RV cover for WHILE you are using it? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2021, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
RV cover for WHILE you are using it?

I have been looking online for RV covers (to get an idea of pricing), and everything seems to be for when it's NOT in use. I'm looking for an RV cover (basically like a big awning over TOP of the RV) for while it's being used. Does this exist?
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're profile doesn't say what trailer... so I have no clue what size you need. Are you asking about something like this? It's a 13x13 from Costco over a Burro.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You're profile doesn't say what trailer... so I have no clue what size you need. Are you asking about something like this? It's a 13x13 from Costco over a Burro.
Yes that's exactly what I need. I don't have a trailer yet so not sure exactly what size. What is that called from Costco?
Old 04-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by James in NJ View Post
Yes that's exactly what I need. I don't have a trailer yet so not sure exactly what size. What is that called from Costco?
They are made by coleman. We have 2. I have had one for several years and got a second this year for the casita we have on order. Very well made and cover a huge area. Not sure how high it goes, but I'd say at least 7 ft at the edge.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
They are made by coleman. We have 2. I have had one for several years and got a second this year for the casita we have on order. Very well made and cover a huge area. Not sure how high it goes, but I'd say at least 7 ft at the edge.
By any chance do you remember what the product is actually called? When I search for "Coleman RV cover" I just see covers for when they aren't in use
Old 04-26-2021, 06:34 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
.... I'm looking for an RV cover (basically like a big awning over TOP of the RV) for while it's being used. Does this exist?
Yes it does.. its called a carport
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #7

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yes it does.. its called a carport
Thanks very much!

Edit: Lol
Old 04-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
... Are you asking about something like this? It's a 13x13 from Costco over a Burro.
I use something similar in the southern US, almost year round.. but OP is in New Jersey and if he wants a cover in winter, neither will work. But for short time cover in good weather these are reasonable ideas. But in snow and winds.. a carport is what I would use.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #9
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
This is a 10 x 10 canopy from Walmart, (Ozark Trail $39 - $79 - cheaper the earlier in the season), over a 13' off road trailer (10' of trailer, 3' of tongue, the trailer is higher than other 13' trailers because it's the off road model, Maxx Fan on top and no AC on top).

It went over the trailer but I could only open the Maxx Fan part way, and I used slit pool noodles on the 10 x 10 metal frame where it butted up to the trailer on three sides, (10 x 10 canopy over a 10 x 6ish trailer).

The 12 x 12 is taller than the 10 x 10. I've had both.

What I like about an Ozark Trail canopy is that it has the vent at the top, the canopy covers the trailer plus a bit extra on the door side, it is easily bungied down all around to the trailer, and it withstood wind and rain storms.

What I didn't like is that I always had to have 4 people to help set it up and take it down.

Also consider if you have solar on top you don't want to cover the top.
Attached Thumbnails
download_20181115_163210.jpg  
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:06 AM   #10

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
This is a 10 x 10 canopy from Walmart, (Ozark Trail $39 - $79 - cheaper the earlier in the season), over a 13' off road trailer (10' of trailer, 3' of tongue, the trailer is higher than other 13' trailers because it's the off road model, Maxx Fan on top and no AC on top).

It went over the trailer but I could only open the Maxx Fan part way, and I used slit pool noodles on the 10 x 10 metal frame where it butted up to the trailer on three sides, (10 x 10 canopy over a 10 x 6ish trailer).

The 12 x 12 is taller than the 10 x 10. I've had both.

What I like about an Ozark Trail canopy is that it has the vent at the top, the canopy covers the trailer plus a bit extra on the door side, it is easily bungied down all around to the trailer, and it withstood wind and rain storms.

What I didn't like is that I always had to have 4 people to help set it up and take it down.

Also consider if you have solar on top you don't want to cover the top.
Ah crap about needing 4 people to set it up and take down. Will look for one with an easier setup. Thank you though that's very helpful
Old 04-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #11

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
By any chance do you remember what the product is actually called? When I search for "Coleman RV cover" I just see covers for when they aren't in use
https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...oleman+shelter

I have set this up by myself with some effort. It is easy with 2 people.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I understand from other threads you plan to park the trailer on a piece of land you own and use it there as well as take it out from time to time.

For a permanent cover on your land, I agree a carport is the best solution. You can build one from wood or buy a prefab metal carport. It will need to be firmly anchored in concrete footings. Some people partially enclose them to better protect from sun and wind-driven rain. A double would be nice if you have space and funds, with room for your tug and/or outdoor living and working space. Floor can be gravel, concrete, pavers...

Check codes before you do anything. Snow and wind ratings vary. Make sure you buy or build one rated for your climate. A friend had one collapse under snow onto his vintage Mustang (it survived, but there was some damage).

Awnings shown in earlier posts are for temporary use only and have to be taken down in strong winds, snow... It won't work for all trailers and depends on the height of the poles and the overall height of your trailer. And yes, it requires several people to lift a canopy up and over the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #13

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...oleman+shelter

I have set this up by myself with some effort. It is easy with 2 people.
Thanks very much
Old 04-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #14

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I understand from other threads you plan to park the trailer on a piece of land you own and use it there as well as take it out from time to time.

For a permanent cover on your land, I agree a carport is the best solution. You can build one from wood or buy a prefab metal carport. It will need to be firmly anchored in concrete footings. Some people partially enclose them to better protect from sun and wind-driven rain. A double would be nice if you have space and funds, with room for your tug and/or outdoor living and working space. Floor can be gravel, concrete, pavers...

Check codes before you do anything. Snow and wind ratings vary. Make sure you buy or build one rated for your climate. A friend had one collapse under snow onto his vintage Mustang (it survived, but there was some damage).

Awnings shown in earlier posts are for temporary use only and have to be taken down in strong winds, snow... It won't work for all trailers and depends on the height of the poles and the overall height of your trailer. And yes, it requires several people to lift a canopy up and over the trailer.
Your understanding is correct, though I don't yet own any land, and intend to visit places in an RV in order to find the piece of land that I want to buy. Thanks very much for this info, will keep all that in mind once I have some land
Old 05-03-2021, 01:33 AM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I have seen a picture of a cover that seems to fit a 17-ft molded fiberglass RV perfectly. There is actually a door in the cover on top of the door in the camper.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
I have seen a picture of a cover that seems to fit a 17-ft molded fiberglass RV perfectly. There is actually a door in the cover on top of the door in the camper.
A number of storage covers include a zipper to access the door. But you couldn’t actually use the trailer with the storage cover on because all windows and vents are covered.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A number of storage covers include a zipper to access the door. But you couldn’t actually use the trailer with the storage cover on because all windows and vents are covered.

There is a cover that doesn't cover the door, windows and vents.
It's called wax.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Wax is a given on a molded trailer, regardless of whatever additional means of protection one might choose to use.

As I understand it, the OP’s plan is to full-time in the trailer (that rules out fabric storage covers). Part of the time he will be on the road traveling and part of the time he will park on a piece of land set up as an RV dock.

Personally I think a carport structure would be really nice for the home port, not just to protect the trailer, but also to have covered outdoor living space (nice to spread out after a long time on the road) as well as a protected work space (for RV and/or tow vehicle maintenance, repairs, and projects). A secured storage space would be nice too, so you don’t have to take everything with you on the road.

Zoning restrictions and building codes are the main obstacle, which will likely limit the OP to more isolated rural areas. Phone and internet access could be a problem for remote work, if that’s also part of the plan.

Carport is not required of course. There’s a Boler owner who full-times in Michigan. Heats with a tiny wood stove and uses a canopy similar to post #2 for shade and rain protection in warm seasons. I think it’s a borrowed or rented spot on someone else's property, so a permanent structure is not an option.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #19

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
Woah with a door is very cool
Old 05-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Calmark Casita and Scamp covers