re-looking at a scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #21

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
He is asking 7200...i had him down to 6600...so i do not think he is way out of line....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
After at least one winter is Sotaminna (?) Any cracks through the fiberglass will have left stains on the inside lining. Look for those, no stains = not too bad.

The caps also prevent deteriation of the rivet heads and leaks through the center hole of the pop-rivet. I have also found steel rivets in place that either the factory or a P.O. installed by mistake, needles to say, they were usually rusty.

SCAMP sells an entire kit based on model and/or you can buy them in bulk, including the longer rivets needed. Every SCAMP owner should have a pop-rivet tool as a standard item in ones tool box. (Along with the correct drills to drill out and replace old ones)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
He is asking 7200...i had him down to 6600...so i do not think he is way out of line....
If you can get it for 6600 that sounds pretty good. For peace of mind you could always send the picture to Scamp and see what they say about it. Leaving these campers outside all year will punish them with the Sun and of coarse snow load. I have always kept my campers in the barn when not in use, or at least for the winter. I do think that a dose of Capt Trolley would probably fix the stress cracks. Is this the Standard Scamp? What does it have in it ie. 3way fridge, furnace, etc. ? I have also found that most camper owners don't look on the roof unless they notice a problem from the inside.And I take it that's a 13' ?
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
I looked back through the thread and don't see the size mentioned... is this a 16 footer, or a smaller model?

Also: Does it have electric brakes and a clear Title?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Tim, it appears to be a pretty bare bones 13'. No fan or ac, no rear overhead bins, no furnace or it cant be seen in the photo, no awning, limited interior lighting. It does have the optional screen door though. Due to its age it will probable need some new tires and a battery if those have not been updated recently.

I think the problem is that no one can say without pulling back the rat fur what if any structural damage may be under where the gelcoat has cracked. It may be it happened due to snow load just last winter - what happens if it structurally damaged and it is subjected to the same snow load again? IMHO the price does seem fair assuming there is nothing else seriously wrong with the trailer and the seller has title. The price does seem to leave some room for the cost of repairing the roof although perhaps not enough, if the purchaser really wants the gelcoat repair to be totally invisible once done & not able to do much if any of the repair themselves.

I agree sending a photo of the damage to Scamp and asking them what they would charge to fix it might be a worth while doing, but have a hunch they might say they need to see it up close.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #26

Minnesota
It is a 13' and i think it was the options package.....no brakes and i believe the title is clear......
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #27

Minnesota
I sent the photo to scamp yesterday and have not heard back from them yet...
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Photo to SCAMP

SCAMP is somewhat notorious for not replying to emails. Give them a call and ask if they have seen the pic, be at the ready to send it again while you are on the phone.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
It is a 13' and i think it was the options package.....no brakes and i believe the title is clear......
Though some feel otherwise, I insist on brakes for anything I tow over 500 pounds, so that's something that I would have to install. Good news is that it can be done for less than $500.00- much less if one's a do-it-yourselfer.
Per the cracks on the roof:
I agree that it looks like gelcoat damage, likely caused by snowloading (unless someone had an air conditioner up there that's since been removed). That's most likely only a cosmetic defect. Spraying a good hard stream of water on those cracks would tell you right away if they're through the fiberglass as well.

Bottom line in my at-a-distance opinion:

I think the price too high for a 13 footer, regardless of model year., and that's why the trailer hasn't sold yet.

The trouble with "newer" trailers of this type is actually one of the things that make them so desirable: molded fiberglass doesn't age in the same way that other trailer types do. A thirty-forty year old unit is often just as sound as a five year old unit- sometimes even more sound, depending on the brand/area of the country/care received.

Since the seller contacted you, it sounds like he's pretty eager to sell:

If I really liked the trailer and the Title was clear, I might offer him $5,000.00 cash.

And don't hesitate to turn the tables a bit and tell him you've got "3 or 4 other trailers you're looking at, so he'd better make up his mind!"

Best of luck to you...

Francesca

P.S. ON EDIT

When I described the roof cracks as "cosmetic", I did NOT mean to imply that they needn't be repaired. Especially in freezing climates, water intrusion will cause spreading/widening and they may well creep in any climate. They should be dealt with soon to prevent such spreading, if only by sanding the ends of the present cracks smooth until more permanent repairs can be made.

F.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #30

Minnesota
Francesca that is exactly what i did...he told me he wasn't willing to go any lower, but he would drive two and a half of the three and a half hour distance to bring it to me.

I called scamp and they said it was likely gel coat and that was repairable at any body shop and estimated it would be abou $250 if they fixed it...

I don't know though...something still seems off to me.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Francesca that is exactly what i did...he told me he wasn't willing to go any lower, but he would drive two and a half of the three and a half hour distance to bring it to me.

I called scamp and they said it was likely gel coat and that was repairable at any body shop and estimated it would be abou $250 if they fixed it...

I don't know though...something still seems off to me.
Wave the cash under his nose and let him sweat!

Did you ask about the Title?

Francesca
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #32

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
and check the vin number on the title
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For me, '...something still seems off to me..." spells no deal - if I'm not comfortable with what's going down, there's a reason, even if "But I Want It" syndrome is present. I usually let things sit for a week or two, then revisit it - if the unease persists, that settles it.

Pricing is hard to determine, as so many factors are at play; location, condition, buyer/seller urgency, time of the year - all have an impact on asking price and negotiations.

FWIW, I paid $4,500 Cdn for my '74 Trillium 1300, in above average condition - clean, working fridge, stove and furnace, no leaks, no issues. And that's in Newfoundland, where FG Eggs are few and far between, and there tends to be an upcharge because it's on the island....
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #34

Minnesota
I checked that the title was clear before we went to look at it the first time...i did not, however, check the vin against the title. I would do that before finalizing a deal though. It felt off the first time i looked as well...i will shoot him another offer in a couple of days and see what happens....i know he is anxious to sell it, and i have been looking but it isn't necessary that i purchase one immediately i guess...AND this one doesn't have a couple of things that i really want....so i would have to add that in as well...now i am getting close the cost of a brand new one me thinks.....
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post

FWIW, I paid $4,500 Cdn for my '74 Trillium 1300, in above average condition - clean, working fridge, stove and furnace, no leaks, no issues. And that's in Newfoundland, where FG Eggs are few and far between, and there tends to be an upcharge because it's on the island....
Excellent case-in-point...in today's market this sounds like a fair deal.

And I'd like to point out that Trillium interior cabinets are glassed on, in effect making them an integral part of the trailer's body structure. I think this mode of construction superior to the rivet-attachment used by Scamp and others and would place such trailers higher in the dollar-value list, all other things being equal.

But then of course I own a (only one!)Trillium....

Francesca
Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #36

Minnesota
And that may be part of my issue. I really like the casitas and burros (and probably the uhauls, although i have not actually seen one) because i like the clean look to the fiberglass on the inside....to me the rat fur makes it feel smaller.... i also like the molded in cabinets....do not seem to be many trilliums around here though....
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
You got a deal! Even in BC where there are lots of Fiberglass trailers you can expect to pay that or more for that age Trillium.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #38

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Cricket, You didn't mention what's on the inside, does it have a 3way fridge, fantastic fan etc. I didn't see the photo's unless I missed them. Also what is important to you as a camper that you might want in the camper ie. 3way fridge or ice box etc. My point is if you want something more and don't have the know how to add what you want, better off waiting till something else comes along that fits your style better. My self I have bought a few Scamps over the years and fixed them made many mods and resold them. A 2008 isn't very old for a fiberglass trailer, what does a new one cost with the same build? I do know that they have really went up in price over the last couple of years. You can always flash a real low number at the owner then go from there. Point out that its going to need some work, maybe tires etc. Good Luck
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #39

Minnesota
It's pretty bare bones I think...whatever the scamp "options" package is...

Bunks in front, cabinet over the top of them. 3 way fridge (I think I would prefer an icebox), screen door. I think that's it for options. No fantastic fan (which I would like to have), no furnace (that I don't really want anyway). One plug in, sink, stove, water tank and city water inlet, battery, one lp tank....that about sums it up.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #40

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In Calgary, you can expect to pay nearly $20,000 for a brand new 13' Trillium / Outback. Maybe more, depending on options.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp