Roof bike rack? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
Roof bike rack?

We're planning the details of our 2 week trip in Aug/Sept. Buy this, get that, mod this, mod that. The wife insists we take our hybrid bikes with us.

So, in this, I'm planning on getting a bed cap for my 2002 F150 supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed for extra storage.

With this in mind, should I opt for a roof-top bike rack, or mount them inside the cap? I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both.
How have you transported your bikes?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you have the room, mount them inside the cap. It keeps them out of the weather and more secure.

I remove the front wheel and have a simple fork clamp on a piece of OSB.

I collect, buy, restore and sell vintage bicycles. I typically come home with about ten bikes, six bikes as a minimum, Last trip I found too many do I donated three before returning home
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a cap on our Ram pickup that is as high as the cab. We have two bikes that have the quick release front wheel. I use two of the brackets or hold downs that the bike front fork sets on and clamps in place. They are bolted to a piece of plywood that is 32" X 42" which is just a piece that I had on hand. The hold down brackets are mounted so the bikes stand up close to each other, front fork towards the truck tailgate. So I back the bikes in and off to the side and clamp them down. I use those foam floor mats that are 2 X 2 feet and go together like puzzle pieces as padding between the bikes or the wheels. Basically the same as Bill does. Keeps the bikes inside and out of the weather.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote