rPad2 Happenings - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Thumbs up

Greg took the original UHaul rental manuel driving directions literally and went about 45 mph...I counted leaves on trees and waved at everyone that passed us mouthing "d#%n camper."

lol good thing i wasn't traveling with you,,,thats about how i drive all the time.

hang in there greg,,,we are on our time off and we don't have to hurry if we don't want to.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Raz: the Scamp rear window fit by widening the Uhaul opening by about 1/2" on each side and installing the clamp ring backwards. Our rear window was a real disaster, all gobbed up with silicone and non opening so this new window is a huge improvement. The original side window opening in the uhaul is too big for the Scamp window, so I got a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate and made an adapter, used fiberglass resin and some stainless steel 10-24 screws to attach it to the trailer and had the correct size opening cut into it for the new window. Made a similar filler piece for the inside out of 1/4" plywood, and again installed the clamp ring backwards. One down side of this installation is that now the window unit protrudes into the trailer a couple inches rather than flush like the original. I had to make up a new curtain rod too. Haven't water tested it yet. Window is nice but I don't think we gained any on the size of the part that opens compared to the original slider window. Still undecided if I'll replace the window on the other side or rebuild the original. I just noticed that you're in Vermont, may I ask what part, ever go to the Bennington car show in mid September? And yes the Scamp windows are Hehr. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I am trying to visualize putting the clamping ring on backwards. It turns out that the side glass on that series remains the same size so as you go to a bigger window the percentage that opens increases. Scamp uses the small ones. Our front window is huge. I don't know why you can't buy those windows cheaper. Clearly Scamp is making money selling them to you so why they are so expensive elsewhere is a mystery.

We are in central VT just south of the Capitol. Not a car guy but we have been through Bennington a number of times. Since its all secondary roads heading west we often stay in Woodford State park as a jumping off point. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The clamp ring; I think it is made for a thick wall whereas the largest area of the ring would set against the inner wall, the inner edge of it against the wall. Then the smaller diameter goes toward the window, the screws through that part into the window frame. Kind of hard to describe without a picture. I installed mine with the smallest part of the ring toward the inside of the trailer, the outside of the larger diameter against the wall. So I believe that is backwards from normal, but if so, Scamps must have about a 3 or 4 inch thick wall at the window area. I didn't get inside the Scamp that I measured the windows on so I don't know how it looked in there. Now that I know the windows are Hehr, I still haven't found a better price. Other windows that I researched were from Atwood & Pelland and a side window was close to $400!! The way I did this installation didn't alter the original opening so the original windows could be put back in. Now to get a little off topic: I asked about the car show because we take our 76 pickup & '46 teardrop to it. We drove through Woodford State Park but didn't care for it that much, we usually camp at Emerald Lake. A couple weeks ago we went to the KOA in Brattleboro because they did a vintage camper weekend, went to Curtis' Barbecue too. Do you know anything about Orvis in Manchester having a teardrop camper in their place? Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote