Redoubt Volcano - level Orange - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
More ash is predicted to fall north of Anchorage, and also to the SW in the Bristol Bay region. We haven't been able to see the mountain ourselves, except for a nice shot from the AVO's Redoubt webcam.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #22

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
More ash is predicted to fall north of Anchorage, and also to the SW in the Bristol Bay region. We haven't been able to see the mountain ourselves, except for a nice shot from the AVO's Redoubt webcam.
Take advantage of the light if you can. Once the smoke clears there will be tons of particles left floating around very high that makes the most awesome sunsets imaginable. I would imagine places far east like Whitehorse will get the best shots... maybe Calgary.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #23

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php

some pretty interesting photos on the updates at the AVO site.

more eruptions yesterday morning (ash plume to 65,000 feet) and tonight (ash around 38,000 feet). ashfall spreading more widely - finally supposed to expect some here in Anchorage in a few hours. Couldn't avoid it forever. Connie did you get some ash yesterday there?

apparently the Anchorage airport was shut down for quite awhile Monday (at least a lot of flights cancelled)... it just didn't reflect on the website but all the people milling about the terminal on the nightly news was proof. bunches of flights cancelled yesterday and so far today too.

I'm expecting a FedEx package that came from Massachusetts - but it's stuck on the ground in California. Interestingly a package got through via USPS from Ohio yesterday...
"Neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow nor heat of day nor dark of night shall keep this carrier from the swift completion of his appointed rounds." nor volcanic ashfall??
it was a couple days late made still made it through.
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #24

volcanic ash falling like snow here in Anchorage midtown....
false alarm! it IS snow... looked like ash from inside looking out into the dark. so went outside. maybe some ash mixed in with the snow, but snow it is...
Old 03-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #25

well, NO false alarm today. There were several more big eruptions and the wind was finally just right to bring ash through Anchorage. I was out by the main post office at the airport when the first big ash cloud started to come through at 5:30 pm or so and saw what was probably the last plane to take off just before the cloud really hit (airport is now shut down until further notice).

I only wish I had had a video camera with me to show what it looked like. As the ash cloud came from southwest to northeast it blotted out the view of everything in the distance - blue sky turned grey. The mountains to the east of town (Chugach range) were in sight then slowly gone from view as the cloud got bigger.

Total ashfall here in Anchorage so far is probably still considered 'trace' amounts but it looked more amazing while it was airborne - we do still have some ash falling but not much. The attached picture was taken about 7:30 pm in my front yard. You can still see the snow through it as opposed to other areas in the region where the ashfall was greater and the ground is just all grey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ash32809.jpg.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	18893

To top it off we now have a high wind advisory (75+ mph) overnight which will just blow the ash all about. Hopefully we'll get some snow or rain to keep the ash/dust down as it was really dry today.

Connie how is it down there?