Responses and advice given here... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Responses and advice given here...

I think and this is only my opinion, that some of the responses to questions posed here on the forums should have some type of disclaimer or warning or other comment that such advice in not necessarily the best or the safest. We all perform modifications to our campers and change out 120v wiring, 12v wiring, heaters, fans and a lot of other changes.

Others see these and want the same for their units. But not everyone can properly tighten a wire nut nor properly flare a propane line or use the correct and proper teflon tape. Some changes should be left to the manufacturer or those who make these changes for a living and have been trained properly.

My only concern with some of these observations of butane vs propane stoves and portable heaters vs factory heater and ice box vs a refrigerator is that a novice may not be as careful as others in operating an outdoor heater inside a camper or a portable butane stove over a stock propane stove. I'd suggest that any advice given here on the forum should be not be considered as necessarily correct and that a manufacturer should always be consulted in the use of an appliance.

I have seen a lot of persons attempting to and failure to properly back up their unit, and then try to level their trailer improperly. Yet these same persons may read and then try to properly set up a portable heater inside that unit. Some are better off having stock items that are at least safe. When they read what others do they feel they can do the same where in reality they can not do such with the same safety others can. It mat be safer to pay a proper rv repair facility to make any changes.

Some posters even state a disclaimer when responding for advice, something others are not aware of. Just remember to always check and verify information obtained on a public forum and if one attempts to copy such advice or duplicate such, different results may be obtained. If you are uncertain as to how to properly operate a piece of equipment then you should consult the manufacturer or pay someone who does know!

Good luck and happy camping.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well-said, Jim. And it needs to be said, although not in every post. If you're installing, repairing, or modifying equipment based solely on a forum post, you need to exercise all due caution.

Just remember, free advice is worth every penny you pay for it!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like that- hope you don't mind my emphasis
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Not a bit. Always read the back of the ticket! Risk mitigation is fine, but I think a lot of folks take the whole "you're gonna get sued!" thing waaaay too far. The internet is its own disclaimer. Or as my science teacher once said while looking at an eclipse with the class- "If you're dumb enough to stare into the sun, you're gonna have to accept the fact that you're gonna be blind for a while."
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Good post Jim, I agree. Online advice or instructions can be misunderstood or interpreted. It's good for people to learn how to do repairs, but the best way in my opinion is to have an experienced person show them. Some repairs are just out of reach of the average persons' qualifications, yet others just need a little advice or direction.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
.......Risk mitigation is fine, but I think a lot of folks take the whole "you're gonna get sued!" thing waaaay too far.........
We are in a new era, with essentially unlimited sources of information. Filtering through information and deciding on its validity if a required skill for day to day living.

If you cannot accept that responsibility, don't ask for advice and have all work done by a professional, including driving, which is, statistically, the most dangerous thing that we do on a regular basis.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
You do bring up some good points. I too am guilty of often posting under the assumption that everyone else shares at least my level of expertise. Not saying that in a snobbish or egotistical manner, but only to point out that not everyone here shares the same levels of competence in performing electrical/mechanical/technical, etc. modifications as some others here have. While most posts are rather beneign, others can be outright dangerous or lethal if undertaken by someone with limited skill, knowledge or ability to adequately perform some of these mods/upgrades, etc. It is always a CAVEAT EMPTOR type of situation. Everyone should really know what they are biting off, and that what they want to do is within your abilities before attempting it. It's kinda like the stunt TV shows where they say, "These are trained professionals, do not attempt this at home..." This is particularly true with electrical, gas, and running gear upgrades and mods.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You can lead a horse to what you believe to be water. An old horse will know by the smell whether to accept the libation. Internet diagnoses and prescriptions engage the nose for all it's worth! Develop a good nose.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm in violent agreement with you.

I'm thinking of adding one of the following to my sig. file:
Warning: I don’t know what I’m talking about.
Warning: You don’t know me, I don’t know you. Advisee beware!
Warning: I’m not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Warning: I am an expert and it’s more complicated than you think.
Warning: Don’t do this at home.
Warning: Trailer packed by weight. Some settling may occur in transit.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You can lead a horse to what you believe to be water. An old horse will know by the smell whether to accept the libation. Internet diagnoses and prescriptions engage the nose for all it's worth! Develop a good nose.

jack
Jack the problem as I see it is that old horse has learned due to having gotten sick from having drank bad water what good water smells like. Just as every pup I have owned has had to learn the hard way(by getting sick), the difference between the smell of salt water vs fresh water. At the same time a trip to the local dog beach will reveal there are dogs that will keep drinking the salt water every time as they are simple not bright enough to have made the smell connection or perhaps they have simple been lucky and not gotten sick yet.

As Jim rightly points out, unfortunately some of the advise given here at times if placed in the inexperienced hands of people new to trailers who have not as yet had the bad experience to develop the smell, can be a good deal more deadly than just getting an upset stomach.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #11

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Jim, thank you for your well thought out posting. Well said. Thank you.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
As a newbie I feel compelled to throw in my 2 cents on this topic. I believe Tom has it right. Being able to analyze information is a necessary skill expected of everyone.

I originally lurked on this forum because I wanted to know what kind of trailer I could tow with my Honda CRV! Needless to say I learned a lot. I eventually was able to sort through the conflicting information. (I have since bought a Nissan Frontier and will be picking up my Escape 5.0 in July.) I was appreciative of the "experimental" nature of some of the forum members and believe that is what is unique about egg owners.

I hope fear of giving advice to newcomers doesn't trump discussion of what's possible. It would make for a boring community.

Tim
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Even suggesting something basic like using an electric buffer on gel-coat to restore the surface or 3M Stripe Remover wheel presumes some knowledge of using tools that not everyone will have. This allows people to make mistakes with consequences.

I figure many of the people offering advice or suggestions on this site are the experts I would pay to do the job. They are giving me the benefit of their expertise and experience for free. It's my job to ask for clarification and assess my own abilities or comfort level with attempting what is offered.

While a little long for a signature line, Maybe I should put a link to this disclaimer copied from a discussion on recommended products thread from about a year ago.

Disclaimer Link:
Your mileage may vary. Not everyone agrees. Some of this stuff if done incorrectly may totally mess up your RV or work out great anyway. Some of this stuff done correctly may not do what you think it will and could totally wreck you life or your RV. Electrical and propane work is dangerous, you could die. Or have a great new feature, who knows how good or lucky you are? Not us!

Some cleaning, painting, fiberglassing, waxing or decorating products can kill you. Especially if drunk in large quantities or sniffed for hours in a small RV while trying to de-gunk, repaint, repair, make shiny or pretty it up.

Some people recommend cheap junk you will hate having purchased or think you got a great deal on. Online reviews are your friend, not to say some of them are not written by people with whom I disagree completely. Or not.

Any reference by members to alcoholic beverages while working on or camping in a fiberglass RV does not constitute an endorsement by the moderators of such behavior except for the camping in fiberglass RV but it is a personal choice you made, don't blame us if it does not work out and you wish you had a stickie.

The moderators love fiberglass RV's they might even like you if they met you but it's up to you to decide if you want to do anything you read about here or just figure the person who wrote it is crazy.

+++++
Possibly just shorten to:
Suggestions made may be wrong or not work out. In the event of death or destruction I'm not responsible. Darwin may be right on the natural selection thing. If your trailer or head explodes while following this advice
  1. Please post pictures of exploded trailer!
  2. Any of the trailer parts still usable and for sale?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
[FONT=Arial]
Possibly just shorten to:
Suggestions made may be wrong or not work out. In the event of death or destruction I'm not responsible. Darwin may be right on the natural selection thing. If your trailer or head explodes while following this advice
  1. Please post pictures of exploded trailer!
  2. Any of the trailer parts still usable and for sale?
dang coffee & keyboard dont mix. You owe me!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Need to add "Murphy's Law" into the equation as well.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Murphy was an optimist.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Smile... tomorrow will be worse.

Spanke
Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post

jack
"You may lead a horse to water, but before you do remember what a wet horse smells like."

Drinking (or not) is but one possible outcome...
Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

If people come to a forum for advice, they need to decipher if they're capable of doing said tasks (as long as the advice isn't completely wrong). IMHO, it's up to them to decide that, not anybody else.

If they can't figure out if they're capable of doing welding, wiring, propane work, etc., on their own, there's really no helping that.

This is the first time I've ever worked on a camper. I don't have near the experience of most people on here, but I'm comfortable doing any possible work on it, so I don't think you can necessarily go by experience, either.

I subscribe to the "jump in head first, and then you have no choice but to swim" approach.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote