Responses and advice given here... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

If people come to a forum for advice, they need to decipher if they're capable of doing said tasks (as long as the advice isn't completely wrong). IMHO, it's up to them to decide that, not anybody else.

If they can't figure out if they're capable of doing welding, wiring, propane work, etc., on their own, there's really no helping that.

This is the first time I've ever worked on a camper. I don't have near the experience of most people on here, but I'm comfortable doing any possible work on it, so I don't think you can necessarily go by experience, either.

I subscribe to the "jump in head first, and then you have no choice but to swim" approach.
Exactly! Combined with an acceptance that I may make mistakes or get less than "professional" results. An awful lot of what I know was acquired by making mistakes. Taking on something new is often an ideal "learning" opportunity. Swallowed a lot of water learning to swim you might say.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scarecrow.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	60231

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Poking fun at myself here gang. I'm NOT an expert, but I read a lot and try to point folks to appropriate posts that others have written. And I NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn because I have an all molded towable!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Here is what I should post following any of my input/suggestion about...technical work: Please be aware and I am no expert. You might not achieve like what I did because before doing any paint/gas/electrical work I realize that I could be ended up on.....WHEELCHAIR or worse...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I subscribe to the "jump in head first, and then you have no choice but to swim" approach.
There are quite a few folks who do that believing failure is not an option. Many (like yourself) do well. Others learn that failure IS an option. This is the source of all of the totally gutted trailers on Craigslist...
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And I NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn because I have an all molded towable!

Even better! The egg shows that you're smart, thrifty, AND stylish!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #26

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think and this is only my opinion, that some of the responses to questions posed here on the forums should have some type of disclaimer or warning or other comment that such advice in not necessarily the best or the safest...
Greetings Jim.

I resemble that remark!

AND as stated at my thread i appreciate your honesty and posting basically the same advice over there. Because of your post i have included _some type of disclaimer_.

As i shared in that reply i agree 100% with your thoughts along these lines.

In addition, IMO, none of us are responsible for the actions of those who happen by any of our build threads, blogs, websites, or a post-it on our fridge; None of us could sleep a night if we really thought otherwise. Though admittedly, this statement comes from one who is a compulsive reader/researcher, and one who typically measures twice/cuts once only after a fair amount of due diligence.

In context of "disclaimers"...I've had my domain up since 1996 and have had tens of thousands of visitors. Since inception the front page of the website has had this in place:

The accrete.com crew
Reserves all rights
To be completely misinformed
Hold completely inaccurate views
And express completely insane opinions.
All without being corrected ;-)

The site is quite eclectic in nature and my friends know i have no shortage of "opinions"
... and as one other poster here said of himself "I'm a Jack of all trades, and master of none." IMO Each visitor should research and take 100% responsibilities for their own life... To go blindly following anyone's opinions/suggestions without due diligence is recipe for failure, though i suppose quite common ,(

The web as a tool for betterment has proven itself over the years. Most of us can agree we are all a bit wiser because of it and the interactions with fellow NetQuaintances. I appreciate this forum as a resource for further research into life with our egg and the personal interaction with many of its members. In the words of Jim in his OP"

"Good luck and happy camping."

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I feel there is a vast resource of knowledge to be tapped by reading this forum. Sure, it is also entertaining following the opinions and banter, but the collective pool of experience is a valuable asset for us. As internet users, we do have to develop our own personal "filtering" system to rate validity to the posts we read. In matters of health or machinery topics where safety is absolutely required we should try to find other sources of info in agreement as back up. On this site many people probably never post, but just read the topics that may pertain to their interests. Others are skilled in specific areas of expertise and feel they can add value to the site by posting. I started in the former group reading about other's experiences with their molded trailers. After a while I felt I could answer a question, or ask a question and had a desire to contribute and become a part of this wonderful resource. It did cross my mind about exposure to a lawsuit if someone was injured due to my advice. If we all worried too much about this FGRV wouldn't exist. I really dislike how unfair our legal system can be, and how it cripples exchanges like we have here. Perhaps a blanket disclaimer regarding all posts could suffice to warn people that can't stay out of trouble on their own to not trust anything they read here as gospel. The whole benefit to a site like this is the sharing of ideas and experiences with others. It makes you feel good to shed some light on another's problems, even if it is incandescent....
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I think the best, and shortest disclaimer is

YMMV
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fear of Failure

Many people never act because they fear failure. For me the description of what's possible, the decription of an accomplishment, is in encouragement, an opportunity to grow, to develop new skills.

When I see what someone else has accomplished it tells me it can be done.

Of course I recognize that I must be the responsible party, that I must add new skills, information and tools. To me this is the excitement of life.

If my first attempt doesn't work, I just try anew.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #30

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I think people need to be honest with themselves before they do anything. Im fairly handy and can do alot of things myself...watch a video read up on the sbject matter, ask questions, hundreds of google searches reading more and more. Some people just shouldn't touch a tool.

Coming from the boating world, Ive seen photo's of things people have done to their boats that compromised safety that you couldnt pay me to go for a boat ride with them lol. Every job I look at and decide is this something I can safely do? Is this something that is beyond my skillset? Is this just better off being done by a professional who would take responsibility if its done wrong? And some things its just easier to pay and have done. Back in the early spring I took my Rav4 in for some recall notices and had an oil change and they noticed my rear brakes were low...I let them do it because it was too cold to sit outside and do it since I dont have a garage and had a coupon so the price wasnt horrible and the dealership gave me a rental car for the afternoon for free...was worth it to me... sometimes like for example paying a $100 for a 12 volt plug to be installed in my caravan...I will do that myself and save that money for something more important.

But people need to be honest with themselves and even though your caravan/automobile/house whatever makes a thump thump sound and I have the exact samething and made a similar sound my fix might not be the solution to your problem...so take all advise with a grain of salt!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The difference between parts bought at a whole sale house dealing with contractors and the local home improvement store is that the parts from the home improvement stores
come with instructions often written by lawyers.. Owning tools and knowing how to properly use them are two different things. The first page of the NEC Art 90 states that the code book is NOT an instructional manual for untrained individuals . I fully believe that I can not learn brain surgery through WIKI or any forum and do not plan on trying
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #32

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Jumping in head first will allow you to sink or swim but check the water depth before the jump. In other words - do your research!

Always remember that good judgement comes with experience but some of that experience comes from bad judgement.

BTW - I've seen the results of some of that "experience." It is usually seen as a basket case, technician special or partly renovated item on Craigslist.

Remember Donna's caveat - YMMV
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
. I fully believe that I can not learn brain surgery through WIKI or any forum and do not plan on trying

YaBut....
Fixing an RV isn't brain surgery, it isn't even rocket science, heck it's hardly even shoe repair (sorry Gepetto & other cobblers of the world, no harm intended) There is almost nothing in our FGRV's that wasn't in common use 50+ years ago.

This isn't to say you can learn everything in a day on-line. What is important, is be able to recognize what you don't know how to do properly & safely and to know when to ask for help.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You just have to know your limitations.

If you don't know GAS, stay alive and get an expert.
If you are clueless about high voltage, get an electrician.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It is worth noting that much of the advice given is not along the lines of "you should do this" but guidance in what you might want to have done or looked at by a professional. Or this is what I did or the product I used.

Big difference in terms of liability between offering up opinion, information, or a suggestion and doing the work for someone. If there wasn't I would have been totally sued for all the people told the solution to their attitude problem was for them to go play jacks on the freeway. :-)

Pretty sure "I read it on the internet so I did it" would give the lawyers and judge a good chuckle as the case was dismissed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #36

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
So...I guess this means my tongue extension project using jb weld needs to be rethought. He said weld it and how was I to know jb wasn't a real welder?

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #37

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
As a licensed tradesman, I also am learning trailers are not built like a house but it is fun to learn. Great site for information regarding your renovation
Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Had to go back and read this old thread, if for no other reason than to find out what the title has to do with king pins and goose necks… interesting case of thread drift…

The early posts are worth reading. Great point and got my laugh for the day!

WARNING: Set your coffee down and swallow before reading!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #39
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
New thread created

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Had to go back and read this old thread, if for no other reason than to find out what the title has to do with king pins and goose necks… interesting case of thread drift…
I split the king pins/goose necks discussion into its own thread. For those who can/want to help with that, please check out the new Scamp 5th Wheel Hitch/Long Bed Truck thread, over in our Problem Solving forum.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #40

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Attachment 60231

Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?

Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Poking fun at myself here gang. I'm NOT an expert, but I read a lot and try to point folks to appropriate posts that others have written. And I NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn because I have an all molded towable!

And then there's a quote from the Wizard, FOR the experts....

"Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a DIPLOMA.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote