near you and check out many of the brands out there - whether they be new or old....

Re the security concerns, don't over worry yourself to much over the different brands in that regard. The reality is if someone wants in your trailer they will get into it. On most trailers it simple means taking out the 6 or 8 screws on the door hinge and they can go right on through the front door! ;-)
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
never sleep in a fiberglass trailer without the roof vent open.It only needs a half inch opening but that is enough to mitigate the condensation from breathing which forms on the windows and other places.
As for the Fantastic Fan... nobody stands behind any product better than they do, eventhough you seldom need their support (great product!)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
We're the ParkLiner owners who use the Hypervent Marine product. You just trim it to fit the corners with a heavy duty pair of scissors (EMT scissors are ideal) and keep it in two pieces. It provides a 3/4" gap for air circulation under the cushions and has solved our condensation problem. If we want to take up the bed, we roll up the two pieces, tie with Velcro straps and stash one in an overhead cabinet and the other in the closet. Takes less that 5 minutes.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I think pretty much all campers have a condensation problems. Even my tag-alongs, 5ers and my Class C I previous owned all had the problem. We just wipe the windows down in the mornings and live with it. Hey it's camping. LOL
Old 03-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #15

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Max/Fan

Quote:
Hey All!

Be interested in what you have to share in regards to rain and window condensation. We will be using our TT without A/C most of the time, in high elevations, dew/condensation is very likely to occur, etc. The TT's that we are considering: Escape, Parkliner, Casita and Scamp. All others are either too expensive, interior specs like height issues, etc.

WINDOWS: We would prefer to have windows that can stay open during heavy rain. We see that Parkliner wins here with their vent windows with screens (standard), which is a great selling point for us. The Escape has double-pane, which is great for preventing dew and condensation, but it appears they can't be open during heavy rain. We see that MAXXAIR has window/maxx, but we've read in other threads that it can compromise the security of the trailer and they can only open 4 inches at a time anyway. It appears that Scamp have a combo of both slider/jalousie, and I have to admit, I don't think this style of jalousie windows are attractive at all. Casita's have all sliders.

BED CONDENSATION: We read in another thread that one ParkLiner owner who had their bed set up all the time noticed condensation forming under the cushions during colder temps and bought the Hypervent Marine to lay under it. Since we will be leaving our bed setup all the time as well, we are wondering about this for a Parkliner or any other trailer. Have you experienced this in yours?

I'm sure there are other workarounds we have not even found yet, too.

Thanks!!!
A Max/Fan can be installed in any trailer roof. I have installed twin the roofs of Bigfoot's Trailers.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote