Round vs Squarish Eggs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Round vs Squarish Eggs

With e'body watching their MPG's, I was wondering if anybody has towed both a round egg and a squarer (is that a word??) egg and can report on the MPG differences? In particular I was thinking of the Scamp/Bolers compared to the Trilliums/Escapes. I'd think the squarer FG rigs would fare worse. So is there a difference between the 2 shapes and gas mileage? And if not, why not?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've towed a 15.5' Sunline that weighed about the same as our Scamp 16 and less than a Casita 16 we towed. We used the same tow vehicle for all three rigs. With the lighter, squarish Sunline we got 20 mpg; with the other tow we got 23 mpg.

The Sunline was a little wider at 7' compared to the others 6'8".

I would say based upon the mileage the roundies put less of a load on the tow vehicle.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Round like a ball, square like a brick. Now you can hit the easy button.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #4

So if you want to maximize gas mileage go for the Scamps and their relatives.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
With e'body watching their MPG's, I was wondering if anybody has towed both a round egg and a squarer (is that a word??) egg and can report on the MPG differences? In particular I was thinking of the Scamp/Bolers compared to the Trilliums/Escapes. I'd think the squarer FG rigs would fare worse. So is there a difference between the 2 shapes and gas mileage? And if not, why not?
I have owned and towed many shapes and sizes of eggs and there certainly is a difference in towability and mileage among them but it won't be you who makes the enemies when I tell you my results!!

Comparing 13's strictly on towing and mileage, I have found your assumption to be correct.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #6

LOL, thank you Floyd. I like how you put that,
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have had each also from Trills,Fiberstream,Scamp & Casita.

All I know for sure is I have had more fun per gallon with each trip I take.
The tiny difference in mileage is not something I worry about.

I know the newer the trailer the easier it has pulled for me and that makes for more fun per gallon too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Certainly a few mpg can seem insignificant however we are undergoing almost unbelievable fuel inflation. In a little of two years the cost per gallon has almost tripled and I fear the end is not in sight.

It would be manageable if it was only gasoline, but everything is increasing with the cost of energy. Like many of the posts on this forum indicate, people are simply concerned, particularly as they reach retirement and endeavor to take that long RV trip.

The positive is that RV living of itself is inexpensive.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I am currently towing a 21' Bigfoot after previously having a Scamp 16 and a Casita 17. I am down 5-6 miles per gallon with the Bigfoot. The flat frontal area on the Bigfoot is far less aerodynamic. I can feel it catching wind in conditions that didn't faze the Scamp and Casita. Of course, the Bigfoot is also bigger and heavier, so not really a fair comparison. We love the extra space and 4-season features, but it doesn't pull like a small egg.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
yup...we know there is a bit more drag towing our "squarish" outback...but we simply accept it. we tow with an acura 3.2 tl 6 cyl and average 20-21 mpg. we're content with that.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
We get about 3 less MPG with the Bigfoot versus the Scamp, of course the BF is 130% heavier, but as Dave comments the frontal area is a killer.
We lockout overdrive on the Ford 150 (4 speed auto) when using the BF.
Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Many years ago I took a course in fluid mechanics (air is a fluid in the mind of an engineer). Two things I dimly remember about drag are that shape matters much less than frontal area, and that the shape of the back is as important as the shape of the front. None of these trailers have a tapered tail, so the sterns are creating a lot of drag.

Of course, I tow an Escape.
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stewart View Post
Many years ago I took a course in fluid mechanics (air is a fluid in the mind of an engineer). Two things I dimly remember about drag are that shape matters much less than frontal area, and that the shape of the back is as important as the shape of the front. None of these trailers have a tapered tail, so the sterns are creating a lot of drag.

Of coure, I tow an Escape.
"none of these trailers has" nothing like a good education to trump experience!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
I teach math, not grammar.
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
I am currently towing a 21' Bigfoot after previously having a Scamp 16 and a Casita 17. I am down 5-6 miles per gallon with the Bigfoot. The flat frontal area on the Bigfoot is far less aerodynamic. I can feel it catching wind in conditions that didn't faze the Scamp and Casita. Of course, the Bigfoot is also bigger and heavier, so not really a fair comparison. We love the extra space and 4-season features, but it doesn't pull like a small egg.
I was originally looking at a Casita 17 because of gas milage (plus it's cute), but decided on the Bigfoot because of extra basement storage, and the fact that it would be more comfortable for my husband and dogs.

I try not to think about the additional gas milage.

I did consider a Egg Camper. It is round and wider than the Casita. It is designed and built by an ex-Airplane manufacturer who warrants that maximizing gas milage stood prominently his design decisions.

However, the Egg Camper lacked certain comfort features which were of interest to me (like a larger freezer, storage space & a LP System to accommodate dry camping).

But if you want to go round and have some room to "stretch out" in the cabin, and maximize gas milage, I'd definitely consider an Egg Camper.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Things that need to be moved through the air efficiently are hardly ever "squarish"......jets or planes..cars..a bullet.....anything actually. There are no square birds either... Frontal area matters alot too and its shape. thats why you see the sloping roof style on top of big rig trucks, they're trying to direct that air up and over in a hurry......so streamlining.......over the life of that thing it must save alot, not sure yould be able to claim that kinda savings yanking an egg with a toyota etc but it's there i'm sure.
All that said I think alot of the squarer looking campers are really sharp looking and probably have much better interior usefulness without the rounded ends etc. I'd buy either
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I just had to google the 'have or has' question. It appears that either useage is correct, depending upon whether or not you are speaking in terms of singular or plural in reference to the word 'none'. Website and portion of explanation is below. http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.co...26513/9903.htm
"When the sense is plural (as indicated by a plural noun or pronoun in the following prepositional phrase – "none of [plural entity]"), none is plural; when the sense is singular (as indicated by a singular noun or pronoun in the following prepositional phrase – "none of [singular entity]"), none is singular.
Futhermore, we may have some instances in which either is correct. The American Heritage Dictionary notes: "The choice between a singular or plural verb depends on the desired effect. Both options are acceptable in this sentence: None of the conspirators has (or have) been brought to trial." And that is true because the sense of none may be construed here as either "not one" or "not any."
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I just had to google the 'have or has' question. It appears that either useage is correct, depending upon whether or not you are speaking in terms of singular or plural in reference to the word 'none'. Website and portion of explanation is below. http://www.grammarmudge.cityslide.co...26513/9903.htm
"When the sense is plural (as indicated by a plural noun or pronoun in the following prepositional phrase – "none of [plural entity]"), none is plural; when the sense is singular (as indicated by a singular noun or pronoun in the following prepositional phrase – "none of [singular entity]"), none is singular.
Futhermore, we may have some instances in which either is correct. The American Heritage Dictionary notes: "The choice between a singular or plural verb depends on the desired effect. Both options are acceptable in this sentence: None of the conspirators has (or have) been brought to trial." And that is true because the sense of none may be construed here as either "not one" or "not any."

Thanks for clarifying that. Good grammar is important to me, but this is one that I have puzzled over. Nice to know that I'm safe either way.

At this stage in my life, this much I am sure of: I am not really sure of much.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Round vs squarish may have less of a factor on MPG than all the things that some people rivet, bolt or glue on the outside. Awnings, air conditioners, solar panels, and large roof vent covers can really disrupt smooth airflow over the surface of a trailer. I would bet that a squarish egg without any of that stuff would have less drag than a round egg with all the exterior flow disrupters. The best would be round without the exterior stuff. Even things like protruding door handles, porch lights, vent panels and access hatches can have an effect although smaller than the big stuff.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Round vs squarish may have less of a factor on MPG than all the things that some people rivet, bolt or glue on the outside. Awnings, air conditioners, solar panels, and large roof vent covers can really disrupt smooth airflow over the surface of a trailer. I would bet that a squarish egg without any of that stuff would have less drag than a round egg with all the exterior flow disrupters. The best would be round without the exterior stuff. Even things like protruding door handles, porch lights, vent panels and access hatches can have an effect although smaller than the big stuff.
Even more so above 160MPH!