RAT FUR..CAT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
OK, I just finished a glue job on my egg's rat fur. Miss Shelia does not get it that this is not a literal description. She understands the word mouse and I guess she has added rat to her vocabulary. When mom says, “do not scratch the rat fur”, she must think it is a critter. I thought about a scratch post screwed to the wall…..but would guess she is hooked on the feel of the rat fur. Any suggestions? No, I will not kill the cat gentlemen before you go there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelia_nosey_april_2006.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	2412
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
This is a tough one. 1) Get some temporary scratch-and-sniff lining which gives off a cougar smell. 2) Get a dog instead. 3) Divert the cat's attention with yummies (the carrot approach). 4) Swat the cat with a soft foam thingie (the stick approach). 5) Get a Burro (no liner). 6) Apologize to the cat for making a mistake and explain that it is actually lion fur and the danger is too great.

All seriousness aside, if there is a cat repellant which is benign enough to be safely put on the rat fur without ruining it or your own sensibilities it just might work. It's easier with our dog: a firm NO will do it.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Your only opton is to put some sacraficial rat fur for the cat to enjoy (destroy). Cats will not be denied from clawing something they have decided they like. A good scratch post that the cat likes from the house might help.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
HAR!!!

The cat probably thought "How wonderful Mom is! She REALLY loves me! She bought me this GIANT scratching post!!!!"

Not something you would think of, putting a cat in a carpeted room and what would result..

I have never had any luck getting my cats (When I had them) to stop scratching on stuff. I think it is something you learn to live with.. like.. if you have a toddler, everything in site will be sticky.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
wow!!! what a gorgeous animal you have!! forget the rat fur and celebrate having such a beautiful companion. what breed?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
wow!!! what a gorgeous animal you have!! forget the rat fur and celebrate having such a beautiful companion. what breed?

I agree! what a hunky feline!

But I bet Miss Sheila is not a "breed" just a result of "good breeding" (aka dumb luck!). I mean -- striped tail, spotted coat, attitude, won't stop hunting to pose for a photo, a real find!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I'd have the cat de-clawed. Before anyone reacts in horror, please check with your vet and get the facts.

Over the years, we have had five different cats. The first cat had all claws intact, and for three years she wreaked havoc with our furniture, clothing, and occasionally skins. We tried every bribe and every humane discouragement known to man, to no avail. Finally, and very reluctantly, we decided to have Daphne declawed.

Oh, miracle of miracles! Daphne still approached all the world as a scratching post - still enjoyed that lo-o-ong luxuriant stretch before whipping her front toes against the upholstery, still responded to petting by kneading our arms with her toes. But now she drew no blood and destroyed no fabric! Outside, she still climbed, acted the same in every way, but no longer was destructive. The vet assured us that with her strong back claws intact, she still had her defenses.

The only effect of declawing the cat was an end to the havoc her front hooks had wreaked. The four cats who followed Daphne have all been all de-clawed at first opportunity.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
Mac And I have had a few discussions about the useing the rat fur as a scratching post.
This worked well for Mac
he has a scratching post out where i can trip over it but is easy for him to get to.
if Mac should decide to use the ratfur to clean his claws then i pick him up ( not saying a word) and place his claws on the post untill he scratches the post.
And every time he scatches the post he gets praise for being a good kitty.
Mac likes praise almost as much as he likes shrimp treats
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you and Shelia thanks you also. She is a hybrid of the Asian Lepoard, a F4 bengal cat.. Just legal in Georgia as of last summer. She is her mom's little girl and will be one yr May 10. She will not finish growing until she is 2 yr. I am putting a pic of the Asian Lepoard for you.

Thank you all for suggestions. I guess I will try what Al V and mac do and Yep, I love her so much...I will just buy lots of glue. She will be at the SE Gathering with me in May.
Attached Thumbnails
ALC3.jpg  
Old 04-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
HAR!!!

The cat probably thought "How wonderful Mom is! She REALLY loves me! She bought me this GIANT scratching post!!!!"

Not something you would think of, putting a cat in a carpeted room and what would result..

I have never had any luck getting my cats (When I had them) to stop scratching on stuff. I think it is something you learn to live with.. like.. if you have a toddler, everything in site will be sticky.
Yes, Shelia has her Mom well trained! The egg was Shelia's very first home. When I purchased, rescued, this 2 lb sickly kitten, we lived in the egg for a couple or three weeks. She is absolute positive this is "HER" egg.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
OK, I just finished a glue job on my egg's rat fur. Miss Shelia does not get it that this is not a literal description. She understands the word mouse and I guess she has added rat to her vocabulary. When mom says, “do not scratch the rat fur”, she must think it is a critter. I thought about a scratch post screwed to the wall…..but would guess she is hooked on the feel of the rat fur. Any suggestions? No, I will not kill the cat gentlemen before you go there.

It would appear that this is close to an old saying about cake and eating.

"You can't have your kitty cat and rat fur too."

Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Add me to the list of people who have owned cats for about 20 years now, and I haven't had ANY success in training one with their claws to stick to an approved cat post.

Ruined window sills, woodwork, costly window screens, furniture.... I said well sorry cat- either you go or your claws go.

There are SO many people who are so against de-clawing, but none of our cats have changed in any way after their de-claw, either in personality or how agile they are...... of course they are indoor cats only, too. They don't need their claws to catch tons of mice either.

Once the the things a cat ruins adds up, it's a blessing to have them de-clawed.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 73 Boler
If this is any help. My cat used to scratch the arm of our couch until (Insert evil laugh)..........I put a few strips of clear packing tape on the arm. She would not touch the packing tape because it was slippery and didnt feel good to her.

You might try packing tape in her favorite spot.

Now my secret to those nasty hair balls. Clean up is easy if you buy carpet the same color as her hair balls.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote