Rental Recommendations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Rental Recommendations?

I've been searching for a way to rent trailers as a way to check them out, or maybe just as an alternate to owning one. I've found a few rentals here and there, but they're mostly in California. And none of them are fiberglass.

I've been looking on this site called Outdoorsy, where it's individual people renting out their RV and trailers. I've seen some popups in my area, and some aluminum, but no fiberglass. Not a ton on that site in the Chicago area, but I think they started out in California and they're still pretty new, so I guess that makes sense.

Anyway, I've looked on these boards for rental advice and wasn't seeing anything much, (though I did see the idea to try Air B&B, which I will check out). I thought I'd float the topic again. Any good rental options, especially near to Chicago?
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Probably the number one reason is most fiberglass trailers are individually owned. Beside the US Government owning some Scamps there are not fleets of rental units present. Next, because they are individually owned no one wants to rent to a stranger and deal with all the issues associated with renting. These are working units that have been carefully cared for.

Think of the owners of fiberglass rv's as belonging to a clan, perhaps similar to the Corvette owner. This clan did not learn how to share when they were young. Ownership is achieved by searching the used market or waiting for production schedules that can be up to a year away. They are too hard to obtain to share with a stranger.

If you are military or ex military there are Scamps available at some bases. If not you "may" find an occasional unit for rent. There is not a central clearing house and I cannot say that I have seen an advertisement for a rental in the seven years on fiberglass forums.

Good luck renting, the best alternative is to attend a rally where there will be a variety of brands and models present. Such rallies always include an open house where you can view and talk about fiberglass rv's with people really in the know.

Late September there is an Illinois rally on the Mississippi River, there are or have been several other in Illinois or surrounding states. Check the rally schedule on this forum.

I would have to say it takes a fair amount of work to be a fiberglass owner, work in research, work in travel and finally work to score what you want.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Burro
North Carolina
In Calif

These are in California if you ever come out this way Dans Trailers.com
He has two 13' Scamps and a 16' Casita to rent. I rented a Scamp from him last month. It was a 2001 in pretty good shape.

Jeanne
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Mn & Wi rentals on craigslist

2016 Scamp Trailer Rental

2016 Scamp Trailer Rental

Rent a scamp camper
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #5

Illinois
Craigslist!

Thanks Mark! It didn't even cross my mind to check out Craigslist!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Illinois
Thank you

Thank you for the tip, Jeanne! It does seem that California is RV heaven in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D. in ca View Post
These are in California if you ever come out this way Dans Trailers.com
He has two 13' Scamps and a 16' Casita to rent. I rented a Scamp from him last month. It was a 2001 in pretty good shape.

Jeanne
Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #7

Illinois
Thank you

Paul, thank you for taking the time to give me such a considered message. It was full of really useful information and I appreciate you taking the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Probably the number one reason is most fiberglass trailers are individually owned. Beside the US Government owning some Scamps there are not fleets of rental units present. Next, because they are individually owned no one wants to rent to a stranger and deal with all the issues associated with renting. These are working units that have been carefully cared for.

Think of the owners of fiberglass rv's as belonging to a clan, perhaps similar to the Corvette owner. This clan did not learn how to share when they were young. Ownership is achieved by searching the used market or waiting for production schedules that can be up to a year away. They are too hard to obtain to share with a stranger.

If you are military or ex military there are Scamps available at some bases. If not you "may" find an occasional unit for rent. There is not a central clearing house and I cannot say that I have seen an advertisement for a rental in the seven years on fiberglass forums.

Good luck renting, the best alternative is to attend a rally where there will be a variety of brands and models present. Such rallies always include an open house where you can view and talk about fiberglass rv's with people really in the know.

Late September there is an Illinois rally on the Mississippi River, there are or have been several other in Illinois or surrounding states. Check the rally schedule on this forum.

I would have to say it takes a fair amount of work to be a fiberglass owner, work in research, work in travel and finally work to score what you want.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
This ebullient young lady gives us a tour of a Casita, which it turns out she and her husband rented for a long road trip:

Don't know where they got it, but maybe you could find out from her.

FWIW

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
[QUOTE=Paul Braun;598289]Probably the number one reason is most fiberglass trailers are individually owned.

[QUOTE]

Paul, hehehe, I think you're right. Most owners don't even want their (grown)
children borrowing theirs. No, no sharing! Yes, it takes more looking into than other kinds of RVs. Can't just go pick one up at the local dealer.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco