Rethought Must Have - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
I really wanted the new front cargo box that Bigfoot had as an option on their latest trailers. Unfortunately I was not able to find one at my price and settled without. I don't know if I'm trying to rationalize the disappointment but it just occurred to me (slow thinker here) that while the box does provide considerably more outside storage it also adds a few feet to the overall trailer length. In other words, the 17.5CB, for example, essentially becomes a 20' trailer but without the interior space of one that size. Handling characteristics,maneuverability, overall footprint for storage, etc. are also impacted by the extra length. Suppose you go to a campground where they have a limit on trailer length at 25' and you pull in with a Bigfoot 25RQ with a front cargo box. Will you be turned away?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
I really wanted the new front cargo box that Bigfoot had as an option on their latest trailers. Unfortunately I was not able to find one at my price and settled without. I don't know if I'm trying to rationalize the disappointment but it just occurred to me (slow thinker here) that while the box does provide considerably more outside storage it also adds a few feet to the overall trailer length. In other words, the 17.5CB, for example, essentially becomes a 20' trailer but without the interior space of one that size. Handling characteristics,maneuverability, overall footprint for storage, etc. are also impacted by the extra length. Suppose you go to a campground where they have a limit on trailer length at 25' and you pull in with a Bigfoot 25RQ with a front cargo box. Will you be turned away?
I wouldn't be too disappointed going without the front cargo box. I have the 25FB with one. I thought I could store my chairs, beer keg and a few other essential items in it but it is too shallow. There is a lot of space inside but the dimensions limit it. If I could redesign it I would elevate it up to the top of the trailer and have side opening doors. Then I would have the option for larger items.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I shy away from adding boxes to either the front or rear of our trailer as I fear it could affect the 'towability' by adding weight where it isn't pre-planned for (like at the factory?).
Adding a simple box to the front would NOT affect the overall length of the trailer UNLESS you cut into and add onto the front part of the frame to accomodate this box. Adding it to the rear, even without a frame extnsion could mean added length because the box then probably will extend out over the rear bumper!! (This might affect the impact capability of the bumper, either to the good or bad side??)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Doug,
The frame was lengthened by the factory to accommodate the optional box. The axles may have also been beefed up as a consequence to carry the additional weight.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote