Responses and advice given here... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 AM   #41

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Remember the definition of "Ex Spurt"!!!
EX is a has been... and a Spurt is a drip under pressure.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
So...I guess this means my tongue extension project using jb weld needs to be rethought. He said weld it and how was I to know jb wasn't a real welder?

p@
P@t, as long as you reinforce it with duct tape you should be fine. 😀
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #43
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The recent question about window cleaning has been split and moved to Problem solving. Here's the link:

Windows Need Serious Cleaning Help.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
doing things yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

If people come to a forum for advice, they need to decipher if they're capable of doing said tasks (as long as the advice isn't completely wrong). IMHO, it's up to them to decide that, not anybody else.

If they can't figure out if they're capable of doing welding, wiring, propane work, etc., on their own, there's really no helping that.

This is the first time I've ever worked on a camper. I don't have near the experience of most people on here, but I'm comfortable doing any possible work on it, so I don't think you can necessarily go by experience, either.

I subscribe to the "jump in head first, and then you have no choice but to swim" approach.

OK guys I am 76 I have owned many things including commercial realestate and many campers. I have found if you want to keep your money you better have a concept of what you want done and a way to monitor what you are paying for. I have learned to do many things some attempts some great, some flops. I can sweat copper, do flares do minor plumbing repairs some electrical why because labor rates on this stuff can run 60 to 80bux an hour. I am not classifying all skilled workers in the same boat but and you all know it some companies show no mercy in billing you the one paying the bills and barely making it. I did learn to not be shy and ask what the charge per hour would be after getting it once!

I own a welder I will not attempt to do welding why because some of those welds are crucial to things and a safety concern. I know the difference between a n/g and a propane orfice and have changed many out and then I have a working appliance saving me the money to purchase the correct one.

If due to people being completely scared to do things by all means call the skilled guy but you miss out on the opportunity to learn. I have seen self taught electrician who can figure out 3-phase wiring God bless them that stuff scares me to death and I will not fool with it but I had a huge elevator once and figured out when it quit working I needed a huge switch. I am sure you skilled guys have another name for it! I learned to use a multimeter!

For me I was intent on finishing my life with a few bux not the other way around and I made it a Nichol and dime at a time not donating! I read many comments regarding the internet. How about this my 2005 cad got a miss in it my mechanic couldn't figure it out so I went on the net and found a 50.00 part to fix it, I ordered took it to him he put it on for 50bux. Believe me it was a stumper but I have my 2005 cad with 68k on it running perfectly now!

My best advice don't be afraid to attempt things so what if it doesn't work and you hve to put up with smirks. Who cares!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #45

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Like these posts; although this site gave me a starting point was misled a bit. Today I could do a better job of our rebuilding but experience is like hind sight. Still this sight was a great help
THANKYOU!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #46

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Green eggs and ham
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote