Roof leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #1

Name: allen
Trailer: 2005 Casita SD 17'
Arkansas
Roof leaks

We haven't bought a trailer, yet, but I like the idea of having a fiberglass roof versus the vinyl roofing you see on conventional trailers.
I'm assuming, and correct me if I am wrong, that a trailer such as a Casita is not very susceptible to roof leaks. Are there any problems with fiberglass trailer roofs other than penetrations around roof mounted equipment such as fans, vents, skylights, antennae, etc? Again I am assuming that these generally seal off pretty well. If I buy a 7-8 year-old Casita, should the roof be a problem?
This is probably my biggest concern buying used.
I can buy used for $11k-$14k, or new for around $20k.
Is the extra $6k-$10k savings worth not having a warranty, that lovely new trailer smell, and having to most likely deal with a small repair or two?
Money is not a problem, but we could do a lot of traveling on $6k worth of gasoline.
allen jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Allen, the major point going for all molded towables is the lack of seams. You are correct, there's nothing to leak except the intrusion points such as windows, vents and rivets... rivets being far less of a problem. But, as with all towables, these wonderful trailers do require maintenance and deferring maintenance can cause other major problems.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Allen,
In a word, NO, to your concern with leaks as compared to conventional models. No rubber or EPDM roofs that can crack or tear and leak, no roof seams that need Eternabond ( you need some, I have a 50 roll from before fg days) anyway your leaks can occur like in conventional models around windows and vents and they are easily fixed. Just check the floor in the used model for any evidence of water that may have come in around a window and if it is solid and the appliances work, you should be good to go.

Tags
leaks