Reducing allergens - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am in the process of cleaning my 17 foot Burro for sale. I want it to be super nice for the next owner, and I am going overboard.

I have many friends that are allergic to dogs and cats, and even tho my house is clean to the eye, I know they sometimes have trouble in it. I am wondering what I can do to help reduce any residual allergens that might be present in the rig from my dogs. They never say what helps!

I have had the cushions covered since the day I brought the rig home, so I have no obvious hair issues on them, and I have gotten into the unobvious nooks and crannies with a vacuum and bleach as far as I can see (And some I cant see!) to get rid of any hair that might be present. Bleach is not good for upholstery tho...

any suggestions to help or is it a lost cause? Are there certain levels of allergies? I know it is impossible to get it all.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Sounds like you are going about in a good way. The only thing I would add is to shampoo the carpets and cushions. I use a small Bissell Green Machine. When one of my criiters had an accident in the car coming back from the Vet's, I used the Bissell and their Pet Odor and Stain Removal Formula. It did the job. Follow that up with another good vacuuming and you should be in business.
You are very thoughtful by the way. Most folks wouldn't be bothered.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Registry
I have no carpets, its a faux wood floor. I bought the Bissel machine a couple days ago, and the chems you suggest, just for this purpose!

The former owner of my motorhome was not as contentious, unfortunately. They had two poodles. Poodles mau not shed, and are hypoallergenic, but they still have dirty little paws. ugh!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't forget to thoroughly clean any throw pillows and curtains. Do you have any throw rugs? ... Maybe those are machine washable? You're fortunate to have a wipe able interior. Carpet or rat fur on the walls creates a whole different set of issues. The things I notice about trailers with pets, is the lingering odor, it's not like you can use underarm deodorant on a pet Have someone that doesn't own a pet give your trailer the nose test.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

Registry
I have already washed the curtains and they are in plastic bags, waiting to be put up after I finish the rest of the rig. No throw rugs.

Good suggestion about the non pet person. I suspect its like smokers. They don't notice when everyone else does!

Fortunately.. no smoking has happened in my rig!

PS.. my little princess smells like roses

Old 03-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Gina,
Get one of those HEPA air filter machines and run that on high for a couple of days. It will not only help get rid of any lingering odors, it will also get rid of a lot of pollen and dander in the air that is invisible to the naked eye. We only have the one small dog, but she stays in the bedroom whenever we are away so we run one in the bedroom all the time. (I'm allergic to just about everything except dogs.)
Pamela S.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Gina,

Try OdoBan

It works for me.

Walmart,Sams club , Home Depot

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Gina,
It's me again. Just a reminder that many of us with allergies to pets, and other allergies, are also often incredibly sensitive to cleaning chemicals, scented products, and the like. I'm sure you will have that Burro spotless, but whatever you use, be sure to air out the trailer really well afterwards.
Pamela S.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Does your employer have an ozone machine? If not he should so you can borrow it!

I think a good cleaning like you are doing and plenty of fresh air should be fine. As for the cushions, I vacuum and then do an old fashioned "rug beating" on them and wash the cover.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #10

Registry
I didn't do the ozone machine, but have done all else and had a super allergic person come in that gave it the seal of approval!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #11

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
It's nice to hear of so many thoughtful ideas, and of all the trouble you've taken. I wish most hotel chains would take the hint, too - many now allow pets in the rooms. Although the hair is very visible and some people have allergies to that, many allergic people react to the dander (dead skin cells) from the pets. One trick I use when cleaning is to throw fabric products (curtains, upholstery, cushions) into the dryer on high heat for an hour or so. You can put them in dry - especially if you're worried about shrinking. The bouncing around in the dryer will shake off a lot of the loose and dusty bits and filter them away - and the high heat can kill mites, molds, etc. which are huge allergens. I use this technique with my wool blanket (I know - wool's horrible for allergies but I LOVE my blankie).

So...when you're done - wanna come and clean MY place?
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #12

Registry
No thanks, I am trying to cut down!

I actually clean motorhomes for a living right now, so any extra fun.. is not ...fun!

The trailer sold already to a nice couple from Lake Havasu here in Arizona. It went home with them this morning. They did not appear to sneeze and gag, so I must have done OK.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
PS.. my little princess smells like roses
If our Holly doesn't get enough exercise she leaves little roses all around for us to smell. hack, hack ack!!!!!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Gina,
Congrats on selling your egg so quickly. I'm sure it was a bittersweet experience to see it roll down the road behind a different vehicle.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
see it roll down the road behind a different vehicle.
I didn't look. That way I avoided looking like a gooey sentimental fool to the new owners.

It really has hit me hard. That trailer was my life raft on many occasions.. fires, floods, homelessness, sort of (If ya got an RV, you are never homeless)

The winnie will be a new adventure for sure. I need to start all over. But the few things I have done to bring it back to life have been satisfying.

I have structural priorities (It leaks really bad) but the "Fun" stuff will follow. Because of the animals, the carpet has GOT to go, and as soon as possible.

No carpet is the main reason the Burro was so clean.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sniff, sniff I'll cry for you Gina. But, that old adage about when one door closes... you need to do what you needed to do... and there may be another molded trailer in your life. Having you amongst the group is great for the rest of us, just because you sold your trailer doesn't mean you'll suddenly go through a brain-drain. We value your knowledge, skills and abilities

See ya this summer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
We know how you felt when The McMansion left your world ... leaves a big empty tire print! However, on the "Whoo-Hoo" side of the equation, congrats on the quick sale! We knew that would happen. Should be back in Q next week - see ya and the "Running Hall" then. L 'n D

p.s. What you have done with the interior so far looks great! And we see the herd has settled in nicely, too.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #18

Registry
had the mechanic here today doing a safety check, belts hoses brakes etc. He said it was in great running condition and safe to take cross country. That was a relief, tho I figured that when I bought it... or, I wouldn't have bought it LOL.

We will look forward to seeing you back!

Next weekend is roof resealing, going to use Eternabond. It is supposed to be the cats meow and.. eternal. I will post on its use as it relates to all RVs. Fiberglass ones have roof airs and vents and stuff.

btw.. it's "Running Hall" not *the* Running Hall. Like Wembley Hall or King George Hall..something snooty like that
Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I recently found and tried a product for removing odors from carpets, furniture, tile. and cement. I recently had a very frightened male feral cat get in my house and before my Vet and I got him out he had sprayed very generously. I tried several standard products but the combination of the perfume in the cleaners and the cat urine was gross. And they didn't remove the odor. I saw a review of "Clean the Air" Pet Odor Eliminator in a newsletter I get. The thing that caught my attention was that it contains no perfume. It is also all natural, earth friendly, and will not harm children or pets. It is sold at Petco so I figured it was worth a try as no matter how much I cleaned I could still smell my little visitor's presents. I tend to be very skeptical of product claims but this stuff works. I just sprinkled it into the carpets and spread it on the tile and grout. Let it set over night and vacuumed it up. So far no lingering odor. Costs $9.99 at Petco.
PC legal statement: don't own it (wish I did) or sell it. Just a satisfied user. Hope it works as well for you.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote