Renting an Egg in Europe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Renting an Egg in Europe

My sweetie and I like to travel to Europe whenever we can. What with The Elder Daughter living in France, and me with a lot of friends in the UK, we have all the excuses we need!

We also love to travel Out an About. Does anyone have a Wave Their Arms in the Air idea of what it would cost to hire (rent) a caravan (trailer) in Scotland and France?
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anything here? Caravan Rental in Scotland
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
No I do not, but sounds like a wounderful idea.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Hi ... we were in Germany last Sept/Oct. and did look into renting an RV of some sort , found that between the rental-insurance-campground and then taking into account autoban speed and congestion it would be better and cheaper ( for us ) to rent either holiday apt/house in the areas we were not staying with family .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Oh yeah ..... and then there is the gas !!
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
From Thomas's website for Scotland, it looks like a Caravan for 2 for a week is around $500 U.S. Extra materials are extra, and this doesn't include the cost of the tow vehicle rental, either.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you ever have a blog link in the future it sure would be fun to follow you along.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I follow discussions in a U.K. based Forum much like this one- real informative! You might consider signing up and posting questions there.

Here's the link: Caravan Talk

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
When we were much younger we tent-camped throughout Europe in a new Volvo that we had purchased here (but picked up there) through their oversees purchase program. By buying the car this way (a set fee, no negotiating) we saved enough money to pay for our trip (airfare, camping and food). Volvo shipped the car to the US for very little cost. If you are in the market for a car several European manufacturers offer this incentive.

We looked into renting an RV in Europe and just figured it was too much cost and trouble. You might want to rent a cabin or room at a campsite. You can then have the experience of camping without the hassle. We will be traveling to Europe soon and will be staying in family-run hotels and timeshares. Having traveled to and lived in Europe we can say that the best way to make the most of your trip is to "live close" to the people there and to seek out novel experiences. Rick Steves "back door" books emphasize this advice.

There was a thread on this site regarding camping travel in Europe.
Happy Camping,
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Check out this information about RVing in France!
Go Motorhoming Europe! Everything you need to know about buying and using a motorhome in the UK and Europe.
https://www.vicarious-shop.com/France-Passion-2013.html
Bon Chance (Good Luck!)
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #11

Trailer:
Hmmm, tricky. It may not be what you want to hear, but I would think it would be a lot easier to hire [rent] a "motorhome/motorcaravan" [RV] than hire a towcar and trailer.

Getting a towcar with a "towbar" [hitch] fitted isn't going to be easy, but it is certainly possible, though maybe not at a price you would like. Then hiring a "caravan" [trailer] isn't difficult. These are likely to be from separate companies, which creates its own problems.

Problem 1: you need the towcar insurance to cover the caravan too and even as an experienced tow-er from abroad, you may find this a problem.

Problem 2: there are restrictions in most European countries about what license you need to tow a caravan, particularly for younger drivers. In some cases you need to pass an additional driving test to tow. Now how this applies to someone from abroad, I just don't know - and I'm sure sure who does.

If you drove your own towcar/trailer into any European country, then I believe your entitlement to drive/tow at home would be sufficient, but whether the hired towcar insurance company would see it that way, I doubt.

In Britain, it's only folk who had a driving license issued before 1997 who are entitled to tow without a further test and since you don't have a British license from back then, you may fall into the 'younger driver' bracket, whatever your age.

If you hired a motorhome, it's likely that this would all be much easier as you wouldn't be trying to co-ordinate two separate hire companies from a few thousand miles away......

The alternative is to try to find a caravan rental company that can arrange the towcar hire as well - that way there's a fighting chance that when you arrive, the two hire companies will work together.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #12

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Oh well, sounds like more hassle than it's worth. We'll probably hire a small car and do our usual B&B / hostel route.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Add to Post #11

In Europe you can't just go into a local garage and have a hitch installed. Trailer hitches have to be "approved" for installing on a specific vehicle and are very expensive.

There are several books out there on renting motorhomes in Europe. Not cheap, but cheaper than a car+hotel rooms and meals, and you are "camping"..

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Another resource is a book (self published) by Ron Milavsky called "Take your RV to Europe". They did it with a Class "C" (IIRC). A bit dated (2005??) but chock full of information about THAT option.

Also in Germany there are stellplatz located in small towns / villages. These are kind of overnight spots. There is on in our daughter's village. Room for 3-4 rigs. Some have elec. Some don't. Some free, some have a fee. Google Stellplatz
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #15

Name: Angie
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
I have camped quite a bit in Europe with German friends who own an RV. I have lived in Europe as well, and I can verify that all of the comments made here about costs, etc. are true.

I would consider renting some sort of cabin at a campground as well. I have done this and have been very happy with the result. All but the most bare bones campgrounds have these, and they vary from just basic sheds to full-fledged homes with kitchens, bathrooms, and satellite TV's. Prices depend on season and amenities. Campgrounds vary widely as well from economical municipal campgrounds to five-star resorts. With the price of hostels really out of sight, I bet you could do this for two people at no greater expense.

France is the best place to camp; I can highly recommend it.

Send me a private message if you want more detail.
angangang is offline   Reply With Quote

« Deposits | Smilies »