Replacement for 16’ Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Replacement for 16’ Scamp

So we have a 2018 16’ Scamp with #6 layout and unfortunately are outgrowing it. Looking at replacing it with an R Pod that has a queen and large dinette. Any thoughts on similar alternatives? We hate to sell the Scamp as we all love it but our son is starting to struggle sleeping on the side dinette.
Any input is greatly appreciated. Need to keep the weight around

Thanks
altitudewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you want to stick with a molded FG trailer, then the Escape 19, 21, or the Escape 5.0 TA fifth wheel.

We "outgrew" our Casita 17 deluxe and went with the Escape 19. Main reason was to get the large dinette (separate from the bed).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
The Escape 17B is single axle, light, and has a bath, and can be fitted with a mattress in the rear, and a 2 person dinette in the front that can either be made into a 30" wide bed when dropped, or even optioned as a gaucho bunk that seats two during the day and sleeps two at night. (The rear comes standard with convertible 4 person dinette in rear and convertible 2 person dinette in front)
The 19' Escape is about 500 lbs heavier than the 17B and has a queen bed in the rear and 4 person dinette in the front that can also have a cot installed above the dinette.
The Escape 17A has a permanent bed in the front, and a 4 person dinette in the rear, but no bathroom.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Up Sizing after Scamp

Our Scamp 16 was partially crushed.
Replaced it with Escape 19. Love it.
Live in it 4.5 months of the year as we escape Michigan winter.
Can not go wrong with an Escape.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Mike,

Just curious .....
In what way is your son struggling with sleeping on the side dinette?
Too short? Too narrow? (I'm not sure what size bed the side dinette makes.)
How old is he?

Also, the weight that you are trying to stay under was somehow missing? At least for me ....

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was thinking of the Escape 17B or 19 too. Pretty expensive compared to a Scamp, but nice.

But I am also wondering what's giving trouble with the side bunk. If it's the width, the Scamp aisle is wide enough to allow the bed to be extended a few inches. How you might do that depends on whether you want to be able to convert it to a dinette or not. If it's the length, that's harder.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Put the kid in a tent outside!
There, fixed that!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #8

South Carolina
Length of the side dinette is def. not the issue. The 24" width is slowly becoming the issue.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #9

South Carolina
Redbarron55---I agree! As soon as we make a change he will probably prefer being in a tent anyway.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I was thinking of the Escape 17B or 19 too. Pretty expensive compared to a Scamp, but nice.

But I am also wondering what's giving trouble with the side bunk. If it's the width, the Scamp aisle is wide enough to allow the bed to be extended a few inches. How you might do that depends on whether you want to be able to convert it to a dinette or not. If it's the length, that's harder.

I thought about coming up width a solution to address width as well. The Escape 19 is what I think our next trailer will be. After having the fiberglass build I feel like it will be impossible to go to a mass produced stick trailer.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #11

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
I am looking at a coachmen Apex T15 or16 or Escape 19 . But cost at 80 years old is a problem with the Escape 19 I look at a 17B but the bath was to short no head room. Just like our Scamp 16.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #12

Missouri

Mike,

Unless I missed it, we still don’t know what your weight target is or what your current tow vehicle is. Unless you already have a substantial tow vehicle (or are also contemplating a tow vehicle upgrade?), the weight target could possibly become a limiting factor on your upgrade trailer choice.

When upsizing from our Scamp13 with the 54” bed, after looking at many brands/sizes and strongly considering both an Escape17B and an Escape19, we finally settled on a Scamp16 Deluxe (to again have the 54” main bed) Layout A with a free swap of front sofa/bunks (in order to sleep a couple of grandkids [or even one of us if someone becomes sick]) in place of the front dinette found in the usual Layout A config.

Even without converting to bunks, I can sometimes indulge in an afternoon nap on the front sofa. [emoji6]
(If I can sleep there, I imagine your son could manage it as well and it might be easier to add a little extra width on that front sofa than the side dinette?)

We put in a Lagun Table system in order to have a place for an infrequent indoor meal (in case of inclement weather).

The side bathroom of the Layout A is not as large as the front bathroom in your Layout 6 but, my wife and I are only average-size people and we don’t spend a lot of time in the bathroom .... so it works for us.

Our Scamp16D-A is much lighter than some other choices (new dry weight was 2000 lbs on the main axle and 240 lbs on the tongue with two full propane tanks.)

At a past Green Eggs & Ham rally, the owner of an Escape 19 came across the street for a visit, looked around at the inside of our trailer, and remarked “You really have a lot of storage in here!”

We worked with Wayne Pitlick (at Scamp) to create our Layout A with sofa/bunks config.

Our trailer might not work for everyone, but it works pretty well for us. ...... just another idea to consider.

Pix of our trailer can be found in the following Google Drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EVhNVo1VHQ0WFU

Best of luck with your choices and decisions!

Ray
Old 07-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Mike,

Unless I missed it, we still don’t know what your weight target is or what your current tow vehicle is. Unless you already have a substantial tow vehicle (or are also contemplating a tow vehicle upgrade?), the weight target could possibly become a limiting factor on your upgrade trailer choice.

When upsizing from our Scamp13 with the 54” bed, after looking at many brands/sizes and strongly considering both an Escape17B and an Escape19, we finally settled on a Scamp16 Deluxe (to again have the 54” main bed) Layout A with a free swap of front sofa/bunks (in order to sleep a couple of grandkids [or even one of us if someone becomes sick]) in place of the front dinette found in the usual Layout A config.

Even without converting to bunks, I can sometimes indulge in an afternoon nap on the front sofa. [emoji6]
(If I can sleep there, I imagine your son could manage it as well and it might be easier to add a little extra width on that front sofa than the side dinette?)

We put in a Lagun Table system in order to have a place for an infrequent indoor meal (in case of inclement weather).

The side bathroom of the Layout A is not as large as the front bathroom in your Layout 6 but, my wife and I are only average-size people and we don’t spend a lot of time in the bathroom .... so it works for us.

Our Scamp16D-A is much lighter than some other choices (new dry weight was 2000 lbs on the main axle and 240 lbs on the tongue with two full propane tanks.)

At a past Green Eggs & Ham rally, the owner of an Escape 19 came across the street for a visit, looked around at the inside of our trailer, and remarked “You really have a lot of storage in here!”

We worked with Wayne Pitlick (at Scamp) to create our Layout A with sofa/bunks config.

Our trailer might not work for everyone, but it works pretty well for us. ...... just another idea to consider.

Pix of our trailer can be found in the following Google Drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EVhNVo1VHQ0WFU

Best of luck with your choices and decisions!

Ray
Ray

Thanks for all the thoughts and input. With more thought we may do some alterations to our existing setup. As mentioned we love the Scamp and along with the fact it is paid for and so light weight and manageable it is hard to justify going to something else.
I really like the idea of the Lagun table system. Since we are a family of 3 that could create an additional table to eat on using the rear bed as a seat. In addition the extra room while cooking would be helpful.
Thanks for sharing the pics, great to see others set ups...

Mike
Old 07-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
I am looking at a coachmen Apex T15 or16 or Escape 19 . But cost at 80 years old is a problem with the Escape 19 I look at a 17B but the bath was to short no head room. Just like our Scamp 16.
Hey Corky,
At 80 price should not be a consideration. It just means if you spend more now, then there's just less money that you can't take with you when you go!

Dave and Marilyn
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #15

Missouri
Mike,

You're welcome!
Good luck with your interior mods! [emoji5]

To keep your Scamp light, I kind of like using an inexpensive composite construction technique that some of the van folks use.
https://youtu.be/ucf2FVIdr1Q

You can search YouTube for many similar foam cabinet videos.

Many things can be created without much in the way of power tools. EPS/XPS foam can be cut with X-acto knives, electric kitchen carving knives, or "hot wire" tools (available on Amazon.com). Fiberglass screen material can be cut with some strong scissors or a pair of tin snips (Northern Tool & others). Glidden Gripper paint (Home Depot), regular Gorilla Glue, and/or Gorilla Wood Glue can be used in the assemblies.

Foam and fiberglass screen may be fine for cabinets and hatches but, I think that 1/8th inch plywood (Menards & other) glued to both sides of the 1/2" (or 3/4" ?) EPS/XPS foam (maybe with Gorilla Wood Glue?) is probably better and stronger for weight bearing components (i.e. beds, benches, etc.)

Again, good luck with your mods!

Happy camping & stay safe out there! [emoji5]

Ray
Old 07-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #16

Missouri
Mike,

If you don't mind my asking ....
Is there some significance to your "altitudewrench" screen name?

By that, I was wondering if you were (or currently are) an airplane mechanic ........ or perhaps a high-rise steel worker?

Just curious ....

Ray
Old 07-19-2020, 06:22 AM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Mike,

If you don't mind my asking ....
Is there some significance to your "altitudewrench" screen name?

By that, I was wondering if you were (or currently are) an airplane mechanic ........ or perhaps a high-rise steel worker?

Just curious ....

Ray
Ray

Yes, I am an Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanic by trade. Started as a flight mechanic in the Coast Guard and then moved into the commercial side.
Currently am the VP of an Aviation Maintenance company although I still get the chance to turn a wrench now and then.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #18

Missouri

Mike,

Nice! [emoji4]
I kind of suspected you are/were an A&P.

I solo’ed a Piper Cub two days after my sixteenth birthday and, until recently, owned an flew an old Johnson-bar Mooney M20C (search YouTube for “Mooney & RV”).
(I know that, because of the tight spaces, many A&Ps hate working on Mooneys.[emoji6] )

Every few years or so, our Scamp trailer(s) can/could be found at Circle R Campground or Camp Scholler up at Oshkosh.

At Oshkosh/Airventure, I’ve taken a couple of the Composites Workshop sessions but I knew that we didn’t generally need the strength and expense of bid-cloth and epoxy for our little fiberglass trailer mods. The EPS/XPS foam and fiberglass-screen (or 1/8” plywood) are more than sufficient.

Again, best of luck with your Scamp mod(s).

Maybe we can rendezvous at Oshkosh some year?

Ray
Old 07-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #19

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by altitudewrench View Post
Ray

Yes, I am an Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanic by trade. Started as a flight mechanic in the Coast Guard and then moved into the commercial side.
Currently am the VP of an Aviation Maintenance company although I still get the chance to turn a wrench now and then.
I'm glad Ray asked you the question about your user name because until you answered I kept reading it as attitudewrench, now it makes sense!

Tags
scamp