Rest area protocol.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Some states, I think Virginia? have signs restricting time to two hours with no overnights.
I have seen this around here too. They discourage overnight stays, probably because it would end up being abused by many, making it tougher to find a spot for those that want to stop for a short rest break.

If I am in need of an overnight stop, I usually look for a side street, or community hall/arena parking lot to use. I have even asked at a service station with a large lot, but not designed for trucks, and have usually got a go-ahead, as I am usually leaving bright and early anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #22

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I go where the signs tell me. It's just plain rude to take up multiple car spaces with your car & trailer when there are wide open spaces available in the truck/rv section. When I park amongst the trucks, I try to pick a spot to make sure I'm not likely to block these guys from getting out, or accidentally hitting me. Often these guys don't offer us the same courtesy, but oh well, what are you going to do?

Each rest area is a bit different. Many will have a loop on the outside with park along a curb against a grassy or wooded area. Often I'll try there first, as it can be the easiest to park, is generally out of everyone's way and may be a bit more peaceful. Also easier on me with the dog too.

I'm certainly not worried about truckers. In fact, one time I was broken down at a rest stop, and the only person willing to help me out was a trucker (bonus - they usually have tools!). At least you know with these guys that they are pros, and their company info is plastered on the side of their trucks for all the world to see. With people in cars and RV's, you don't really have any idea if they are good people or serial killers (unless they are towing an egg, obviously).
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sometimes while enroute I want to pull over and take a nap or stop for lunch at a rest area. I have found several rest areas, particularly on the other side of the Mississippi to be quite nice.
My questions involves following the entrance signs that seem to put our trailers as the same category as large 18 wheelers pulling 53' long trailers. I feel like a dwarf alongside some of these behemoths and a little intimidated. Over on the passenger car side there are large enough spaces to park but I always stay on the truck side. Other than above and feeling unsafe what are some thoughts or ideas as to stopping in rest areas? Do you stay on the smaller car side while towing or go to the truck side? Thanks for responding.
If I were going to be intimidated, It would be by that big rig of yours!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
In the Southeast, most rest stops direct cars with trailers to park with the trucks, and like some others have said, I feel safer among the truckers anyway.
I also prefer overnight stops at truck stops like Pilot/FlyingJ with the truckers rather than Walmart parking lots where I feel very vulnerable

Some states, I think Virginia? have signs restricting time to two hours with no overnights.

Walt
I go where the signs point (generally with the trucks) and often will choose a truck stop over a rest area for a nap.

Truck stop feels more secure, coffee or even breakfast available as soon as I wake up. There have been a few truck stops that seemed a bit sketchy so I just moved on. Same for a few rest areas, a few just seemed to set off my sketchy detection radar and I moved on.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Slept in the car till about 4 am when the smell of the cattle truck that had parked next to us woke us up. Guess I should have parked a bit farther away but who would have figured on that happening. It was a great sunrise though with the buttes in the back ground .
Was that buttes, or butts? I have seen the sun rise over a lot of cow butts, and yes it was beautiful!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If I were going to be intimidated, It would be by that big rig of yours!
Yup Yup Yup
Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Boy, both of you guys are suffering from trailer envy.....
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I go to the truck/trailer side almost every time. If the car side has really long spaces to accomodate my rig, I might go there instead. Or if the truck/trailer side were full. I never want to take more than one parking space if I can help it, and I think that taking more than one space would make you stand out to authorities who might be inclined to give a stern warning.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #29

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Truck and trailer side. The professional drivers need something to amuse them.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #30

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We fit neatly into two car spaces when pulling through lengthwise and would also fit with a 21'. Some have trucks towing fiberglass that cannot fit like that. I think the signs are, as with most trailer info, for fifth-wheelers, Class As and such and much of the world does not know that little fiberglass trailers exist. I would think that the truckers would look on eggs with amusement and wonder why we thought we belonged with them.
And I see tidewater just said they are amused!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
We fit neatly into two car spaces when pulling through lengthwise and would also fit with a 21'. Some have trucks towing fiberglass that cannot fit like that. I think the signs are, as with most trailer info, for fifth-wheelers, Class As and such and much of the world does not know that little fiberglass trailers exist. I would think that the truckers would look on eggs with amusement and wonder why we thought we belonged with them.
And I see tidewater just said they are amused!

WOW!!! Are you really trying to redefine "AUTOS WITH TRAILERS" to mean pickup truck with trailer. Automobiles with don't count. WOW, that about as big a stretch as I've seen.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #32

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
You have to admit Byron, there is quite a difference between a fifth wheel, or a 40' sticky, and a 15' Trillium towed by a Savana van.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
You have to admit Byron, there is quite a difference between a fifth wheel, or a 40' sticky, and a 15' Trillium towed by a Savana van.

Granted, BUT, Autos with trailers is really hard to understand like the word NO. So what part of "Autos with trailer" not understood.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I may be mistaken but I think the international travel symbol for all RV's (yes our little trailers are Recreational Vehicles) is a Class C motor home? maybe not but I personally don't feel good about taking up two parking spots in the car section of a rest stop.

I feel safer over with the real BIG truck guys anyways, especially when traveling on my own!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #35

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
I'm surprised they said anything to you. That rest area hasn't been very busy every time I've stopped there.
Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #36

Western Massachusetts
above was Reply to Raz, re: Smyrna, Del. rest stop
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #37

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I feel safer over with the real BIG truck guys anyways, especially when traveling on my own!
Me too.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #38

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
WOW!!! Are you really trying to redefine "AUTOS WITH TRAILERS" to mean pickup truck with trailer. Automobiles with don't count. WOW, that about as big a stretch as I've seen.
Don't recall saying that I was redefining, "AUTOS WITH TRAILERS." That is a stretch. OP mentioned no such sign that I see.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #39

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Boy, both of you guys are suffering from trailer envy.....
No more than you're suffering from "trailer compensation"!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #40

Western Massachusetts
This year, We used the truck side every time we stopped to rest or sleep, except during a few low traffic times, when I pulled in on the car side, parking away from the cars, and to only use the rest room and then leave right away. Sometimes the truck side is a long walk to the rest rooms.

We stayed in the Truck side of the Florida welcome center rest stop on I95 southbound, about 3 weeks ago. It was a busy place. Parked between 2 trucks that were not running and noted several Rv's of various sizes in between the trucks. We got about 7 hrs. of decent sleep and almost all of the same trucks and rv's were there when we left in the morning. On my way out of the rest rooms in the morning, I spotted a "no overnite parking" sign. But, I think that Florida wants tourists and doesn't want to hassle them and the signs are just a gentle reminder that's the rest area is not a campground.

About 5 weeks ago we tried to stop at the Flying J on I10 & US 301 just west of Jacksonville, FL. AT midnight, It was completely full so we parked next to a tractor-trailer in the (closed) McDonald's across the street til about 6am with No problems.

But I generally feel safer at the Welcome Center Rest Areas and other Rest Areas on the (limited access) Interstates than in either Truck Stops or Wal-Mart or other Parking Lots.