Rivian Electric Truck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #1

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Rivian Electric Truck

I saw one of these on the local streets today.
They go for about $70k and offer 300 miles per charge cycle.
I suppose I'm being an old fashion gas engine guy. I can't get the idea
of an electric TV, in its present state, being a good move to make.

https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1t
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
If I had the money, I'd buy an electric tow vehicle in a hot second. Gas prices are going to continue to climb and I like the low environmental impact of electric. We bought an electric car to replace DH's 22 yo Subaru and it has 265 mile range and great pick-up. It won't tow my camper though
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
If they can get the battery tech to the point where they can fully recharge in 10 minutes or less, then I will be very interested. But not until then.

Having said that, the Rivian looks interesting. I watched a series of videos about them doing the trans-america trail.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:49 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
A company employee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
I saw one of these on the local streets today.
They go for about $70k and offer 300 miles per charge cycle.
I suppose I'm being an old fashion gas engine guy. I can't get the idea
of an electric TV, in its present state, being a good move to make.
I think they are the only ones driving them. Note that towing cuts range in half and if we all go electric there is not enough electricity in the USA to charge them all unless we stay home. I'd like a mach E but just as a novelty, not as dependable transportation.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
another Rivian truck spotted

I also saw a Rivian truck yesterday parked on Woodward Ave in downtown Detroit. Didn't look at the license plate to determine if it was a manufacturer vehicle.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #6

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
I also saw a Rivian truck yesterday parked on Woodward Ave in downtown Detroit. Didn't look at the license plate to determine if it was a manufacturer vehicle.
Many people are starting to install solar chargers for their EVís at their homes. I believe this will offset electrical use.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I doubt there's an EV out there with a towing range of 200 miles for any fg trailer. I personally would not be interested in anything less than 300 miles range. And charging times can't get much smaller because the current rate would be prohibitive.

Walt
Old 01-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
In am really in love with the Rivian but the very first ones off the assembly line have a basic backup camera that will not show a trailer hitch. Hoping they put in a better camera. I bought stock in the company because I couldn't afford the truck at this point.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Many people are starting to install solar chargers for their EVís at their homes. I believe this will offset electrical use.
I have a couple solar powered lights in the back yard. We have not had enough sun to power them in over a month now!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Many people are starting to install solar chargers for their EV’s at their homes. I believe this will offset electrical use.
My friend in the East Bay Area was net-zero on residential electric use until he traded his Prius for a Prius Prime (PHEV). He had to increase his solar capacity significantly to cover vehicle charging. A full EV would increase the requirement further, and a second EV simply would not work (their other vehicle is ICE).

I don't think most homes in most climates have enough suitable roof square footage to be net-zero if 100% of personal transportation is electrified, at least not with current panel technology.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:30 AM   #11

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I have done a lot of off roading over the years while hunting or fishing......we always took extra gas with us and used it several times......electiric trucks would sure limit any ability to get really off road.......a few miles....maybe....to the good spots.....don't think so. For now....these electric trucks are for the city boys who only wear their cowboy hats on weekends and still shower every day while camping.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2020 19' Escape (was 05 16' Scamp) /2019 Ford Ranger/2017 Dodge Durango
Georgia
Registry
I suspect that using electric vehicles for towing might be more practical in the future, but today the range is too short, and availablilty of charging stations, and recharge times, are not supportive.
In many areas of the country, there is just enough capacity to run peoples heating and air conditioning, if 25% of people get electric vehicles and need to plug them in every night, the grid might not support it and the infrastructure will need serious beefing up.
Camping at the National Park campgrounds where many have no hookups could be interesting, as you won't be able to recharge your tow vehicle.
At least now, whenever there are power failures, there is limited capacity available through the use of gas powered generators, but what do you do with electric vehicles when the power is out for several days, or when the interstate you are stuck on is closed for a day or two due to a winter storm and you need to occasionally run your car for heat?
I would welcome an electric vehicle for daily local driving, but would not want to depend on it for long range driving or towing.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:10 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
To the extent that I acknowledge our current ICE usage to be unsustainable, I'm a fan of EVs and especially hybrids. In the near future we'll surely see more EV trucks used commercially than for long distance RVing. That said, some RVers just tow to a nearby lake and a range of a few hundred miles would be adequate. I doubt any of the EV trucks under development now are being marketed as suitable for cross country RVing but there sure is lots of talk about them on RV forums.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Camping last September, the Airstream dealer in Ontario was towing a mid-size Airstream with a Tesla. There was no air-conditioner so it was more streamlined . I never did find out how far he could get on one charge. The campground was 175 km from his home base. And no mountains, pretty flat.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #15

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I believe he said he made two recharging stops for that trip.
And it was a 30' Airstream, the longest except for one model of Classic at 33'.

Walt
Old 01-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
If they can get the battery tech to the point where they can fully recharge in 10 minutes or less, then I will be very interested. But not until then.

Having said that, the Rivian looks interesting. I watched a series of videos about them doing the trans-america trail.
I'm averaging 12 min/Supercharge on my road trips (Tesla Model 3). Well, not really, because we go potty and we eat a meal and we stretch our legs...you know...stupid human tricks...

Having said that, the 12 min is real. The car always overstates the time necessary for refueling, sometimes hilariously over...but we try not to be in a hurry, and we plan accordingly. Tesla's newest Superchargers (V3) peak @ 250 kW, which has a profound impact on charging time. Not well known is Tesla's "diving down into the details" about charging and road trips. If the car knows that its next stop is a Supercharger, it will precondition the battery along the route to maximize charging rate. This.Just.Works.

With regards to Rivian, hat tip to them for going along on Long Way Up. Wish they would have spent more time on the tech, especially the trucks, nonetheless, positive press for EVs!
sTeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:54 AM   #17

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Thank you JerryBob! Weíve not only lived 43 years in Alaska but we travel with trucks or SUVs hundreds of miles daily if on a road trip(heading to Lower 48 is best example for 48ers to understand). Extra gas, vehicle tools, extra food, water, camping(some times that turns into survival gear if the scat hits the fan).
I would no way buy an electric vehicle just based on distances we sometimes pull off in a 24 hour period, but what happens to the batteries at -20 to -40(sometimes colder) when a person doesnít have a garage? Even plugged in itís got to be tough on lithium battery life.
We have a local guy here trying to sell well made German electric outboards, main power as well as a trolling model. My opinion on this is positive if I were using on a reasonable sized inland lake but no way will I use on in the salt. With gasoline or diesel you can take extra fuel but with e- what fo you do?
Ya, call me an old fart 💨 that doesnít want to change with the times but there has got to be a better solution. E battery vehicles are a big big environmental problem from start to dead ☠️. Then there is the forced labor in some cases of laborers to harvest these trace metals from the ground.
No thanks to electric vehicles. Hydrogen cell needs to have money thrown at its development thatís one of the viable answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I have done a lot of off roading over the years while hunting or fishing......we always took extra gas with us and used it several times......electiric trucks would sure limit any ability to get really off road.......a few miles....maybe....to the good spots.....don't think so. For now....these electric trucks are for the city boys who only wear their cowboy hats on weekends and still shower every day while camping.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp replaced with Hallmark truck camper
Hah, well, given all the interest in electric trucks the tech for hauling and towing loads will come sooner than later. As usual the early adopters will pave the way while those in the cheap seats will list all the ways it can't work. Meanwhile both are overlooking the fundamental problems of too much driving and too many vehicles that EVs will not solve.
Big Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:28 PM   #19

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Parkliner
Ohio
The E Stream concept from Airstream is interesting. Pulling with an electric vehicle could be possible. However, no one would leave their trailer for the great outdoors.

https://www.airstream.com/estream/
DavenBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:56 AM   #20

Name: Shredne
Trailer: In the market
Connecticut
Registry
Lightbulb EV TV are the way of the Future!

Electric vehicles offer great features as towing vehicles. Smooth power all through the speed range, and great torque from zero rpms - maximum rpms. No motor noise. Very little maintenance required. I could go on but you get the picture!
A 300 range is pretty good. There are ways to route your trip so that you can stop at charging stations along your way. My guess is that all national parks will have charging stations, soon.
I'm holding out for an electric van, but the trucks are tempting, too.
Shredne is offline   Reply With Quote