Rising Fuel Costs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Rising fuel costs are hurting everyone world wide.There is no way out of this situation.I beleive it will continue to climb.
I, myself use compact fuel efficient vehicles.No big Gas consumption units in our household.Truck for towing is GMC Sonoma rated at 4900lbs.
Two cars both Toyotos.A Toyoto Echo 1.3 litre motor.Daily commute vehicle.A Toyoto Matrx at 1.7 litre our family 4 door unit.
All vehicles have there use for us.

I dont beleive we are going to see good fuel prices ever again.No point in complaining.
I guess we best start looking at other countries and see what they tow with and how they manage.

The day of big tow units and fuel economics are coming to a end.
This is my thoughts for the day.
Enjoy and ponder these thoughts.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Rising fuel costs are hurting everyone world wide.There is no way out of this situation.I beleive it will continue to climb.
I, myself use compact fuel efficient vehicles.No big Gas consumption units in our household.Truck for towing is GMC Sonoma rated at 4900lbs.
Two cars both Toyotos.A Toyoto Echo 1.3 litre motor.Daily commute vehicle.A Toyoto Matrx at 1.7 litre our family 4 door unit.
All vehicles have there use for us.

I dont beleive we are going to see good fuel prices ever again.No point in complaining.
I guess we best start looking at other countries and see what they tow with and how they manage.

The day of big tow units and fuel economics are coming to a end.
This is my thoughts for the day.
Enjoy and ponder these thoughts.
Chester - this is the reason we ordered a Scamp 13. Gas in Labrador and Newfy is $4-$5 a gallon. We currently travel with an S10 with a 2.2 liter engine and a Palomino pop-up pickup camper. Chevy no longer makes the S10 or Sonoma and we decided it was time for a change or else we wouldn't be able to afford the gas. It is a 1000 mile trip to our land
on the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland, and we would like the convenience of unhooking our vehicle to go fishing,etc. I plan to trade away both the S10 and Palomino right after I go to Minnesota to get the Scamp, and will buy a small car to tow it with. We currently own a Chevy Aveo and I use a 2.2 L Sonoma in my work in the woods. I am going to try towing the Scamp with the Aveo for a short trip just to see if it works. If it does then I will trade the S10 for a toyota corolla. If not, I will pick up a 4Cyl Ranger short cab pickup. The ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfy charges extra for vehicles over 30', and we aren't rich.By the way, Newfy is a great place to camp. Except for Gros Morn National Park, you can camp anywhere free. We carry a battery with a 2'x4' solar panel and run everything on it including a 12v TV. Be careful of the moose and caribou, and the fishing is out of this world. I caught and released 1200 fish in 5 days of fishing last summer. Sea trout, brookies, and Atlantic salmon. Try not to drive at night as the moose are everywhere, especially around the National Park, and the scenery is incredible if you like mountains and the bluest ocean you will ever see. You will feel right at home in Canada with an egg, since they are very popular up there.
Bob and Cherie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Bob, be SURE to carefully research the tow capacity of the Ranger before you buy one -- In 1998 Owners Manual, there are something like 60!!! different combinations of Ranger truck equippages and the tow ratings vary from almost 6,000lbs all the way down to "Not recommended for towing", depending on body, engine, trans, differential ratio, etc.

Ches, a temporary savings in fuel costs can be obtained by moving into the Lower 48, preferably Georgia
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

In San Diego, we sometimes seem to pay the highest retail prices in the lower 48. I joke about travelling to other states where it is cheaper to go camping than for me to commute to work.

The Odyssey gets decent mileage when towing a 16' trailer if I keep the speed down to 55 miles per hour. My commute is 3 miles one way to the office, and the Odyssey sits there all day. I rack up most of it's miles towing.

Robert, OTOH, may need to dart about frequently, and he drives a 1992 Geo Metro 3-cylinder 2-door hatchback. We're keeping that one for as long as the body holds together. The engine & transmission are still great, and it gets very good mileage. Just gotta remember to reattach the pieces that fall off occasionally.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"Ches, a temporary savings in fuel costs can be obtained by moving into the Lower 48, preferably Georgia "

No too hot most likely for me,but thanks for invite
Old 07-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
I saw an electric car on the news today. It can go 250 miles on a charge, At a cost of 1 cent per mile. They cost $100,000. I will not be buying one, but it gave me some hope. They say they will be available at less cost...um...sometime. Is it too cynical to think they are waiting till they've sold all the oil? I just try to be happy with what we can do.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
We saw that too.

I smell another Physical Law Violation with that 1 cent per mile claim.
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #8

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I have begun riding my bicycle to and from work. It's great as long as it is warm out!

My wife drives a Honda Civic that gets a genuine 38mpg hiway during her 40 mile each way commute.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Something that most people do not consider when talking about the price of gas is inflation. A long time ago, when I was a kid just starting to drive, gas was about 65 cent a gallon and minimum wage was $1.45. You could buy about 2.4 gallons of gas for one hour work at minimum wake. Here in Wisconsin, minimum wage is now $6.50 and gas is about $3.00/gallon. You can still buy 2.1 gallons of gas for 1 hour of minimum wage. We have been spoiled by low gas prices and now it hurts to fill up. People in the US have been very lucky (our Canadian friends will agree with that) and we don't like the economy of 2006.

I saw an news conference on TV about 2 months ago with a gas company spokesman pertaining to the gas price situtation. He stated that the record profits by the oil companies has nothing to do with the increase in gas prices paid at the pumps. The record profits are caused by cutting their overhead and good management. This guy thought that we were stupid enough to believe that drivel. Can you believe that he even said that.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:

Something that most people do not consider when talking about the price of gas is inflation. A long time ago, when I was a kid just starting to drive, gas was about 65 cent a gallon

Well when gas went above 50 cents a gallon I thought it was way way too much. Lets go back to gas war days. The lowest I saw gas was 15 cents a gallon. In a couple places it went lower than that. Even at 25 cents a gallon 45 years ago, to 3.00 dollars today, that an increase of 1200%.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
I saw an news conference on TV about 2 months ago with a gas company spokesman pertaining to the gas price situtation. He stated that the record profits by the oil companies has nothing to do with the increase in gas prices paid at the pumps. The record profits are caused by cutting their overhead and good management. This guy thought that we were stupid enough to believe that drivel. Can you believe that he even said that.
That is a snow job, but only in part. Gas prices have been rising due to speculation on the price of a barrel of oil, not by any nefarious gas company manipulation. If you want to blame someone, blame the stock market...oops, you can't blame them, they're just doing their job. Ok, here's who's causing our woes... blame China, Indonesia, and other "third-worlds" for joining the modern age and needing more oil. It's basic supply and demand theory, more demand than supply makes prices rise. And we can blame ourselves for not allowing more domestic well drilling...Not in our backyards, or in our wilderness,or off our coasts.

What I DON'T like was what the gas company spokesman refered to as "good management". What they did was to creatively figure out how to make it so that the price of gas at the pump is directly joined at the hip to the price of oil still in the ground. It makes it so that when the market blips, the gas pump price shoots up that same day. That's where the Gas Company makes it's profits, on product made with cheaper oil that's now sold at higher prices. That Gas Company Spokesman was blowing smoke on that one.

Want to see gas prices fall? Here's my Utopian solution...don't buy any more gas. Don't drive, ...take a bus, ride a bike, take a train, walk. While it's not very practical, it's a cold turkey solution. Go sell the SUV, and the second car. Go buy a gas sipping matchbox car and start car-pooling. Also, get rid of the the boat, the 4-wheelers, and other gas toys. Use a push mower or buy a goat. The little Fiberglass trailer may have to be put up on blocks, but camping in the backyard can be an adventure too. Sorry, I know it's it's too cruel, but unless we start drilling more wells in our own backyards,or in all those places that Greenpeace doesn't want us to, the only other option is to cut demand.

I don't see how we can wean ourselves away from oil, our society has been mainlining it since World War I. Our civilization is now designed for the automobile. We all no longer live within walking distance of our jobs, there's no longer a corner grocery, there's no longer any sidewalks to keep you from walking in the street. Think about it, how many places do you work at, or shop at in your everyday life, can you walk to.

The Hybrid/Electric car is still not the solution, but it's close. It's still too expensive, and there's no infrastructure to support it(yet). It'll be ten years at best before the price-point on a Hybrid car is low enough to be competitive. When gas does hit the $5 mark, think seriously how hard it would be to live your life without an automobile. I know I won't be able to use my car when gas hits $5. With the exception of the Uber-Rich, I imagine we'll be all driving souped-up golf carts inside of ten years, and count on tele-commuting to become the norm for virtually all white-collar jobs.

OK, I'm off my soapbox.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
When I got married in 1964, gas was $.33/gal and Hamberger was $.33/pound.

Today, there is a Hamberger special in the newspaper for $2.99. Gas here is about the normal cost of Hamberger $3.35.

PS: When I got married, a loaf of bread was $.25.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Yeah yeah...

Anyone remember when DIRT was cheap?

(We need an old lady in a rocking chair smiley)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
The only good news re high petroleum costs is that it makes more sense for investors to put money into alternative fuels. When gas is cheap, who needs windmills, or electric cars or tide-power, or figuring out how to tap into the earth's heat?

My hope is gas stays high enough just long enough to get some real alternatives. Then we can start using those old dinosaur bones for pharmaceuticals and other unique uses, and quit burning it all up!

In the mean time, I can't take a bus or the subway to work, but I can walk to the store and use a pusher mower: I live on a small lot in a small town.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #15

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Greetings -

Bob and Cherie L. -

Hmmm I would seriously "reconsider" even trying the Aveo as at the Chevrolet web site, it is stated: " Trailering is not recommended." Now I "know" we all have tried and many times "succeeded" doing things that are NOT recommended, but I would think by the time you install the hitch / wiring / trailer brake (or not, though I believe that they are required up your way, and even "if" not, on a vehicle that light, "if" you got to try I would consider it a must - safety wise), anyways, you will have a "tidy" sum tied in equipment that may not work nor easily transferred to another vehicle.
- - - Nothing against the Aveo, we own one and LOVE it especially the mileage

Also as Pete Dumbleton said make sure to check the specs of the Ranger you are "considering" as they produce a "price leader" (at least here in the states) that I think had a very limited towing limit.

Did a "quick look" at the Toyota Corolla and it seems to state (at least on their web site) that they have a 1500 lb. capacity for towing - which "if" carefully done, should be doable

Just helpful thoughts - - and Good Luck
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:23 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Yeah yeah...

Anyone remember when DIRT was cheap?

(We need an old lady in a rocking chair smiley)
It's been said that I should be able to remember when there wasn't any dirt since I'm supposed to be "older than dirt".
Old 07-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Quote:
It's been said that I should be able to remember when there wasn't any dirt since I'm supposed to be "older than dirt".
when my son was around 7yrs. old he asked me, "In olden days when you were young were the mountains formed yet". I asked him if they were studying dinosaurs at shool.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:03 AM   #18

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Our ideas and practices - -

Plan ALL (combine when possible) trips (and I am referring to the daily stuff) so there will be no wasted "miles";

Get a "rewards" credit card (we have a Shell MasterCard which pays 5% back, which locally makes the local Shell the "least expensive" for us, by 7¢);

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance - Tune Ups / L-O-F / proper Air Pressure in tires;

"IF" you commute over 50 miles daily, consider a "econo-box", we traded our Dodge Dakota which got 18mpg for a Chev Aveo at 31mpg - commute 60 miles a day (which we do). The math is 5 X 60 = 300 .... 300/18 = 16.66 gallons - - - 300/31 = 9.68 gallons - - - savings of 6.98 gallons, thus gas at $3.079 (current today) is a savings of $21.49 per week - - 21.49 X 4.3 = $92.41 saved per month, which easily covers the "payment" PLUS the advantage of a Bumper to Bumper Warranty, thus in essence no repairs cost - just maintenance - thus an additional savings;

Of course the "always" recommended, no jack rabbit starts, find the sweet spot for maximum mpg (on the Aveo it seems to be 60mph - of course legally), ease to a stop, less idling (turn off the engine, when in lines, i.e., banks, fast food);

Other ways to save - do your own L-O-F; raise the deductible on your vehicle Insurance (provided you can afford the deductible -hint - what we have saved from going from a $500 deductible to a $1000 deductible, put that savings aside until you have the cash for the deductible - thus you have it when you need it AND you can earn a little on interest as well); take advantage of public transportation when possible.

This is what we have been doing to $ave on our transportation ¢o$t$ But it does seem like a losing battle in the biggest of pictures.

p s

Any more $aving ideas out there??
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
In June/05 I purchased my 2005 GMC Colorado. It came with a gas card for Petro Canada good for 20cents off a litre up to 2500 litres. If I use my Petro Can gas card also I receive an additional 3 cent's off a litre. Only one glitch is we no longer have a Petro Canada Service station here and the closest one is 72 km. return trip to the next town. It's great if I am travelling out of town.

In Aug. I am planning to travel the 6000 mi. return trip to the Yukon so, I will see if they have a pamphlet with all their service stations in B.C. It usually works out to about $10.00 for every $64.00 fill up. A little reprieve.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I think their profits has a lot to do with price manipulation. Locally prices vary by 10% within an hour. Friday morning till Monday @ 8 PM prices are high everywhere. Then Monday night from 8-11 PM they drop (Tuesdays on long weekends). Even though our GST dropped 1% July 1, and the sticker on the pump says taxes are 43% of the cost of gas. I never seen any price change to reflect the tax change. Has anyone else noticed this?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote