Roto molded coolers - thoughts - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #61

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I love park and roadside attraction stickers! Here are some cool vintage style Store | Ranger Doug's Enterprises
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #62

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
ZachO

Good idea about filling in those "cup holders." Did you seal the spray foam with anything?

BEST
Kai
Old 03-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #63

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I did not, but I should have. The cooler lived on the roof rack of my old camper when I wasn't using it, out in the sun, rain and wind for most of a couple summers, and the foam started deteriorating pretty fast. I think a cooler that didn't sit out in the elements as much would be fine, but it would still be a good idea to seal them over with something.

The next step would be to actually test two of the same coolers, one with the cupholders insulated, one with them left alone...and see if it actually makes any noticeable difference.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #64

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
...it would still be a good idea to seal them over with something. ...
Stickers!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #65

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #66

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I did not, but I should have. The cooler lived on the roof rack of my old camper when I wasn't using it, out in the sun, rain and wind for most of a couple summers, and the foam started deteriorating pretty fast. I think a cooler that didn't sit out in the elements as much would be fine, but it would still be a good idea to seal them over with something.

The next step would be to actually test two of the same coolers, one with the cupholders insulated, one with them left alone...and see if it actually makes any noticeable difference.
Sports fishing boats in the Keys all seem to have Yetis. It's hard to imagine more sun exposure than that.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #67

Registry
Stickers 8) XD There we go, perfect.

Our Coleman Xtreme doesn't have those cupholders in the top...but it has two recessed round areas inside the lid for two, 2-liter pop bottles to stand upright. We actually have used those, but never the cupholders in the lids of our other cheap coolers, which we didn't keep as they didn't keep.

The Xtreme doesn't actually say 7-day; I just looked. I remembered it was 7-day but don't see any 7-day anythings here or online, so I'm thinking it might well have been 5 day, which still would have been 2-3 days better than anything we'd had up to that point. Paul reminded me we DID have to buy ice 4 days into our 6-day jaunt last summer.

We use our cooler for all our cold food, which we put inside either fridge-cold or frozen, if it's freezable. It keeps pretty well. We usually get into it three times a day, each meal. Not otherwise. We drink air-temp water until we take out our 2-liters of frozen water toward the end of the trip. Then we enjoy the cold, usually when the food is nearly gone. We try to eat our cold foods first, then fall back on either food we just bought locally, or canned or dried foods.

BEST
Kai

Old 03-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #68

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Stickers!
No, no no. Gotta use fiberglass!

After reading all these comments, in WalMart today I had to stroll down the aisle with the coolers. The Xtreme did indeed say 5 days. And I looked at the Ozark Trail; the wire basket someone mentioned here sounded especially useful, but seeing it in person the basket is plainly not so useful... it's a lot smaller than I'd imagined.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #69

Registry
Mike Magee thanks for letting us know. Five days. Makes sense.

I wondered if those cupholders could be filled with fiberglass! Epoxy resin would stick...but the plastic on the cheap coolers might melt! I'd still want to put something over the patches. Marine primer and marine enamel...or stickers!

Wire basket not a bad idea! We took our cooler to a 2nd hand store and found a number of little plastic bins designed with open spaces all over (can't think of what they're called, but they're common) and mixed and matched until we had a nice number for organizing.

It worked so well camping we got more for our home freezer, which makes it a lot more useful than the jumble we used to have.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #70

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
"Stickers" are regional. I've never considered "vinyl" decals to be "stickers." To me (on the WET coast) "stickers" were colored printed paper on an adhesive label. I gave those to my daughter for her sticker book, when she was potty training
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #71

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We old geezers in the South still call them "bumper stickers" though they are now seen mostly on windows.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #72

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Putting a "YETI" sticker on your truck seems to me to invite theft!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #73

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Putting a "YETI" sticker on your truck seems to me to invite theft!
That I said a good point ! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #74

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Every new Bigfoot trailer should come with a free Yeti cooler.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #75

Name: Mo
Trailer: Still looking
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I'll confess to only recently learning that Yeti is a brand of high priced cooler. I've been seeing "Yeti" stickers on the Bubba trucks and wondered why there were so many Bigfoot enthusiasts around here. It's astonishing that folks would feel compelled to advertise the brand of ice cooler they prefer.
Posting from the home of Yeti in Austin, TX -- the Yeti is a big deal bubba and regular guy status item that works very well for hunters, fisherman and a day on the lake. It gets brain-fry hot --100 degrees or over--here in the summer for months on end, so for a lot of outdoors people, having a really good cooler is worth the investment. I've seen them for sale in BBQ joints and hardware stores. It's a successful business model.

I don't care for the rubber clips to close the lid; they would be a little difficult on my arthritic hands. I much prefer a metal clip.

I'm sure there are cheaper imitations that likely function nearly as well. One can line the interior of a regular cooler with Reflectix and get a lot of bang for your buck.
June Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #76

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
Posting from the home of Yeti in Austin, TX -- the Yeti is a big deal bubba and regular guy status item that works very well for hunters, fisherman and a day on the lake. It gets brain-fry hot --100 degrees or over--here in the summer for months on end, so for a lot of outdoors people, having a really good cooler is worth the investment. I've seen them for sale in BBQ joints and hardware stores. It's a successful business model.

I don't care for the rubber clips to close the lid; they would be a little difficult on my arthritic hands. I much prefer a metal clip.

I'm sure there are cheaper imitations that likely function nearly as well. One can line the interior of a regular cooler with Reflectix and get a lot of bang for your buck.
I took my old , beat up 100 gt Igloo cooler and lined the inside walls / bottom / lid with 1 1/2 " blue Dow styrofoam . Added short legs on the bottom of the cooler .Ice lasts about 4 to 5 days in summer . I use a small ratchet strap to keep the lid tightly closed . Not very attractive , but highly functional and extremely low cost.

We have used the cooler on fishing trips to Canada . We fill the cooler with frozen food and add 20 lbs of block dry ice .
Stuff in the cooler is still frozen solid 6 days later.
The closest town to where we fish is 70 miles away and they don't always have ice for sale.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #77

Registry
We are running an ice-holding challenge right now in our Coleman Xtreme (5-day)cooler with a 6-pack of pop in little bottles (OK, fine, a 5-pack, we drank one) and 20ounds of cubed ice. This is day 1 at 2:30 pm. It would be DST today! So we'll open it up at 3 pm today and 3:30 pm tomorrow to try to even out the time. NOT that it should really make much diff.

The cooler is under our kitchen table, about 4 feet from the heat vent (forced air). Temp is about what it would be inside Peanut when we're in residence.

We realized we never get 20 pounds of ice in there when it's full of food! Paul said he once got two, 7-pound bags in there, but my memory is that half of one of them went into our home freezer for later because it wouldn't fit. To be fair, we had two, 2-liter pop bottles full of frozen water (some call it ice) in the bottom for "block" ice and as it melted, to drink.

Updates to come.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #78

Registry
Ice Chest Challenge: Coleman Xtreme 5-Day

Day 1: no discernible change.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #79

Registry
Day 2,(2 hours early): All ice looks unchanged. Pop is still on top of ice.

Kai
Old 03-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #80

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Roto molded coolers -thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Day 2,(2 hours early): All ice looks unchanged. Pop is still on top of ice.

Kai
picture of our Penguin cooler . Ice lasts 10 days in the heat of 100 . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010002 2.jpg  
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote