review: Rollicool A/C mini-split - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,892
review: Rollicool A/C mini-split

I ordered and received a Rollibot Rollicool 10,000 BTU mini-split air conditioner unit last week from Walmart. This looked really promising for use with my Hauley, to keep cool while working inside it as well as while camping in it during the hot months. Today reached 86 degrees F so I unpacked it and set it up. The indoor and outdoor units each have a convenient carry handle, and they are connected by a hose-cord assembly that's plenty long. I placed the outdoor unit in a shaded spot. I set the indoor unit inside the rear door and fixed it so the door was only open a fairly small crack, figuring that for a quick test at this temp it woudn't matter much if a little air escaped since I need this to work when it's 100+ degrees outside.

When I started it up, no cooling could be felt for about the first 5 minutes but after that it began to put out cool air (maybe the coolant had to circulate and mix awhile?). The built-in thermostat/thermometer readout said it was 90 degrees inside the Hauley at the start of the trial. After about a half hour the readout had dropped to 83 degrees, but this was near the rear of the Hauley. The front of the trailer was noticeably warmer than the rear at this point.

Unfortunately, even though I kept the Rollicool running for over an hour, 83 degrees was as low as it got! It never got comfortably cool inside the trailer. This A/C seems to cool more like a 3000 or 4000 BTU unit than a 10K. I'm disappointed, so I packed it back in the box and plan to return it to WM.

I hope this review is helpful to anyone who may be considering purchase of one of these.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,223
Registry
Thank you Mike. Sorry that it didnít work out for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bernese Bunch's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I ordered and received a Rollibot Rollicool 10,000 BTU mini-split air conditioner unit last week from Walmart. This looked really promising for use with my Hauley, to keep cool while working inside it as well as while camping in it during the hot months. Today reached 86 degrees F so I unpacked it and set it up. The indoor and outdoor units each have a convenient carry handle, and they are connected by a hose-cord assembly that's plenty long. I placed the outdoor unit in a shaded spot. I set the indoor unit inside the rear door and fixed it so the door was only open a fairly small crack, figuring that for a quick test at this temp it woudn't matter much if a little air escaped since I need this to work when it's 100+ degrees outside.

When I started it up, no cooling could be felt for about the first 5 minutes but after that it began to put out cool air (maybe the coolant had to circulate and mix awhile?). The built-in thermostat/thermometer readout said it was 90 degrees inside the Hauley at the start of the trial. After about a half hour the readout had dropped to 83 degrees, but this was near the rear of the Hauley. The front of the trailer was noticeably warmer than the rear at this point.

Unfortunately, even though I kept the Rollicool running for over an hour, 83 degrees was as low as it got! It never got comfortably cool inside the trailer. This A/C seems to cool more like a 3000 or 4000 BTU unit than a 10K. I'm disappointed, so I packed it back in the box and plan to return it to WM.

I hope this review is helpful to anyone who may be considering purchase of one of these.
Thanks for the review. I was thinking about using a mini-split for a new trailer I'm planning but don't want to put holes in the fiberglass unless the unit is truly worth the high ticket price. Seems the portable AC's have gotten much better in the years since I first saw them used in Europe. Might sacrifice the interior storage and buy one of these. My plans are to order an Escape 17B this week.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 2,088
Lots of difference between the unit he used and a proper mini-split.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
CarlD's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 499
JD,

What is the difference between the Rollicool and a proper mini-split? Is it a separate condenser and evaporator or some other technology? The description on the Rollicool website for this AC unit has a lot to be desired.
__________________
Your heirs will inherit money and stuff when you are gone. You can only save or spend money, but you can do things with stuff, so they are going to inherit stuff!
CarlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Posts: 2,088
Compare the two, one is a portable with flexible lines and a regular mini-split is "fixed, with hard lines, and the inside unit is probably larger with better air flow.
Your decision,
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Posts: 88
I appreciate the review. I am looking for a good way to add a lightweight AC to my Scamp and have looked at these units. You saved me some time and money with your review!
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,358
It seems like a simple window unit, like Little Snoozy used, is the most practical for a small retrofit system. Cheap, can be removed easily, no wiring fished up to the roof, nothing out on the tongue, low power draw. And, the way Snoozy did it, it can remain permanently. That is much nicer than converting a window or having it stick out the side. If I didn't already have a rooftop one, I'd seriously consider an installation under the forward dinette bench.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
CarlD's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 499
I am still working on a good AC design for my Lil Hauley build. For the interim I am going to cut out a piece of plywood to fit the emergency window then cut out a hole for the window AC unit. I did this on my Hilo and it worked well. We carry the AC unit and board in the truck only when we think we will need it. It is easy to install but does ruin your view out the window.
__________________
Your heirs will inherit money and stuff when you are gone. You can only save or spend money, but you can do things with stuff, so they are going to inherit stuff!
CarlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,358
Carl,

Did you decide against the location in the Snoozys?
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CarlD's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 499
I really don't like the looks of the AC unit sticking out of the back of the trailer and it is a bit of a head hazard. I am thinking, and have allocated the space in my design, about placing the AC unit in the same area as the Lil Snoozys, except I am considering mounting the AC unit on a sliding mechanism. A baggage door would be located where the AC unit would be pushed thru for proper ventilation. It is a bit complicated, considering sealing and drainage, etc.. The AC unit could also be easily removed if would not be needed for a trip. The trailer is finished but I still need to test the water system. I am planning that for tomorrow, because we are still expecting temperatures below freezing tonight. I will look into a more permanent AC installation in the future, but right now we want to go camping!
__________________
Your heirs will inherit money and stuff when you are gone. You can only save or spend money, but you can do things with stuff, so they are going to inherit stuff!
CarlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,358
I was thinking about the Snoozy AC location, and there doesn't seem to be a better location that comes to mind. Sticking out the back is something I wondered about for some time as it seemed kinda weird. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense, given the restrictions of the overall design, with the curves, not wanting it on the roof, no dinette bench, no front window, etc. Sliding it out, in that same location, seems viable as long as you don't mine it being over the sink, or whatever you put there inside. Even when slid in, it will have to have a weather door of some kind on the outside. It just keeps coming back to the compromise they made, seems reasonable. That is, as long as you don't mind bumping your head.

Hoping to see some pix of your interior.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It seems like a simple window unit, like Little Snoozy used, is the most practical for a small retrofit system. Cheap, can be removed easily, no wiring fished up to the roof, nothing out on the tongue, low power draw. And, the way Snoozy did it, it can remain permanently. That is much nicer than converting a window or having it stick out the side. If I didn't already have a rooftop one, I'd seriously consider an installation under the forward dinette bench.
We just slip on the window bracket and then slide in window ac when we get to campsite, while towing, we just slip of bracket and ac. It takes only a minute, less stress on sill while traveling. Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps. We didnít have to modify or cut holes in trailer, simple, simple!
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
We just slip on the window bracket and then slide in window ac when we get to campsite, while towing, we just slip of bracket and ac. It takes only a minute, less stress on sill while traveling. Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps. We didnít have to modify or cut holes in trailer, simple, simple!
Good plan. I use the AC almost never and really don't like that appendage up on the roof. Or the noise inside. Seems like almost every trailer gets the same big power hungry unit. The problems with building a household window unit in, is building the box that separates the intake air from the exhaust air and making a large hole in the wall. With a double wall trailer, it becomes more tricky.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Posts: 2,966
It easy to say you can just slip in a window unit when you get to a campsite and then take it back out when you leave.

However it is not that easy to do such a thing for individuals who can't life that much weight because of back, hand, shoulder, heart, etc issues. But having one mounted on sliding brackets inside of a cabinet with a removable exterior cover is one potential solution.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bernese Bunch's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
We just slip on the window bracket and then slide in window ac when we get to campsite, while towing, we just slip of bracket and ac. It takes only a minute, less stress on sill while traveling. Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps. We didnít have to modify or cut holes in trailer, simple, simple!
Would you have a photo of the brackets? Are they permanently mounted inside or outside the shell?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Posts: 390
Registry
Thanks for the review. I wonder if the unit you got was defective in some way (undercharged, perhaps?). Although I still made a note to avoid that one when I decide on AC for my Scamp.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
Thanks for the review. I wonder if the unit you got was defective in some way (undercharged, perhaps?). Although I still made a note to avoid that one when I decide on AC for my Scamp.

Harold
Is your comment directed at Mike Magee? Pete's review of his window model was that it worked very well.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Posts: 390
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Is your comment directed at Mike Magee? Pete's review of his window model was that it worked very well.
I saw Pete's comment where he said: "Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps."

An undercharged unit would not freeze anyone out.

The OP Mike Magee reviewed the Rollicool A/C mini-split, and said it did not cool his trailer. My comment about it being defective and possibly undercharged was related to his review about poor cooling.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Posts: 21
your test is not sufficient

just a heads up - air conditioners can only drop the ambient temperature about 20 degrees F (if they are really good).

The way they work REQUIRES that the air to be warmed goes thru the unit repeatedly (unless only a little cooling is needed).

Since you were in a rather hot scenario, and you did not seal the opening, I would be very surprised if ANY AC did much better.

Please try again - take the time to seal the opening - heavy cardboard, tape etc, what ever it takes. Also try to get the AC elevated.

If you are putting it in the doorway for the test, you may need a small fan to get the air circulating.

PS: a small thermometer in the output grill will provide useful info.
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ductless Mini-split AC clearances sharpstick Modifications, Alterations and Updates 28 02-26-2019 10:00 AM
Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit ShawnKK Modifications, Alterations and Updates 48 01-10-2017 09:05 AM
Mini Split A/C instalation silvio suarez Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 12-09-2016 10:52 PM
Vid on my installed Mini Split A/C system on a RV ShawnKK Modifications, Alterations and Updates 5 08-04-2013 06:28 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.