Recommendations for a newbie? <$25k, <2000 lb, reliable brand? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
Recommendations for a newbie? <$25k, <2000 lb, reliable brand?

Hey all,

After some much appreciated help in the intro forum, I've decided these are the specifications I want:

- <$25k
- <2000 lbs (so I can tow it with my current vehicle)
- As large as possible within the price and weight point, from a reliable brand
- Well-insulated would also be a plus

Any recommendations on brands or specific models?

Thanks very much
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Hey all,

After some much appreciated help in the intro forum, I've decided these are the specifications I want:

- <$25k
- <2000 lbs (so I can tow it with my current vehicle)
- As large as possible within the price and weight point, from a reliable brand
- Well-insulated would also be a plus

Any recommendations on brands or specific models?

Thanks very much
You will have slim pickens. Less than 2000 pounds.
Ths may help.
https://www.thewaywardhome.com/ultra...r-2000-pounds/
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Ths may help.
Thank you
Old 04-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
The Scamp picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Ths may help.
.....is the old style. Many changes (for the good) have been made this year.
Still the same basic shape, but new door and many other additions.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/

You will need to stay with a basic 13' to get the weight down. I just looked at the page and the information is for a 2023 Scamp.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
.....is the old style. Many changes (for the good) have been made this year.
Still the same basic shape, but new door and many other additions.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/

You will need to stay with a basic 13' to get the weight down. I just looked at the page and the information is for a 2023 Scamp.
Thank you, the Scamp 16' says it is 1750 - 2000 lbs - would you recommend against it though because then I can't load extra stuff inside of it?

Edit: Any recommendations on where to get a used Scamp? Is Craigslist the place to go?
Old 04-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
My advice for anyone new to RVing is buy a clean used unit and learn the ropes with it. It will allow you to decide what's important to you in your next rig and you'll probably be able to recoup what you paid when you move on to the next one.
My advice for buying a clean used fiberglass rv is have cash and be ready to move fast. The website Fiberglass RVs 4 Sale and this forum are good places to look. You may have luck on your local Craigs list, but watch out for scammers.

Good luck!

p.s. Our 1995 Scamp 16 weighed 2400 pounds ready to go camping - it's original paper work listed 1350# as the dry weight.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Many for sale listings

Quote:
Edit: Any recommendations on where to get a used Scamp? Is Craigslist the place to go?
There are many places listing them along with many Scams. Be careful. Do not buy with out inspection. And be ready to jump, if you wait till the weekend they will be gone. It's gotten crazy in the past year. A 20 year-old well maintained Scamp will sell for more than it did new. Be sure the seller has the registration or you can never own it in your name.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f97/
Old 04-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
My 16' Deluxe weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
p.s. Our 1995 Scamp 16 weighed 2400 pounds ready to go camping - it's original paper work listed 1350# as the dry weight.
Yellow part is the correct information, insert is the Scamp shipping weight claim.
Attached Thumbnails
SCALE 2017 paste.jpg  
Old 04-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #9

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
My advice for anyone new to RVing is buy a clean used unit and learn the ropes with it. It will allow you to decide what's important to you in your next rig and you'll probably be able to recoup what you paid when you move on to the next one.
My advice for buying a clean used fiberglass rv is have cash and be ready to move fast. The website Fiberglass RVs 4 Sale and this forum are good places to look. You may have luck on your local Craigs list, but watch out for scammers.

Good luck!

Thanks for that advice! Had no idea they get listed here. I found a Craigslist listing I like but definitely worried it's a scam. Also great to know about the 16'!
Old 04-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #10

NJ
Quote:
There are many places listing them along with many Scams. Be careful. Do not buy with out inspection. And be ready to jump, if you wait till the weekend they will be gone. It's gotten crazy in the past year. A 20 year-old well maintained Scamp will sell for more than it did new. Be sure the seller has the registration or you can never own it in your name.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f97/
Oh wow had no idea about them requiring registration, thanks for letting me know. By inspection, do you mean me personally inspecting it myself? Or is there a professional way to do it?
Old 04-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Oh wow had no idea about them requiring registration, thanks for letting me know. By inspection, do you mean me personally inspecting it myself? Or is there a professional way to do it?
You own it, you need to research and prepare to inspect yourself (assuming you buy used). Never, ever, just go on what the seller tells you. Its caveat emptor out there on used campers.

And weights in brochures are always less than real world weight. Your particular requirements are a Scamp 13. The good news is a brand new one will be under your budget (its OK to not spend the max).

Get one on order, and keep an eye out for a good used one. If you find a good used one in the interim, cancel your order.

Start researching NOW and you will quickly become an expert!

At your weight point, none of the choices will be large. They all will be very small. And if you want a bathroom, even smaller as the bathroom will take up a lot of space in a small camper. A Scamp 13 has a 10 foot body section. Its a little over 6 feet wide and 10 feet long. Mark out an area in your living room. In that area you will need a door, aisle way, closet, kitchen, bed and small bunk. Some people's closet at home is that size!!

People wanting large need a large tow vehicle to pull it. They go hand in hand. The good news if you are an experienced tent camper, these small campers can appear LARGE! Its all attitude and perspective. Plenty of senior citizens camp in these small trailers (I would be one of them).

Other people need a 40 foot motor coach, with multiple tip outs, to camp. There is no right or wrong.

And like many old people, I can remember "back in the day" growing up, family of five, we camped in a. 14 foot Shasta trailer. No bathroom, no refrigerator, no A/C, a sling bunk cot over the rear gaucho couch. Loved it!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:00 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Check your state laws

Quote:
Be sure they understand what you are asking. In my state a Scamp is not a trailer, it is an RV.

These small RVs are a high theft rate item, partly because people are willing to buy with out paper work.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #13

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
You own it, you need to research and prepare to inspect yourself (assuming you buy used). Never, ever, just go on what the seller tells you. Its caveat emptor out there on used campers.

And weights in brochures are always less than real world weight. Your particular requirements are a Scamp 13. The good news is a brand new one will be under your budget (its OK to not spend the max).

Get one on order, and keep an eye out for a good used one. If you find a good used one in the interim, cancel your order.

Start researching NOW and you will quickly become an expert!

At your weight point, none of the choices will be large. They all will be very small. And if you want a bathroom, even smaller as the bathroom will take up a lot of space in a small camper. A Scamp 13 has a 10 foot body section. Its a little over 6 feet wide and 10 feet long. Mark out an area in your living room. In that area you will need a door, aisle way, closet, kitchen, bed and small bunk. Some people's closet at home is that size!!

People wanting large need a large tow vehicle to pull it. They go hand in hand. The good news if you are an experienced tent camper, these small campers can appear LARGE! Its all attitude and perspective. Plenty of senior citizens camp in these small trailers (I would be one of them).

Other people need a 40 foot motor coach, with multiple tip outs, to camp. There is no right or wrong.

And like many old people, I can remember "back in the day" growing up, family of five, we camped in a. 14 foot Shasta trailer. No bathroom, no refrigerator, no A/C, a sling bunk cot over the rear gaucho couch. Loved it!
Thanks very much for all this info!!
Old 04-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #14

NJ
Quote:
Be sure they understand what you are asking. In my state a Scamp is not a trailer, it is an RV.

These small RVs are a high theft rate item, partly because people are willing to buy with out paper work.
Ah wow okay, thank you. Will make sure of that before buying
Old 04-24-2021, 11:42 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
This is NOT an aerodynamic shape.

Sheesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand-Ascape_Transparent_BG.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

Where I live, a camper sits on the back of a pickup truck. A trailer is towed. But, both are RVs.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Considering your budget, maybe you can purchase a heavier tug and a larger trailer, with the features you want, for that amount. I "got by" towing my trailer with my daily driver for years because I couldn't afford anything else. I bought my trailer new, with all the features I wanted and another tug (not new) with plenty of capacity for less than you have to spend. You may have other options worth considering?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #18

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Considering your budget, maybe you can purchase a heavier tug and a larger trailer, with the features you want, for that amount. I "got by" towing my trailer with my daily driver for years because I couldn't afford anything else. I bought my trailer new, with all the features I wanted and another tug (not new) with plenty of capacity for less than you have to spend. You may have other options worth considering?
Ah I see - that way I can get something heavier, which won't be as expensive as a very light fiberglass RV??
Old 04-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Benjamin, I'm suggesting you may want to consider all your options. My daily driver is a 4 cyl. Ford Ranger which can't tow my trailer but gets great mileage. My tug is a 3/4 diesel with massive towing ability but twice the fuel consumption of the Ranger. I could use a half ton for both but I would have to give up some of the towing capacity and some of the fuel economy. I did this for years and the bottom line is that using two vehicles costs me less than trying to do both with one vehicle. It also gives you more options for selecting a trailer.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #20

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Benjamin, I'm suggesting you may want to consider all your options. My daily driver is a 4 cyl. Ford Ranger which can't tow my trailer but gets great mileage. My tug is a 3/4 diesel with massive towing ability but twice the fuel consumption of the Ranger. I could use a half ton for both but I would have to give up some of the towing capacity and some of the fuel economy. I did this for years and the bottom line is that using two vehicles costs me less than trying to do both with one vehicle. It also gives you more options for selecting a trailer.
Okay that totally makes sense, thank you

Tags
eco