Road trip from Wisconsin to Seattle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Several of mine are like that. I haven't had them in the camper, by they hate driving. I get something from the vet called "ace", it keeps the kitties happy, and I don't get stressed out.

They rarely travel, they usually stay at home. They're good for two weeks on their own.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #22

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Hey Dave and Paula, sounds familiar :kindle fire, no smart phone, large plastic storage bins, Apple net book and we already have a bathroom TG. Sure do appreciate all the input from our FG friends we're writing them down...oh I'm sorry, we're loading them on that computer thingy. Thanks Pete
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #23

Wisconsin
We are leaving Sat., 2 days, leaving cat home (yeah-boo) and at the last minute found out we need ball joints in truck ugh...We have compiled all the info youse guys have given and are now trying to check in to getting some kind of wi-fi you can use on the road with I-pad (we don't have fancy phones and "onstar" on our other vehicle evidently won't transfer, shucks!! If we can get that maybe I'll be able to keep up with this site while traveling.

Thanks Pete & Donna
Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We don't have fancy phones either.

When we bought our iPad we had the choice of getting one that was AT&T configured or Verizon configured. We got the Verizon. At that time we were able to purchase month by month 1 GB for $20 a month. When the one GB is used up we have to buy another GB. If there is leftover at the end of the month it does not carryover to the new month. We can not stop and start this plan. each month another $20.

This has worked very well for us. We use Allstays, Campwhere, and I especially like the Intellicast (free) app. The Intellicast looks better on the iPad than it does on our other laptops. We can follow tornado cells, see the way the wind is blowing, etc. Very nice options on the map layers.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Drive almost to Anacortes, turn south to Whidbey Island, and take said ferry from Coupeville (Keystone) You'll need a reservation (actually a plus) for the ferry. If you come across 20 just follow it to the ferry (and you'll miss the infamous collapsed bridge, but probably not the traffic from it.)
Actually went around the infamous collapsible bridge last week-end and the main detour wasn't all that bad going down on Friday afternoon. Did the 536 to the 20 on the way back and it was even better - pretty clear of traffic, at worst it may have added no more than about 15 min etc travel time to my trip, but was a much nicer drive than the usual I5 route.

I agree with others taking the Port Townsend to Keystone/Coupeville ferry (either way) is a great way to go. Much better scenery & avoid the I5 traffic. A couple of great state parks not to far from the Port Townsend ferry you can stay at. Its gotten even better now that you can make reservations at the Fort Casey Campground which is located right beside the Keystone/Coupeville ferry terminal. It use to be all first come first serve. Spent the May long week-end at Fort Casey camping spot right on the water and sat and watching the ferries come and go. Alternatively Deception Pass State park is a nice spot to stay on that side as well & not to far from the Keystone Ferry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #26

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I keep meaning to go up there and camp for a few days just to enjoy the ferries coming and going- maybe soon. It's close to home so not a good overnight stop!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #27

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
I'd recommend Feliway spray(cat pheromone spray) for her in the car, and I'd start with her in a crate covered with a blanket. If she's not happy about the crate, you might have to first acclimate her to that. For cats that hate cars (2 of my 4) crates covered with blankets help a LOT for trips to the vet, Feliway helps even more.

Then take her to the car and give her canned tuna (or whatever puts her over the top treat-wise) over and over for a day but don't go anywhere. Next day, do the same thing, but turn the truck on, still not going anywhere, just let the engine idle with her for a few seconds at first, then more and more each time. Third day, do the same thing but drive around the block. Then just keep going on multiple short trips with her on the other days leading up to your trip.

It's not easy but if you take it slow and use the highest value treats you can think of (mayonnaise, cheese, anything in tiny amounts that she's crazy over) and don't overwhelm her with it all at once it will probably be fine. But not bringing her is fine too, and start prepping her now for the next trip! Our 4 stay at home, it's a lot easier
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
One of the things to know, if you choose to take your cat in the future, is that you simply might have to put up with howling for several hundred miles. I posted a thread somewhere here before we tried taking Ellie to FL last year. Most people who responded that when they took their cats howling occurred during the first couple hundred miles and then it was quiet. It was and is that with Ellie too. She howls for a couple hours and then seems fine looking out the window. We just had her with us for a week and a half when we made our annual trip to volunteer on Pine Ridge Reservation. On the way home, she kept crawling into her carrier like it was comforting to her. She loves the camper itself, as her humans are in a small space with her for several hours a day.

Just a word of caution - if you ever plan to do a hotel room for a night or two, we found Days Inns that advertise "pet-friendly" do not always mean cats.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #29

Wisconsin
Well we are now at glacier enjoying a great vacation, as previously stated w/o cat. First time at a Koa, expensive but nice. We stayed at a hookup-less site in so.montana and found the 12volt system wasn't working! It had been working up til then don't think dead batt, checked fuses. Oh we'll...any suggestions? Will be here another day then trooping on to Seattle. Pete
Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #30

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
not working at all or just not charging?
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #31

Wisconsin
We used it one night, lights only, we were not hooked up to any services, next morning no power from battery . Drove all day ,lights still dead but we did have power site. Next night, again no power at all and at a no hookup site we did have gas working., just no electric. This is from mrs yyyyyguy
Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #32

Wisconsin
We have lights when hooked to power site
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #33

New Brunswick
this likely won't help but check under road side dinette to make sure plug from shore power is plugged into back of converter. In our Scamp the converter is two parts.. one where the shore power enters the trailer to unit which then had a plug running to the distribution panel where the fuses and breakers are. it's a three prong plug that plugs into the back
Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #34

New Brunswick
this is what you're looking for

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130613_165927.png
Views:	16
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	60582
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #35

New Brunswick
I'm curious... did you solve your 12V problem?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #36

Wisconsin
Think problem is I ran fridg all night and killed batt. Looked at converter, isn't,it screwed down, just loose. Anyway I think batt. Needs a good charge, will the camper batt. Charge from dead just from car?? Will try to put on a charger tonight and check in am. Let u know the results.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #37

New Brunswick
it might.. it might not. you won't be the first or last to do that
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #38

Wisconsin
Found prob...forgot about the fuse in the pos. terminal lead! Changed it and it is a go. Thanks for help. Now back to vaa caa. Today is a trip to mt. Rainier and a brunch. Glad I won't have to worry about the electric. Pete