Running with propane - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I know it's illegal to cool your fridge with propane while driving, but I'm wondering why? I can see that in the event of an accident, you don't want a severed propane feed spewing the gas, but we now have vehicles running on propane. They have safety shut-off valves, but so do the new propane tanks.

What haven't I thought about?

baglo
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the open flame.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
the open flame.
I smoke.

baglo
Old 09-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm not sure I'd count on the brackets to hold the tanks on the trailer in the event of a serious accident and I'd rather not have them spinning off across the pavement with open valves.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't travel with the propane running because there are other methods to use to keep the refrigerator cool. Blue ice or water frozen in plastic bottles. I also use an inside-the-refrigerator fan to keep the cool air circulating. Run the 3-way on 12-volt too.
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
I used to run with the propane on then thought of what could happen if... Now I hook up the 110 at home to cool the fridge for one or two days prior to leaving and use the 12volt on the road. Only takes a minute to fire the propane when in camp. On short weekend trips we usually just ice up a cooler and don't bother with the fridge at all except for storage.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Propane is heavier than air. In case of a leak it will pool inside a underwater tunnel, enclosed ferry, etc. Better safe than sorry.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Is it really illegal? Never heard that except on ferries or tunnels or something.
As I remember a few years ago, Scamp mfg. told me to use propane while driving. My refrig. then didn't have a DC option.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Gee, I wonder how all those peopane powered vehicles handle this?

This would also put a big crimp in T. Boones Pickens plan to convert all trucks and autos to CNG.

Just my thoughts.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Is it really illegal? Never heard that except on ferries or tunnels or something.
20 years ago...we used to run with propane on all the time...except thru tunnels or bridges. Have the laws changed?

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In canada maybe but in The USA i have only heard it illegal on ferries or tunnels..gas stations too.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Propane is heavier than air and natural gas is lighter than air.

How many of you shut off the valve of your propane tanks while driving or towing as opposed to just shutting off the appliance? If a propane tank has its valve open and it breaks loose or the line to the appliance is broken or cut anywhere it would release the gas.

I have never heard of a problem caused by RV propane tanks at an accident on the open road. I do know of a drive through car wash that blew up because the brushes ripped the hose from a propane tank on a propane powered pickup truck.

This brings to mind a war story that I had not thought about for years. I once rescued (or at least removed) the driver of a crashed propane tanker truck who was trapped in the cab of his truck. The tank was leaking and propane was flowing through the cab and accross road lanes that were not blocked. There were cars going past the accident driving through the visable propane stream with their hot catylatic converters. I was there by myself and there was not enough of me to get all of the traffic stopped plus attend to the injured driver who stood a chance being suffocated by propane or burning alive if it caught fire. I crawled into the cab, cut him from his seat belt, grabbed him by his jacket collar, dragged him out and ran dragging him as fast as I could until I was three hundred feet away from the wreck. As it turned out the wreck did not catch fire and everyone survived.

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
12 volts kill my battery quickly when I'm stopped, even tho its on a #10 wire.
I use propane all the time. Its good except when a big truck blows it out.
Can't see the pilot flame, so have I test with the burned finger method.
Ah Dometic, you're always a hassle.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I'm not aware that its illegal, except in tunnels. I use mine for my refrigerator while traveling.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Before getting the 12V line connected to the Scamp, I tried towing with the fridge running on propane. Every time, it blew out. I heard there were some suggestions for placing aluminum foil somewhere inside the louvered door to cure that, but I soon got the 12V line installed and didn't try again. On really hot days, the fridge just doesn't do well on 12V, so I'd try propane again if I knew I could count on it working.

As for accessory fans, which gets the nod; the inside-the-fridge fan like Donna's, or the one that helps circulation above the outside of the fridge? I seems like air circulation while driving would have a greater influence than a fan mounted in the same area, so maybe Donna's suggestion is better while underway?

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Before getting the 12V line connected to the Scamp, I tried towing with the fridge running on propane. Every time, it blew out. I heard there were some suggestions for placing aluminum foil somewhere inside the louvered door to cure that, but I soon got the 12V line installed and didn't try again. On really hot days, the fridge just doesn't do well on 12V, so I'd try propane again if I knew I could count on it working.

As for accessory fans, which gets the nod; the inside-the-fridge fan like Donna's, or the one that helps circulation above the outside of the fridge? I seems like air circulation while driving would have a greater influence than a fan mounted in the same area, so maybe Donna's suggestion is better while underway?

Parker
I've Googled all the BC Gov't sites I thought might have something on this issue. I was referred to I.C.B.C. and all they could come up with is a pamphlet that says you should. They couldn't find a regulation. They referred me to Commercial Safety branch and at least they were familiar with the question. They couldn't find a regulation either, but suggested it could be more of an issue with your insurer ( not taking reasonable precautions??? ). She just called me back and says they can't come up with an actual regulation. You do have to shuts tanks off for the ferry and when at a gas station.

So, as to the quote above. How do you run a 12 V line for your fridge, and if it is practical why would Dometic have a three way 3 cu. ft. fridge but a two way 5 cu. ft. fridge. I suspect the battery just wouldn't support the larger fridge.

baglo
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You pump gas and there are fumes and you have an open flame burning in back of the fridge.
Just maybe the guy on the other side of the island may be closer to the open flame and he is pumping gas.

Of all the campers I have seen that cought fire, it was at the back of the gas fridge,

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
So, as to the quote above. How do you run a 12 V line for your fridge, and if it is practical why would Dometic have a three way 3 cu. ft. fridge but a two way 5 cu. ft. fridge. I suspect the battery just wouldn't support the larger fridge.

baglo
The 12V for the fridge comes from the Scamp wiring system. It involves running a separate 12V from the TV for that purpose. I'm not sure what's done with the larger units, but our 13'er has the three-way fridge.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The 12V for the fridge comes from the Scamp wiring system. It involves running a separate 12V from the TV for that purpose. I'm not sure what's done with the larger units, but our 13'er has the three-way fridge.

Parker
If you have a charge wire you have 12 volt running to house battery from the Tow Vehicle. All trailer 12 volt systems run from the battery. The problem running the fridge on 12 Volts when under tow is the size of the alternator in the tow vehicle.

Example: When I tow with my 1998 Chev Blazer there's not enough current to charge the battery and run the fridge, which would require about 12 Amps more than required for the Blazer.
When I tow with my 2005 Dakota the 12 Amps are easily supplied. The Dakota has the full tow package, which I believe includes a larger battery and larger alternator.

The actual current drawn by the fridge is about 9.5 amps. With the standard 74 amp/hour battery it will take almost 4 hours to drain the battery to the 50% point if it's not being charged.

Byron
Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I seems like air circulation while driving would have a greater influence than a fan mounted in the same area, so maybe Donna's suggestion is better while underway?

Parker
I think they do two different things. Circulate the air around the coils when mounted on the mechanical side and circulate the air around the inside of the refrigerator with a battery fan like I have.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane