Roof Leak?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Roof Leak??

Hi All. I recently had a problem with a 'leak' in my truck camper. It is a 2003 8.5' SunLite Eagle WT SP pop-up type. It has a toilet & small holding tank but no internal shower or water heater (has a cold water outside shower). Recently while sitting on the truck in closed position (top down) we had some very heavy rain. I checked the camper one day while in there & discovered a puddle of water on top of the left rear cabinet/closet, between the sink & the cooktop, & between the refrigerator & the lift mechanism, all on left side of the camper. No apparent damage to the formica cabinet tops. As soon as the weather cleared I raised to top to see if I could find where the leak was located. I couldn't find any leak but there was water all along the fiberglass screen, the transparent vinyl window, and one of the hollow galvanized lifting rods which are part of the 'rack & pinion' lift mechanism. I cannot find any leak anywhere in or on the roof including the roof vent & in or around the AC. When I raised the roof water ran all along the screen & the vinyl window, and along the galvanized lift rod. It appeared the water had gotten under the roof & had leaked through the zipper which closes the vinyl window. The roof appeared to be closed tightly and apparently had a waterproof seal. The roof unit has a 'suspended' cabinet on each side of the camper that 'hangs' down when the roof is in the up/down position. Only thing I can figure is that I didn't make sure the seal at the bottom of the roof 'lined up' correctly & the last time I lowered the roof & 'tucked' in the vinyl & the canvas that comprise the upper part of the wall. Perhaps I allowed a bit of the canvas or vinyl to intrude between the seal & the upper wall of the camper. I've used pop-up type campers for many years & never had this happen before. Next time I'll make sure the seal is making good contact all the way around. Anyone here with one of these type campers ever had an experience such as this? Any & all suggestions appreciated and will be applied, as this is a new one on me... The previous owner (& a friend) had modified the 'rack & pinion' lift system when they added the AC (the lift system had stripped the aluminum 'racks' & they replaced it with 3/4" 'square top all thread', threaded shackles & an outside access to the 'all thread', which is on the right side of the camper just in front of the dinette window. It is a very professional installation, just slow when turning the all thread without a cordless drill. The mechanical Reico-Titan corner jacks are also slow operating without the drill. Perhaps I did not insure that the drill 'pulled' to roof down securely?
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #2

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
This post was in the wrong forum. I tried to delete but no luck...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote