Route Around Montgomery, AL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Route Around Montgomery, AL

Ok, trying to avoid going through Montgomery AL on US 82. It's a pretty seedy part of town from what I remember and I'd like to avoid it traveling alone with the girls and a trailer. Problem is, I cant seem to find a good alternative. Here is the map I'm looking at so maybe ya'll have a better idea than what I've found. http://www.milebymile.com/maps/Alabama_road_map.pdf

I'll be headed Westbound on US 82 from GA at Eufaula. The only real option I see is to follow US 82 to US 29 where I'd head North. US 29 turns into SR 14. SR 14 turns West and meets back up with US 82 where I continue on my journey.

I think this is the most direct route around Montgomery. Any opinions, other options?

Questions #2: I've gone to each state's DOT website for road closures due to flooding. Was there a more direct/easier method? I was hoping for a US Map or something showing all the closed highways but I didnt find any such thing. The States DOTs were sometimes confusing and lacking info. Is there a better way?

Thanks! I've learned so much about map reading and navigation from ya'll. No more interstates and following just the GPS for me! I'm excited about making my own route and seeing some sites. It's freeing when you get brave enough to venture off the Interstates, lol. Any helpful hints and tidbits are welcome. We're hoping this trip is more interesting then the trip to WY last summer where we stuck only to Interstates.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Lock the doors and close your eyes. Really Montgomery Al, is not the most scary town you'll ever drive through.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

LOL, thanks Greg. But how is the congestion and traffic with the interstate converging there? Trying to avoid all major cities with the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Lock the doors and close your eyes. Really Montgomery Al, is not the most scary town you'll ever drive through.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Oh I don't know, I have not been through Montgomery in a few years. I was just saying it's not as bad as you think it is. Have no fear your tow vehicle will drive faster than they can run.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #5

LOL, true till you come to a Red Light.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I've had good luck planning my routes using Google maps. You can use the directions to plot the fastest route, and then once that map generates, you can drag and drop parts of the route to avoid different roads or towns, and it will show you the new distance and estimated time for comparison.
I've always driven through Montgomery using the interstates and most of the construction is complete and I haven't had any problems breezing through there this past year (as long as you avoid "rush hour".

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We go through Montgomery two or three times a year but we always go North-South and just stick to the interstates; never been a problem. I prefer the interstates because I hate stop & go traffic.

One of the best investments I bought recently was a Tom-Tom with lifetime map and TRAFFIC updated. I didn't know what the traffic updates were all about, but it's a great feature. It will tell you if there are any problems/delays on your planned route and suggest other routes if they are faster. It is constantly updating and will give a continuous "delay" time for the route you're on. I don't know how it gets the up-to-the-minute information about delays, but it has been a great feature that I won't be without in the future. BTW, I see lifetime map and traffic GPS units are becoming more and more popular to the point where they cost very little extra; I think I paid $129 for my unit with this feature - not much more than a "regular" unit without it.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #8

I too have the "Traffic Update" feature on my Garmin Nuvi. What I cant figure out is it will show traffic ahead and or a delay yet we never come across anything. I do plan on purchasing the Lifetime Map Update before I leave. I figure $49 for a one time deal or $89 for lifetime is a no brainer.
I'd be coming into Montgomery on US 82 so I may try it going and if it's a bear find another route for returning. I just hate it when you have to keep switching lanes in a busy major city just to stay on the road you're already on!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I am pretty sure people survive being in that part of montgomery, in cars, all the time - rock on through there - you'll be fine! It's just people - they don't all want to hurt you.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote