RV-ing guide book? - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-02-2018, 11:58 PM   #1

Name: Nan
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
RV-ing guide book?

I am about to retire and greatly interested in doing some travel utilizing an RV.

Is there such a thing as an RV Camping 101 book? Something that will tell me all I have to know to get out there and do this?

I've watched a million YouTube videos (okay, maybe hyperbole, a little) but I also enjoy reading books and having them as a reference.

I don't want to go off grid and disappear in the wilderness. I just want a "how-to" book that will tell me what I need to know to get a good start on this process.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Nan aka "jerseytransplant"
jerseytransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are indeed books such as RV for Dummies and RV for idiots. Chances are that your local library has a copy of such a book. But I can tell you this if you have watched a lot of youtube videos you already know more about it that is being presented in those books. I know that because I checked out a couple of those books to see what the contents were like. I am just nosy that way, I like to see how people present information.

If you want to understand the various systems in your FGRV....On youtube there are some well qualified service people within the RV industry who do a great job of explaining things such as how the water system works, the sewage, the furnace, the stove, how to hitch and unhitch and get things leveled. Just look and find some good channels that cover a range of topics but resist over explaining the subject. Over explaining confuses beginners. Example here: how to use the water system in a travel trailer

This is another channel that is focused on beginners and has a lot of videos about the different things to do and not to do. The channel is aptly named RV education 101. https://www.youtube.com/user/rved101/videos
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #3

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytransplant View Post
I am about to retire and greatly interested in doing some travel utilizing an RV.

Is there such a thing as an RV Camping 101 book? Something that will tell me all I have to know to get out there and do this?

I've watched a million YouTube videos (okay, maybe hyperbole, a little) but I also enjoy reading books and having them as a reference.

I don't want to go off grid and disappear in the wilderness. I just want a "how-to" book that will tell me what I need to know to get a good start on this process.

I'm not sure what kind of information you're looking for. If it's how to camp everybody is different does different things in different ways. You'll eventually have to find your own way.

Now for finding camp grounds located in woods and some very little used, my go to web site is HERE.
Another good source of camping information including meals, what to take with you, etc. are backpacking guides. My favorite one is this one. https://www.amazon.com/Backpacking-O.../dp/0394729390
That one I used a lot in my backpacking days, much will translate into the trailer.

I did one other thing I towed at first with Blazer SUV and now with Dakota with cap and bed rug. Basic rule, but steadfast, "If it's used in the trailer, it goes in the trailer. If it not used in the trailer it goes in the tow".
Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I like books also, but when it comes to RVing or camping the best thing to do is to just do it. Rent an RV for a few days. The place we rented from had an orientation class on how to use the RV, a class C in our case. Camp close to where you rented the unit from so if something goes wrong you can return it or have it towed back. Drive to the closest campground and hook up everything. Plan on doing this first outing during the week, and not close to the holidays, preferably even on the off season.

Rent whatever type of RV you think you might want to buy, or try out different types of RV's.

Think of it as learning how to swim. You can read all about it, but jumping into the swimming pool is quite different than just reading about how to swim. And swimming in a lake is quite different than using a swimming pool. Same with RVing/camping.

Also you may have a local camping club or group, we have some in our area.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytransplant View Post

You can go to Camping World and take a look at some of their books. Once you decide what to get and are ready to go on an adventure then join Passport America. It is a half price campground club so to speak. It costs $39 for a year. The first year you can get 15 months for $39. Camping World also has the books and memberships for sale. You can look at them and see what it is before you buy. I wouldn't have any work done or buy an RV from them though. You have to decide if you will travel a lot or camp in one place a lot. That could help decide the type of RV you want. I have a 21.5 ft class C motorhome and a 17' Casita. Most trips we go from one place to another every night or 2. Some trips we stay in one place for a week or so. When going place to place we take the motorhome so we aren't towing and unhooking. If we need groceries we stop before stopping for the night. We like the motorhome to go places during the day so we have food and bathroom with us. On trips where we stay for several days we take the Casita. That way we have the tow vehicle to go places in. Usually it's places that the motorhome can't go. Whatever you get just go out and enjoy it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #6

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Red face rv guide

We picked up our first TT this Spring @ the Casita factory in Rice, TX. We had spent about a year deliberating various ones and studying. Also we watched about 100 videos on Youtube, most done by LOLOHO..very professional and informativbe. Then we also bought the Casita How To Book, "Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide" from LoveMyCasita

Also very helpful..amd we read that book cover to cover. I feel we were "months ahead" on practical knowlege, when it came time to head out from Rice w our new egg last Spring
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
No book will do it all, but everything you read will help.

In the end we all have to do, or at least try, then laugh, live and learn.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
...then join Passport America. It is a half price campground club so to speak. It costs $39 for a year. ...
The price listed on this page is $44. I used to be a member and my renewal price is also $44.

In the year I had Passport America I used it once and was not happy with the place I went to. There are many restrictions and not many places to choose from. I prefer state parks or the like anyway. IMHO no need to join when you are just starting out with an RV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I don’t get Passport America anymore be cause there weren’t very many participating in places we like to do.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I would pass on a book, sure one for your model RV (owner manual) you will need for guidance on how things work and operate. I have told many of our RV friends to go to YouTube and watch the LongLongHoneymoon series on RVing, good and entertaining for all RV information. There is really no better way to learn then hands on experience, many do what they call a "shake down" which is no more then going to a campsite and practice setting up there new campers. Remember all camping sites are different and what may work in one will not work in the other, you have to learn to be flexible. Good luck it will all come in time.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Before I bought my Scamp and for a long time after, I perused The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, by Brent Peterson. It explains the language and terms used in the business and has a bunch of useful stuff, a glossary and a good index. It is 400 pages, but of course you only need the general information and that related to the trailer class you are interested in.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Are you looking for a how to for "rving", or more of a user manual for the actual rv? Or both? Sure "how to camp" is different for everyone, though there are still tips, tricks and rules.

But I think it would be really, really helpful to have a how-to for the actual trailer/rv, and I keep meaning to start putting a post together to explain how all the systems work but...whenever I'm feeling that motivated I decide to use that energy on my job instead. So maybe when I'm retired. You'll have to wait awhile

There are so many things that aren't intuitive.

Toilet. How would anyone know not to leave the black tank valve open when hooked up to sewer?

Water. How's the pump work, anyway? Do you know you can "run out" of water, and still have a water heater completely full of water, essentially out of reach?

12V system vs 120V system and how they interact; inverter vs converter. All that.

How to drain the tanks.

How to level. How to stabilize. The difference between the two.

How to light a pilot light. How to find out if you have one, or if you have electronic ignition.

Did you turn off the water heater before pulling the trailer away from camp?

What kind of soaps and cleaners and scrubbers to use?

That kind of stuff is not necessary "everyone does it differently, figure it out" stuff. It's information a book, or, say, an internet forum on the topic of rvs could provide. Anyone know of one of those??

This all connects to another post I keep meaning to start, which is tips and tricks for full timers. Both I think would be hugely beneficial to people and would require a lot of help since I certainly don't have all the answers. But I haven't managed to make the time yet.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Be Prepared

Make sure you know how to operate everything in the RV before you go.

It is easy to overlook something when breaking camp, which could cost you, or be a safety hazard. And most importantly, make sure your trailer lights are working. A check list for breaking camp is easy to make.

We also have one for outfitting the trailer prior to a trip. It is easy to forget things, like a fly swatter, and it doesn't get easier with time!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
There are a great number of how-to books on the market. I read a couple and didn't think they were particularly well-written. I also suspect that at least some of them get high ratings because they are rated by people who basically don't know anything to start with.

On the other hand, the books are providing a lot of information to people who basically know very little to begin with, so they are providing a service. You can find used copies at used-book outlets such as AbeBooks and ThriftBooks online, and used book stores in most communities.

Additional to this forum there are many other RV forums where folks share information. As mentioned, there is also YouTube where everyone seems to be attempting the dream of getting paid to tell you about their groovy RV lifestyle. Technomadia has a good web site, though it has shifted focus from from RVing to cruising on a boat, and there are many others to sample out there.

Finally, we populate a new list every trip with things we would like to add or subtract, changes, water and propane and consumption records, and gracious knows what-all.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I agree with Mike, Utube has some great videos, (and some not so great). I really enjoy Slim Potatohead. He is a western Canadian who solos in an Aliner. His videos are very professional and useful. He even has a video on going squat in the woods!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Forget the books... partner up with someone with a similar camper. Not the same brand necessarily but not a Class A motor-home if you have a 13 foot FBRV. Then both (or all) of you go camping together. Don't forget to bring the beer, wine, snacks or whatever motivates "your teacher."

Oh, and before you do that, if you have spare time go camping in your driveway and try things out.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Welcome Nan! Find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Escapees RV Club offers an EXCELLENT RVBC, usually over a weekend. Other groups (FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams and probably others) offer their versions of RVBC, some as long as seven days (more social activities). RVEducation101.com has a DVD series you can buy (or possibly borrow at a library). RVBC graduates are smarter RV buyers and, some insurance companies offer discounts to RVBC grads. Subscribe to and start following Chuck Woodbury's RVTravel.com (free but, donations are appreciated). Some RV brands have a book specific for their RVs. In other cases, there are RV owners who have written their own book (Eileen Glick at LoveMyCasita has an excellent ebook for Casita Fiberglass Travel Trailers which, by the way, is a GREAT way to get started RVing). MOST people wind up, after some time spent RVing, realize they would be much happier if certain things were different (more space in kitchen/bathroom etc, etc, etc). Until you're ACTUALLY RVing, you can't REALLY be certain of what will or won't "work" best for you. That's probably why many (most?) RVers go through two ~ five RVs BEFORE they find the RV that's perfect for them. Again, WELCOME!
Regards,
John
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Amazon is offering more than 50 different books that are meant for beginning RV owners telling them all about the RV and all about how to travel in them. I quit trying to count at the 10th page, there were many more pages of them that I did not bother to look at.

You want to find books on how to do it, you will have no shortage of them to choose from. Go for it
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote