Recommendations for a newbie? <$25k, <2000 lb, reliable brand? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Under 2000# fully loaded means a 13’er. New and under $25K is a field of one: Scamp (and they’re over a year out on production). There are other current manufacturers of 13’ers- Happier Camper, Armadillo, and a few more- but they are over $25K once you equip them similar to a Scamp.

Used, it really has more to do with care and maintenance than brand. Take it on a case-by-case basis. There are a lot of 13’ers, but if you want an onboard bathroom, it’s pretty much Scamp and Casita in the 13’ class.

You’re already running into the Achille’s heel of molded trailers. Scams abound, and small ones are the worst. Study www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com to get a sense of current prices (they filter out scams). If the price on an unfiltered site is way low, it’s almost certainly a scam. If there’s any attempt to extract payment without physically inspecting a trailer (“it’s wrapped in storage and ready to ship to you”) it’s a scam. If you’re buying at a distance, some sellers will hold a trailer with a small deposit. It’s a risk you’ll have to decide you’re willing to take. Don’t expect anyone to hold more than a day or two.

Realize you are entering an extremely overheated seller’s market.

OTOH, my local Craigslist is filled with larger, conventional travel trailers at pretty reasonable prices. You said something about parking it on a piece of land, and in my mind that means you will need on-board sanitary facilities. I guess I’m still not clear about your intentions for the trailer. How you plan to use it determines what type and size trailer is the best fit and value for you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #22

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: In the market
NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Under 2000# fully loaded means a 13’er. New and under $25K is a field of one: Scamp (and they’re over a year out on production). There are other current manufacturers of 13’ers- Happier Camper, Armadillo, and a few more- but they are over $25K once you equip them similar to a Scamp.

Used, it really has more to do with care and maintenance than brand. Take it on a case-by-case basis. There are a lot of 13’ers, but if you want an onboard bathroom, it’s pretty much Scamp and Casita in the 13’ class.

You’re already running into the Achille’s heel of molded trailers. Scams abound, and small ones are the worst. Study www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com to get a sense of current prices (they filter out scams). If the price on an unfiltered site is way low, it’s almost certainly a scam. If there’s any attempt to extract payment without physically inspecting a trailer (“it’s wrapped in storage and ready to ship to you”) it’s a scam. If you’re buying at a distance, some sellers will hold a trailer with a small deposit. It’s a risk you’ll have to decide you’re willing to take. Don’t expect anyone to hold more than a day or two.

OTOH, my local Craigslist is filled with larger, conventional travel trailers at pretty reasonable prices. You said something about parking it on a piece of land, and in my mind that means you will need on-board sanitary facilities. I guess I’m still not clear about your intentions for the trailer. How you plan to use it determines what type and size trailer is the best fit and value for you.
Thanks very much for all this info.

After emailing Scamp and them telling me they are back-ordered until 2023, I am considering buying a new The LTW from Chalet (not fiberglass): https://chaletinc.com/the-ltw/?fbcli...17eHeFYOn-o_iA

I plan to park it on land, but I also have a few destinations in mind I want to travel to with it. I'm okay with no on-board sanitary facilities
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
A frame trailers have their own issues. Google will get you the lowdown. Personally, I would never, ever, buy an A frame trailer for stationary duty. Now if I was going to travel, I might consider it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #24

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
A frame trailers have their own issues. Google will get you the lowdown. Personally, I would never, ever, buy an A frame trailer for stationary duty. Now if I was going to travel, I might consider it.
I saw a lot of people complaining about leaks, though there were a few comments about how the Chalet brand is the best, in terms of A-frame trailers. Might have been posted by Chalet though lol. If I ALWAYS keep it covered while stationary, so it NEVER gets rained on, what do you think? Or are there other issues aside from leakage?
Old 04-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #25

NJ
Quote:

What brands, aside from Armadillo and Happier, would be <2000 lbs but over $25k? I may consider it, having not realized before how difficult it is to get anything right now
Old 04-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #26

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
What brands, aside from Armadillo and Happier, would be <2000 lbs but over $25k? I may consider it, having not realized before how difficult it is to get anything right now
Relic, which is a specialty custom unit with a vintage shell, and Outback, which has a poor reputation for timely deliveries. There’s also the Helio O2, which is all composite but not molded in the traditional sense.

Not a lot, I’m afraid.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:06 PM   #27

NJ
Quote:
Relic, which is a specialty custom unit with a vintage shell, and Outback, which has a poor reputation for timely deliveries. There’s also the Helio O2, which is all composite but not molded in the traditional sense.

Not a lot, I’m afraid.
Thanks Jon! Will see if any of those can get me an RV in <2 months and then consider
Old 04-27-2021, 06:48 AM   #28

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Jon! Will see if any of those can get me an RV in <2 months and then consider
Under 2 months and molded fiberglass means used. Most build to order, and even in slow times, 3-6 months is typical.

Not sure, but I think Helio sells through dealers, so there might be inventory out there. It's a long shot in the current market.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #29

NJ
Quote:
Under 2 months and molded fiberglass means used. Most build to order, and even in slow times, 3-6 months is typical.

Not sure, but I think Helio sells through dealers, so there might be inventory out there. It's a long shot in the current market.
Speaking of Helio, I just saw this morning there is a dealer about 8 hours from me that has some currently in stock. Going to read about Helio now (do you know if they have a good reputation?)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Two owners have posted in this forum. You can locate their posts using the "site search/Google" at the bottom of the search menu. A search on "Helio" should turn them up.

I do recall reading one early production unit had some flaws (bubbles) in the fiberglass. They were working with Helio to resolve it, but I never heard the end of the story. Other than that I haven't heard much.

You could message the owners to get a follow-up report. Don't know if they're still paying attention to this forum, though.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #31

NJ
Quote:
Two owners have posted in this forum. You can locate their posts using the "site search/Google" at the bottom of the search menu. A search on "Helio" should turn them up.

I do recall reading one early production unit had some flaws (bubbles) in the fiberglass. They were working with Helio to resolve it, but I never heard the end of the story. Other than that I haven't heard much.

You could message the owners to get a follow-up report. Don't know if they're still paying attention to this forum, though.
Thanks Jon, will do
Old 04-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #32

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
NJ DMV is notoriously anal when trying to register a travel trailer that does not have solid proof of ownership, like a title. I bought an old 16 foot Scamp many years ago without one and they made me jump through half a dozen hoops and it took 5 months before I got issued plates. Make sure the trailer serial number (mine was barely visible, stamped into the tongue iron) matches.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #33

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
It gets even more complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
NJ DMV is notoriously anal when trying to register a travel trailer that does not have solid proof of ownership, like a title. I bought an old 16 foot Scamp many years ago without one and they made me jump through half a dozen hoops and it took 5 months before I got issued plates. Make sure the trailer serial number (mine was barely visible, stamped into the tongue iron) matches.
And it gets even more complex on the older Scamps when Scamp did not use the 17 digit vin number and they also moved it around. (plus, on mine the LP tank pan covers part of the number.)

From the Scamp web page. Q. Where is the VIN number?
A. The serial or VIN number is located on the tongue of the trailer on the door side. It is stamped into the top of the 3″ x 1 ½” tubing. There were a few trailers made in the 70’s where the serial number was stamped on the top of the tongue opposite the door.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #34

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wow that's so annoying. Classic NJ lol, all those tax dollars and the system sucks. Somehow other states collect 20% as much taxes but do everything NJ does, without all the bs. Lol. Thanks for the heads up would have had no idea otherwise
Old 04-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #35

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Wow that's so annoying.

Even more annoying to have your trailer stolen and for the state to allow the thief to register it with no checks.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #36

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Even more annoying to have your trailer stolen and for the state to allow the thief to register it with no checks.
Lol that is a good point. I'm just already triggered about other New Jersey laws lol
Old 04-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #37

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
And never make the mistake of thinking a certified bill of sale is worth more than the paper it is written on.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #38

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300, 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Considering size and Weight

See The Trillium 1300, Bigfoot 13, as well made, well designed lightweight insulated trailers that hold their value. THe Trillium weighs close to 1000 lbs, easy to tow with almost any vehicle and at 13 feet, easy to manuever.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #39

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
James in NJ, I was reading a post about a woman who just got a Scamp from Scamp directly as someone cancelled their order.
You may want to contact them and asked to be put on a cancellation list.

***Edit, I see in another thread you just got a Scamp.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Take issue about this website for listing RV. I have a great RV listed never actually used and excellent product from Liberty. Min-Max. only ever heard from scammers.

any one suggest elsewhere to list?

Rena
RenaK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco