Road Atlas " which one" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #1

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
Road Atlas " which one"

for traveling the US and Canada. There is so many Road Atlas

Thanks for the help
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The best and by that I mean the most detailed atlases for all of the US and Canada were produced by American map using MapQuest maps. These included terrain, many secondary roads, points of interest, and state and federal campgrounds. Unfortunately they are out of business. After buying a current Rand McNally and a Michelin atlas and comparing to my old American map atlas i concluded neither is as good. I ended up going to Alibris, an online book store, and found a 2010 American map which is what I use now. With most folks using GPS, atlases are not big sellers. Be aware that the large scale (print) atlases have more pages per state but achieve this by dumping Canada (sorry Canadians). If you want lots of detail Delorme has an atlas for each state. No Canada here either I haven't looked recently so if you find something good I'd love to hear of it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
My favorite is the Rand McNally. The 2016 one has a photo of Zion NP on it. I like it the most because it shows a lot of road detail and also marks out random places to camp. We also have state by state Topographic maps by DeLorme. These are REALLY detailed and we'll take along whichever ones match the states we are travelling through. As much as I like to GoogleMap things, I'm a paper map girl at heart!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Google the tourism department of any state or province and then request maps and brochures. You will have plenty of paper when you are done and it keeps the postal workers employed.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I got started using the Benchmark maps and have continued with them. They are very similar to the DeLorme and about the same price. Benchmark only has the Western States. If I had started with DeLorme, I would probably continue with them. When you are buying either DeLorme or Benchmark, check the print date. Once I found a really good deal on a Benchmark but reading the fine print, it was a 5 year old edition.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Check out the Rand McNally 2016 Deluxe Motor Carriers Road Atlas for US, Canada & Mexico with Spiral Binding & Laminated Pages 2016., found on Amazon. I really like the laminated pages.

I sometimes use the DeLorme Gazeteer series of maps, for select states.

Of course, I also use the IPhone with a number of navigation apps: Allstays, Mapquest, Google maps, etc.

Also the Garmin RV760 and the Garmin 64st, both of which I find very frustrating and difficult to use. I have these because we like to go where there is no cell pone service.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
BaseCamp Garmin.

Is there anyone who uses Bascamp Garmin?

A program to download in our computer.

Your Garmin, when connected via USB to your computer, it shows you everything you have in your Garmin.
You can create routes from your computer and transfer them to your Garmin ...
I'm only my debut with this software, which gives me a little headaches but sounds very interesting to use when I have tamed, one day.

If I can have the appreciation of this program by some other users, it would be appreciated before my head explodes.

BaseCampâ„¢ | Garmin | Canada
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Gilles: I use Basecamp, Mapsource and GSAK with any of my several Garmin (GPS) devices. but, my use is highly oriented to my Geocaching hobby. Yes, these mapping programs are tricky to learn; but the detailed (within a metre or so) up-to-date mapping is always appreciated, especially for 'off-road' geocaches (usually: in the bush, under a rock, or up a tree). Of course, roads, trails and highways, are included.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Did you look at this?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...las-62440.html
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I usually carry individual state maps from my local AAA, I also keep a copy of the Rand McNally atlas available at Walmart in the tow vehicle, the trailer, and on a bookshelf at home. I prefer the AAA maps for their better detail, however my GPS is far more detailed (it even includes the BLM roads here at Quartzsite).

As to Garmin's Basecamp, I hate it. If I use it to layout a trip on secondary roads, it usually reroutes them when uploaded to the GPS. I've tried matching settings is both, had long conversations with Garmin support, and have pretty much given up on the application.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
We use the LARGE print Rand-McNally to get general directions across the country and figure out the shortest or most interesting route then switch to the Delorme state gazateers for the finer details, campgrounds, trails, etc. Both come in handy and each have their purpose.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Road Atlas " which one"

Along with a Good Sam atlas that shows RV friendly routes and campgrounds, we have an
older Rand McNally atlas that was purchased at WalMart. In the back of that atlas is a listing
of all of the WalMart stores in various towns.
If you were needing a quick (and free) overnight stay, knowing where the closest WalMart
is could maybe be handy? Just a thought .....

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I would suggest you join AAA and get their RV membership.
As an AAA member you can have all the free maps you will ever need.
They publish maps of individual states and also maps of regions (northeast with Canada included, southeast, middle Atlantic states...etc...etc.).
With the AAA RV membership you also get all the free campground guides you will ever need (updated every year) and towing in the event your RV or trailer breaks down. All a must for the traveling camper...good to know that help is just a phone call away!

All that plus a good GPS and you will be a Happy Camper !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
In B.C. and Alberta I use the Backroad Map Books. They have good topography and show lots of the side roads in detail. After using one for several months last summer we only found one error. Very detailed with listings for all the free campsites that are called B.C. Recreation Sites in B.C. as well as the usual Provincial campgrounds. The Mussio brothers who publish these books are slowly working on books for all the Provinces.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you find an atlas that has shrugged, buy it!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If you find an atlas that has shrugged, buy it!
Who is John Galt anyway, and what kind of trailer does he pull?
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #17

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Gilles: I use Basecamp, Mapsource and GSAK with any of my several Garmin (GPS) devices. but, my use is highly oriented to my Geocaching hobby. Yes, these mapping programs are tricky to learn; but the detailed (within a metre or so) up-to-date mapping is always appreciated, especially for 'off-road' geocaches (usually: in the bush, under a rock, or up a tree). Of course, roads, trails and highways, are included.
Tank You Dave.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have several Atlas's as well as maps from AAA.

At an RV show last fall I picked up the National Geographic Road Atlas - Adventure Edition published 2013 for general trip planning.

Its large and the layout is easy to follow - making it easy to use/read. Spiral binding and heavy plastic cover & the pages that seem a bit heavier than other atlas's I have owned making it a bit more durable. I hope.

The front portion of the Atlas gives lots of info on 24 of the more popular National parks across NA as well as historical sites and 100 top recreation areas as picked by the editors of NG Adventure.

It will replace another large format atlas I keep in the trailer (pretty sure its a McNally) that has gotten a bit beat up from use and out of date.

Will still carry my GPS and more detailed maps from AAA if I know in advance where I might be heading.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #19

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
thanks everyone
I when to Walmart and got the Rand McNally 2016 one has a photo of Zion NP on it.
$6.97.
It is a start.
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote

« Weather | I'm Back »