re-introducing myself and my new(est) U Haul! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
hello folks,

i chimed in a short while back with my big news of scoring a 13' CT from southern Cal and lots of hopes and dreams for bringing it up to spec. let me step back and say the one i really wanted in New York (which had been modified and had a real flush SeaLand toilet/bathroom to replace the front bunk area) - had just been sold - right as i got up the nerve to buy something across the country.

well, it became quite the drama.

i got over losing the New York CT, and i drove 8 hours down to Riverside, CA to pick one up with guarantees of Title and everything just peachy and the CT needing only a little TLC. well, i got there and it was now dark. luckily i had a mag light and i could see it would need some work - but overall i was pleased as it was still a good deal. so the kid selling his grandparent's CT, says he couldn't find the title after all... WHAT???? the listing said "Title In Hand!" ughhhh! i should have just turned around then ... but he was mellow and reassuring and i had already done all of my homework knowing that with a bill of sale, contact info and a VIN number we could do the paperwork retroactively ... dummy. i decide to go for it thinking with my heart not my head. hell, i borrowed a V8, spent a TON on gas just for the trip, i knew i wasn't going to make the trip again, and honestly - the kid in me said there was no way i was leaving empty handed! i'd sort it out later. well, we go to hook it up and no lights ... ok, so what the heck? he says i could go get a temporary add-on set and i'm like "its 10pm - nothing is open and i need to be at work in the morning." we turn out his garage and i found a set - he says "i'll sell them to you." now i am quite, well - pissed off (pardon my French) ... i said "how about no, you should have checked this, we hook up something that works, and i'll send them back to you?" (yeah right) ... as i was already walking out of the garage with lights in hand. i hooked it up, paid, and got out of there.

i got the little fella home and still had many challenges ahead. i live in a tiny condo and am not allowed to park it in our lot, storage in the tiny town of Monterey is astronomical, and i bought this as a hobby egg knowing it would need a few weekends of work to get it up to my standards (but where to do it?) ... not to mention the impending Title fun at the DMV ...

i spent days on the phone with the DMV and printed 5 different forms to legitimize the transaction, typed them all out, put little stickies with the "Sign Here" where his grandmother needed to sign, FedExed it with a SASE for an easy return, and .... then he moved out of state, took the cash, turned off the phone numbers and ... here i was with my 13' paper weight. although despondent, i still spent weekends working on it getting it prepped for general use and for some serious renovation hoping all would work out. one afternoon, so frustrated and with nothing to lose, i threw my hands up, walked into the DMV with everything i had to show for (a wrinkled bill of sale), and told the lady the entire story. she looked at me for a long time ... like i just landed on earth and finally said "here fill this out - and write everything you just said down in the section that says 'Other'." i was like "are you serious - i just tell my story and that counts?" feeling traction for the first time during this whole ordeal - i was cautiously optimistic now. i handed over the papers and she told me to give her some money and handed me a receipt and said the Title would arrive in 2-4 weeks and the PTI was renewed! i couldn't believe it was that easy. i think i scared her. 7 days later i was holding a brand new Title with my name on it!

as the first part of the saga drew to a close, the night after i went to the DMV, i got a phone call from New York... it was the fella who was selling the original CT 13' with the bathroom modification! yep, his buyer flaked and he remembered i really wanted it so he gave me first dibs. feast or famine! now i am looking at the possibility of having 2 CT's when i thought it would take forever to just get one! talked to my wife saying it would be easy to sell the first one, since we are in Central Cal and folks would come from north or south for it, realistically with my work travel it would take a while longer than anticipated to do my renovation and most important was i still dont have a home or a garage to do it nicely. we decided to go for it!

i bought the NY CT and now my challenge was how to get it here. welcome to the world of vehicle transportation ... what a nightmare! i was immediately scammed by a bunch of crooks and lost money on a contract that was fake while waiting for weeks for someone to pick up the U Haul in vain. i finally found a really nice Irish transportation broker and he found me a nice trucker who would pick up my "wee lettle trayylurrrr" as the Broker referred to it in his heavy Irish accent. i had even considered driving out and renting one-way but the cost was just so ridiculous.i even discussed a crazy idea with our fellow egger here on the forums (Roy in TO) to meet half way as he wanted a VT in Nor Cal - but it got snapped up before he could make the deal.

finally a month after buying the NY CT, it arrived - and the trucker cut my distance in half when he realized how far i was going to pick it up from him and he had a drop off closer to me. BONUS! finally things were going my way! all the while folks at my office were catching egg fever too since it was all i was talking about. so much so that a couple of folks were wondering what i was doing with the first CT i bought ... so, it is now sitting at the home of one of the girls i work with and she has decided with her husband that they want it. meanwhile, this weekend - i took CT #2 out on its first trip to Big Sur and though i still haven't sorted out the water and propane - we had a total blast!!!

the bathroom is such a HUGE plus for my wife and i (no kids yet) and now that the hard work is done (black tank, plumbing, etc.) i plan to glass up the interior of the bathroom, add a shower pan, a vent, and even add the little corner sink to make it complete. we love our little egg!

whew.

so, once again ... (re-)presenting (the 2nd Edition of) ... Thee Bald Eggle:

after a long journey to it's new home ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	27567

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	27568

"Baldie" at the (temporary) nest:

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	27569

Looks like the curtains and cushion covers are all original!

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	27570

view of the bathroom mod - awesome!

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	27571

Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #2

Registry

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	27572

Toilet mod and we are stoked!

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	27573

The Bald Eggle on it's first trip ever ... AWESOME!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #3

Trailer: R-Vision
It's never easy, I've had title deals like that happen over the years, what a PITA!
Glad you got the rig you wanted.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Very nice! I can't believe that you kept at it after all that crap.

That bathroom is better than what we have in the VT. We have a porta-potty that slides under the front seat. We have a shower though. You and your wife will like it when you put it in. We use the campground facilities if they are nice enough, but it is nice to have the shower when they are not nice.

I wonder if the wall from the bathroom would be structure enough if you decided to add air conditioning, but maybe that is not something you care about. I am a glamper and like my comforts. We look for water hookups and electricity when we camp.

CindyL
Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Very nice! I can't believe that you kept at it after all that crap.

That bathroom is better than what we have in the VT. We have a porta-potty that slides under the front seat. We have a shower though. You and your wife will like it when you put it in. We use the campground facilities if they are nice enough, but it is nice to have the shower when they are not nice.

I wonder if the wall from the bathroom would be structure enough if you decided to add air conditioning, but maybe that is not something you care about. I am a glamper and like my comforts. We look for water hookups and electricity when we camp.

CindyL
It looks like there is air already..yes?

Your persistence paid off and your story is a stark reminder to every reader of what lies out there waiting in the weeds to prey on the trusting.

Happy trails!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #6

Registry
thanks everyone for the support! yeah - we have indeed learned some very valuable lessons. of course - if you want anything bad enough, you can make it happen. you just have to be stubborn and it helps to have your entire tax return laying around and a trusting wife!

actually, there is no a/c - thats the battery (outside on the rear bumper)! i guess the PO didn't want the battery inside, and i appreciate that, but i wouldn't have minded that mod not being done. again, since this is the only CT i have ever seen with a real toilet, i had to jump on it. they did a great job of welding it to the tube trailer so its solid.

Cindy, oh yes - we know about glamping! i am trying to be minimalist, but i agree that having a little bit of everything makes up completely self-contained and i plan to do a lot of dry camping and boondocking so this will really make things comfortable. and your (and Kevin's) entries in particular have been a huge help and inspiration for us!

just happy to have our first trip behind us and since someone listed a top 10 with Kirk Creek as the #1 campsite in the US yesterday ... well, we're taking the Bald Eggle on down there this weekend/ hope to see everyone out there on the road!

thanks again.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wow, guess you really wanted a egg. Most people would have thrown up their hands and said forget it!

But from the looks of it, it was worth the hassle! Congrats! Enjoy!

We to experienced two to many eggs in a short amount of time, but Thankfully we didn't have the bad experiences you did. Glad it all worked out for you, and you got the egg you wanted.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Geez---sorry you had to deal with such creeps!! I don't get dishonest people!

BUT---------What a nice camper you got! So glad the first seller was kind enough to get back to you!!!

Have fun---you deserve it!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Wow, what a story! Glad things turned out better for you.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
your story is one that curls my hair!! yikes!! i am glad that it has a happy ending, though, by selling the second one...and there are definitely lessons for us all to learn from....

HAPPY CAMPING!!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
BTW, Paul,
Those ARE the original curtains. The table-top is not original, unless the PO covered the beige one with wood (certainly looks better than ours - ours is particle board).
You could do something to the battery box like we did with our Burro that we had before the VT. We enclosed the window air conditioner that we put into the back of the Burro with a cut-up cooler. When driving, it looked like an attached cooler. Some guy asked Kevin for a cold one once.

CindyL

Attached Thumbnails
Burro_air_conditioner.jpg   Burro_cooler.jpg  

Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #12

Registry
thanks everyone! yeah ... i got a few grays hairs on this one. and they are my first! but i somehow just felt that this was something i really wanted to do and i never do anything half-way. all or nothing. so i just got the electric running and the propane and last is the plumbing and tomorrow we are off to Kirk Creek for a memorable and romantic getaway to a beach-side campground ... and thats what this is all about so in the end, it was all worth it.

and Cindy - i have the EXACT same cooler (in red) and planned to do the cutaway-cover mod for our battery just as you and Kevin did!

this place rocks! if i can only stop with the camping long enough to begin the mods, i can try to give back a little ...

thanks everyone for the kind words.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Congrats on your new(to you) egg.Persistance pays off.Pat.

Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul