review: Rollicool A/C mini-split - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
review: Rollicool A/C mini-split

I ordered and received a Rollibot Rollicool 10,000 BTU mini-split air conditioner unit last week from Walmart. This looked really promising for use with my Hauley, to keep cool while working inside it as well as while camping in it during the hot months. Today reached 86 degrees F so I unpacked it and set it up. The indoor and outdoor units each have a convenient carry handle, and they are connected by a hose-cord assembly that's plenty long. I placed the outdoor unit in a shaded spot. I set the indoor unit inside the rear door and fixed it so the door was only open a fairly small crack, figuring that for a quick test at this temp it woudn't matter much if a little air escaped since I need this to work when it's 100+ degrees outside.

When I started it up, no cooling could be felt for about the first 5 minutes but after that it began to put out cool air (maybe the coolant had to circulate and mix awhile?). The built-in thermostat/thermometer readout said it was 90 degrees inside the Hauley at the start of the trial. After about a half hour the readout had dropped to 83 degrees, but this was near the rear of the Hauley. The front of the trailer was noticeably warmer than the rear at this point.

Unfortunately, even though I kept the Rollicool running for over an hour, 83 degrees was as low as it got! It never got comfortably cool inside the trailer. This A/C seems to cool more like a 3000 or 4000 BTU unit than a 10K. I'm disappointed, so I packed it back in the box and plan to return it to WM.

I hope this review is helpful to anyone who may be considering purchase of one of these.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thank you Mike. Sorry that it didn’t work out for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I ordered and received a Rollibot Rollicool 10,000 BTU mini-split air conditioner unit last week from Walmart. This looked really promising for use with my Hauley, to keep cool while working inside it as well as while camping in it during the hot months. Today reached 86 degrees F so I unpacked it and set it up. The indoor and outdoor units each have a convenient carry handle, and they are connected by a hose-cord assembly that's plenty long. I placed the outdoor unit in a shaded spot. I set the indoor unit inside the rear door and fixed it so the door was only open a fairly small crack, figuring that for a quick test at this temp it woudn't matter much if a little air escaped since I need this to work when it's 100+ degrees outside.

When I started it up, no cooling could be felt for about the first 5 minutes but after that it began to put out cool air (maybe the coolant had to circulate and mix awhile?). The built-in thermostat/thermometer readout said it was 90 degrees inside the Hauley at the start of the trial. After about a half hour the readout had dropped to 83 degrees, but this was near the rear of the Hauley. The front of the trailer was noticeably warmer than the rear at this point.

Unfortunately, even though I kept the Rollicool running for over an hour, 83 degrees was as low as it got! It never got comfortably cool inside the trailer. This A/C seems to cool more like a 3000 or 4000 BTU unit than a 10K. I'm disappointed, so I packed it back in the box and plan to return it to WM.

I hope this review is helpful to anyone who may be considering purchase of one of these.
Thanks for the review. I was thinking about using a mini-split for a new trailer I'm planning but don't want to put holes in the fiberglass unless the unit is truly worth the high ticket price. Seems the portable AC's have gotten much better in the years since I first saw them used in Europe. Might sacrifice the interior storage and buy one of these. My plans are to order an Escape 17B this week.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Lots of difference between the unit he used and a proper mini-split.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
JD,

What is the difference between the Rollicool and a proper mini-split? Is it a separate condenser and evaporator or some other technology? The description on the Rollicool website for this AC unit has a lot to be desired.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Compare the two, one is a portable with flexible lines and a regular mini-split is "fixed, with hard lines, and the inside unit is probably larger with better air flow.
Your decision,
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
I appreciate the review. I am looking for a good way to add a lightweight AC to my Scamp and have looked at these units. You saved me some time and money with your review!
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It seems like a simple window unit, like Little Snoozy used, is the most practical for a small retrofit system. Cheap, can be removed easily, no wiring fished up to the roof, nothing out on the tongue, low power draw. And, the way Snoozy did it, it can remain permanently. That is much nicer than converting a window or having it stick out the side. If I didn't already have a rooftop one, I'd seriously consider an installation under the forward dinette bench.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Syracuse, NY
I am still working on a good AC design for my Lil Hauley build. For the interim I am going to cut out a piece of plywood to fit the emergency window then cut out a hole for the window AC unit. I did this on my Hilo and it worked well. We carry the AC unit and board in the truck only when we think we will need it. It is easy to install but does ruin your view out the window.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Carl,

Did you decide against the location in the Snoozys?
Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

Syracuse, NY
I really don't like the looks of the AC unit sticking out of the back of the trailer and it is a bit of a head hazard. I am thinking, and have allocated the space in my design, about placing the AC unit in the same area as the Lil Snoozys, except I am considering mounting the AC unit on a sliding mechanism. A baggage door would be located where the AC unit would be pushed thru for proper ventilation. It is a bit complicated, considering sealing and drainage, etc.. The AC unit could also be easily removed if would not be needed for a trip. The trailer is finished but I still need to test the water system. I am planning that for tomorrow, because we are still expecting temperatures below freezing tonight. I will look into a more permanent AC installation in the future, but right now we want to go camping!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #12

Smith Valley, Nevada
I was thinking about the Snoozy AC location, and there doesn't seem to be a better location that comes to mind. Sticking out the back is something I wondered about for some time as it seemed kinda weird. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense, given the restrictions of the overall design, with the curves, not wanting it on the roof, no dinette bench, no front window, etc. Sliding it out, in that same location, seems viable as long as you don't mine it being over the sink, or whatever you put there inside. Even when slid in, it will have to have a weather door of some kind on the outside. It just keeps coming back to the compromise they made, seems reasonable. That is, as long as you don't mind bumping your head.

Hoping to see some pix of your interior.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #13

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It seems like a simple window unit, like Little Snoozy used, is the most practical for a small retrofit system. Cheap, can be removed easily, no wiring fished up to the roof, nothing out on the tongue, low power draw. And, the way Snoozy did it, it can remain permanently. That is much nicer than converting a window or having it stick out the side. If I didn't already have a rooftop one, I'd seriously consider an installation under the forward dinette bench.
We just slip on the window bracket and then slide in window ac when we get to campsite, while towing, we just slip of bracket and ac. It takes only a minute, less stress on sill while traveling. Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps. We didn’t have to modify or cut holes in trailer, simple, simple!
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
We just slip on the window bracket and then slide in window ac when we get to campsite, while towing, we just slip of bracket and ac. It takes only a minute, less stress on sill while traveling. Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps. We didn’t have to modify or cut holes in trailer, simple, simple!
Good plan. I use the AC almost never and really don't like that appendage up on the roof. Or the noise inside. Seems like almost every trailer gets the same big power hungry unit. The problems with building a household window unit in, is building the box that separates the intake air from the exhaust air and making a large hole in the wall. With a double wall trailer, it becomes more tricky.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It easy to say you can just slip in a window unit when you get to a campsite and then take it back out when you leave.

However it is not that easy to do such a thing for individuals who can't life that much weight because of back, hand, shoulder, heart, etc issues. But having one mounted on sliding brackets inside of a cabinet with a removable exterior cover is one potential solution.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
Would you have a photo of the brackets? Are they permanently mounted inside or outside the shell?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #17

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Thanks for the review. I wonder if the unit you got was defective in some way (undercharged, perhaps?). Although I still made a note to avoid that one when I decide on AC for my Scamp.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #18

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
Thanks for the review. I wonder if the unit you got was defective in some way (undercharged, perhaps?). Although I still made a note to avoid that one when I decide on AC for my Scamp.

Harold
Is your comment directed at Mike Magee? Pete's review of his window model was that it worked very well.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #19

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Is your comment directed at Mike Magee? Pete's review of his window model was that it worked very well.
I saw Pete's comment where he said: "Our end of season sale at Walmart cost us $79 for the little 5000 btu a/c. It will freeze us out in 100 degree temps."

An undercharged unit would not freeze anyone out.

The OP Mike Magee reviewed the Rollicool A/C mini-split, and said it did not cool his trailer. My comment about it being defective and possibly undercharged was related to his review about poor cooling.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #20

Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
your test is not sufficient

just a heads up - air conditioners can only drop the ambient temperature about 20 degrees F (if they are really good).

The way they work REQUIRES that the air to be warmed goes thru the unit repeatedly (unless only a little cooling is needed).

Since you were in a rather hot scenario, and you did not seal the opening, I would be very surprised if ANY AC did much better.

Please try again - take the time to seal the opening - heavy cardboard, tape etc, what ever it takes. Also try to get the AC elevated.

If you are putting it in the doorway for the test, you may need a small fan to get the air circulating.

PS: a small thermometer in the output grill will provide useful info.
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote