Regular RV Pros and Cons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Name: Luke
Trailer: Casita
Upper Midwest
Regular RV Pros and Cons

New 2013 Echo RV Spirit 19QB Travel Trailers at Coates RV Hugo Minnesota Coates RV

What are everyones thoughts on a camper like this? I have a friend who is interested in this model. What are the pros and cons to an rv such as this? They are just sooooo much cheaper then say a casita or scamp. Thoughts. Please and thank you.
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think you get what you pay for

I don't know how long this particular trailer has been in production. Even if it's five years or so, check the resale prices. THAT tells you a lot about the value.

Typically at ten to fifteen years or so, most stick built trailers are "give-aways." Because they have nearly zero value. THAT doesn't happen with a maintained all molded towable. Those of us that own one, consider them a valued asset.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
There's nothing wrong with it if that's what they want. I have owned Class C's and tag-alongs, 5er's that were 36'. I finally grew tired of the bigger units because I felt it was taking me away from the camping experience. The biggest thing I see is the weight. Dry weight 3,461lbs.
Yes the resale is also a huge factor.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #4

Upper Midwest
Couldn't agree more Donna D!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Upper Midwest
I just checked on Nada and it says that this was the only year this Spirit model was made. What does that tell you? It is a Spirit made by Echo. Seems a bit fishy. Also, Nada says, "Due to limited resale activity, we are unable to determine used values". They only have the msrp stated. Is that odd?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Let's compare to an Escape 19. It's 8' wide, whereas Escape is 7' wide. It's 118" high versus 102" for Escape. So it has 32% greater frontal area than the Escape. Now add in the dry weight, 3461 lb versus 2510 lb. Figure 14-15 mpg for the Escape, and 9-10 mpg for the Echo.

Now consider all the roof seams on the Echo. The stickie I just sold was 3.5 years old and, wouldn't you know, the new owner called me a week later to say that the roof was leaking! I went halfsies on the $660 cost to reseal it because I felt bad about it leaking so soon after I'd sold it, and wanted to be fair. The points are, first off you have to stay on top of it and have a stickie roof inspected and re-sealed often; and second, if it's sitting outside (stored) unused for months and you don't catch the leak right when it starts, the unit can be ruined.

Also, consider resale value. Ten years from now a $25K Escape will probably still bring $20K (partly due to inflation), whereas a $11,500 stickie in 10 years will likely be worth less than $4000, maybe a whole lot less if there's water damage to the walls or roof.

Buying a stickie is not always bad, but one must go into it with eyes wide open. Best to consider it a "throwaway" unit that will not be missed should it become useless or worthless. $11,500 is not a huge chunk of money to toss off, for many folks. If one cannot afford the $25K but can afford the $11,500, I say go for it and have some camping enjoyment.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #7

Upper Midwest
Great points Mike. It says it has a fiberglass top. Do you think that would fix the leaking issues of the stickies?

Sent from my XT1045 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Comparison

Comparing the listed stickie to Homelet.

Washing: Echo 717.6ft^2; Homelet 253ft^2 exterior surface.

Hitch weight: 365# vs 200# needs pick-up truck

Curb weight: 3561# (dry) vs 1840# (as traveling) needs twice the gas.

Plus the rounded corners of FG add to its aerodynamic efficiency.

Also consider the time to clean the inside. When we camped with our Good Sam group, we would be participating in the activities while persons with large MHs would say they had to clean their MH. Large RVs are like having another house to clean. If you have to have all the convenience of home, why leave home in the first place? It takes us all of 5 minutes to clean Homelet.

Also the construction. Stick builts have numerous joints which eventually flex over the road. This leads to leaks. Homelet is all one piece because of the inside furniture is actually part of the structure and all fiberglassed. No flexing and no leaks.

Also why do you think they can drop the price 25%? It is because the value is just not there compared to FG.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lk123 View Post
Great points Mike. It says it has a fiberglass top. Do you think that would fix the leaking issues of the stickies?

Sent from my XT1045 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
No Luke it wouldn't. I had a class A Southwind with a one piece fiberglass roof and sidewalls. You still have the corner seams to deal with, top and end corners. Even with resealing them and any through shell opening every year, at about the 15 year mark it started leaking. I never was able to find the source and ended up with some dry rot. Bummer cuz the rest of it was pretty much mint. BTW, the A did have a steel framework for the body (still a sticky) but as they are so long you get a lot of body twisting that probably is part of the reason for seams opening up. Our eggs are so short there isn't near as much movement of the body. Sorry for the long story, short answer.....moulded trailers have around 90% less seams to leak.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Roger you beat me to an answer . I think you filled in the rest of it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A friend of ours bought a 5th wheel from Coates in 2006 (cost $30K) In 2012 he went to Coates to buy a new 5th wheel trailer and trade in his 2006 . His 2006 trailer was worth $7K in trade. That being said ,fiberglass RVs cost more upfront and usually offer fewer features . I could have purchased an R pod for $7K less than my Casita .The R pod had features such as an oven ,stereo ,tank sensors, a bigger refrigerator etc. Etc that my Casita did not offer . I did not like the the throw away aspect of the R pod or want to do the constant maintenance / repairs the R pod would require . Resale was not a major factor in our decision . At our age the Casita will probably be our last trailer unless my wife gets the Escape bug again
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Agree. My last Crossroads 5er cost $39,000. Kept it for two years and sold it for $16,500. Made me sick, but that's how it goes with resale on stick trailers. And I sold mine straight out. If I had tried to trade. Probably $10,000 would've been the price.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Too big, too heavy, too expensive and it looks to be a stick built. Will not last like my 1971 Boler which is 43 years old and once I get the new axle under it should last another 43 years.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk123 View Post
New 2013 Echo RV Spirit 19QB Travel Trailers at Coates RV Hugo Minnesota Coates RV

What are everyones thoughts on a camper like this? I have a friend who is interested in this model. What are the pros and cons to an rv such as this? They are just sooooo much cheaper then say a casita or scamp. Thoughts. Please and thank you.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #14

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Too big, too heavy, too expensive and it looks to be a stick built. Will not last like my 1971 Boler which is 43 years old and once I get the new axle under it should last another 43 years.

Rick
I agree, but to some our fiberglass eggs are too small , to the point of being claustrophobic. Many when traveling want to bring home with them .They are RV ing not camping . Many only stay at resorts with full hookup .. plus Expensive is relative to their personal finances. I could have purchased a 24 ft trailer with a lot more amenities for less than the cost of my 17ft Casita . My friend who just purchased a 34 ft fifth wheel is well over 70 years old, so long term resale value was not a factor in his decision . His biggest concern was " Creature Comforts"
Our fiberglass trailers are a niche in the total RV market and our often sparsely equipped when compared to stick built trailers . You can have fun with either style of trailer
Old 08-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
One thing I thoroughly enjoy about being a fiberglass travel trailer owner (Bigfoot) is being able to walk right by the rather extensive aisle at the local RV shop where all the roof sealing material lives. It's amazing how many different sealing products there are, all claiming to solve the woes caused by your leaking RV roof. I can't help but chuckle every time I walk by that section of the store.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #16

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
They are RV ing not camping .

Amen, and again, amen.

To each his own.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There's another pro/con. When we started RVing we drove a gas powered motorhome, we got 7.5 mpg. At today's prices and worse yet future prices, it would have been less affordable for our type of travel.

Though 5th wheels tend to get better mileage, not much better. Most of the 5th wheel trucks are diesel with even higher fuel per gallon fuel costs. It encourages
most people to drive somewhere and stay put.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I agree, but to some our fiberglass eggs are too small , to the point of being claustrophobic. Many when traveling want to bring home with them .They are RV ing not camping . Many only stay at resorts with full hookup .. plus Expensive is relative to their personal finances. I could have purchased a 24 ft trailer with a lot more amenities for less than the cost of my 17ft Casita . My friend who just purchased a 34 ft fifth wheel is well over 70 years old, so long term resale value was not a factor in his decision . His biggest concern was " Creature Comforts"
Our fiberglass trailers are a niche in the total RV market and our often sparsely equipped when compared to stick built trailers . You can have fun with either style of trailer
Steve,

We have tons of Escapee full-timer friends who traveled all of North America in large RVs, having sold their homes. For us when we started it was hard to consider that kind of travel in a Scamp sized rig (not so many any more). (Most of them traveled before fuel costs got so high.)

I think I would have had difficulty coaxing her to start a new lifestyle in a Scamp. On the other hand had we started by tent camping it would have been easy. Sometimes it's where you come from.

As to stick built versus fiberglass we. like many, have owned small trailers of both types and almost identical ages. The stick built was totally destroyed by water, though a great little trailer. Our fiberglass trailer is maybe better than new. An old fiberglass trailer can be easily brought forward because the core is usually strong and the part that isn't, is easily repairable.

I guess we're not claustrophobic, maybe because we 'see through walls' to the outdoors around us. Really not kidding, there's a bigness about camping, frequently no one around, usually quiet, often the feeling of just the two of us and the world. Whatever it's a good life and a fiberglass RV is a good choice. Today one can get a fiberglass RV with practically any amenity I expect the years to continually provide improved layout and style.

This really the case if you include our cousins the Airstreams. There is nothing to prevent the amenity level of an Airstream but buyer demand and time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #19

NW Wisconsin
size limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Steve,

We have tons of Escapee full-timer friends who traveled all of North America in large RVs, having sold their homes. For us when we started it was hard to consider that kind of travel in a Scamp sized rig (not so many any more). (Most of them traveled before fuel costs got so high.)

I think I would have had difficulty coaxing her to start a new lifestyle in a Scamp. On the other hand had we started by tent camping it would have been easy. Sometimes it's where you come from.

As to stick built versus fiberglass we. like many, have owned small trailers of both types and almost identical ages. The stick built was totally destroyed by water, though a great little trailer. Our fiberglass trailer is maybe better than new. An old fiberglass trailer can be easily brought forward because the core is usually strong and the part that isn't, is easily repairable.

I guess we're not claustrophobic, maybe because we 'see through walls' to the outdoors around us. Really not kidding, there's a bigness about camping, frequently no one around, usually quiet, often the feeling of just the two of us and the world. Whatever it's a good life and a fiberglass RV is a good choice. Today one can get a fiberglass RV with practically any amenity I expect the years to continually provide improved layout and style.

This really the case if you include our cousins the Airstreams. There is nothing to prevent the amenity level of an Airstream but buyer demand and time.
You and I have different expectations from a travel trailer than many others . Many of the features in a larger trailer will not physically fit in our small fiberglass eggs such as a 10 cu ft refrigerator with freezer or an apartment size oven or a bed with the space to walk around the bed or a dry bathroom with seperate shower or full size reclining chairs to relax in.. I could go on and on .Our fiberglass trailers are rather Spartan when compared to a $200 K Class A motor home . My wife and I like the intimacy of our 17 ft Casita but we can understand that it's not for everyone . Sometimes on this forum it seems that we look down on people with larger NON fiberglass trailers with self righteous moral disdain . I have friends who have stated that if they had to spend more than a weekend in our little 17 ft. Casita they would stay home. Our small fiberglass trailers are a personal choice just as the choice made by others to travel in a 36 ft fifth wheel. I admire those who can fit 2 adults , a couple of kids and a dog in a 13 ft egg but it does not work for us.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Considering the extras and amenities of that specific camper. Outside shower, sound system, double door fridge yada yada yada. Seems like a lot of money went into the shiny knobs, and blinky lights you can see. The manufactures cost for that stuff had to come from somewhere, my guess is it would come from the money spent on building the actual trailer. Looking at it no way to tell how thick (or thin) the aluminum sides are for example, or are the doors essentially cardboard & contact paper. You get the idea.

Resale matters as does maintainability and is independent of who owns the camper. Usability matters, but usability is very specific to the person. Weight and size as it impacts on fuel economy and TV required, amenities and features, flexibility for different types of camping you want to do. All have different relevance that is owner specific.

I know folks that really liked their all electric EggCamper. Would not work for me and my boondocking ways. A wet bath would simply not suit my sister. I may get twice her gas mileage but she likes a living room and full bath ( I could fit my scamp in her 5th wheel living room)

Can't really compare a two door Mercedes (scamp) to a full size Kia (that sticky). Except to point out the things that are different and let the person decide how much weight to give each of those differences.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote