RV/MH Hall of Fame Elkhart, Indiana ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RV/MH Hall of Fame Elkhart, Indiana ??

Have you been to the RV/MH hall of fame? How much time should I plan on for a non-rushed tour?
What is the lowest priced camping in the area (including the federal geezer pass)? Just planning my summer, TNX.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We visited there in 2014. A half a day was plenty for us. There are a bunch of other interesting transportation related museums in the area (within an hour or two).

We stayed at the KIA just off I80. We had planned to stay at the campground at the county fair at Elkhart, which we heard has a lot of spots and is affordable, but unfortunately the fair was in session.

BTW, the museum is sponsored by Thor, so many displays lean in that direction, but there are still plenty of historic RVs to see.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
It's interesting but two or three hours should do it. The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum is fabulous https://automobilemuseum.org/. The Studebaker museum is very nice as well. https://www.studebakermuseum.org/exh...uring-victory/
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
We visited during a cross-country trip in 2016. As members of Harvest Host, we were able to camp there in their parking lot. During the night, a big storm blew through but didn't bother us much.

But we were rousted at midnight by a sheriff and her deputy for illegal camping. Seems no one told them about the Harvest Host program! It was all pretty funny, after the fact. They ran our license plate and then demanded to see me by name. I was a little hesitant to open the door before peeking out through the curtains to be sure it wasn't a rowdy pair of local hooligans.

Oh, and by the way, we cooked up a fine meal of pork tenderloin in that parking lot. Nothing but the best for Scamp outings!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I was there in 2018. I could have spent an entire day just in the library reading old magazines and looking at the photos on the walls! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
It's interesting but two or three hours should do it. The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum is fabulous https://automobilemuseum.org/. The Studebaker museum is very nice as well. https://www.studebakermuseum.org/exh...uring-victory/
Highly recommend the Studebaker Museum! It was great. Didn't know about the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum. Will have to plan another trip to see that. DW wants to go to the Frank Lloyd Wright On-a-rock in Wisconsin, so we can plan it on that trip.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
We did both of thiise museums on our trip plus the Hudson museum in Shipshewana. Unfortunately that one closed, but we were fortunate to meet the guy that originally collected the cars and got an autographed book.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Museums

I’ve not visited the RV Museum, just don’t have the interest I guess. But I have been to the Auburn museum in Auburn, Indiana twice. To me it is breathtaking. I have camped at Pokagon state park at Angola a few times and have stayed in the lodge and had meals there over two dozen times. The refrigerated toboggan slide this time of year at the park is a kill for sure. They have big college boys loading the sleds so even big guys can take the ride.
I’m going to make the Studebaker museum one of these days when I’m out that way.

In the middle of Shipshewana is a hotel and restaurant. Go there, get the 1/2 chicken with mashed potatoes and some pie. Terrific.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E01F537A-0F5E-4B8B-B236-70711E6A98A9.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I think we stayed at Chain-O-Lakes State Park. About half way between Ft Wayne and Elkhart. It was fine and conveniently located with regard to the museums.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #10

Iowa
I never stayed at Chain of lakes but was in the park on very nice day early in the spring about three years ago. It got real warm that day and the last of the ice was going off the lake. Sew some turtles on a log and a flock of turkeys. Looked like a pretty nice campground. On one end of the park was a very nice brick schoolhouse that had been restored/preserved. It was not open at the time but I looked through the windows and I walked around it a couple times. Very nice and interesting. Did not know that saloon keeping people were inferior to others.
I’ve also stayed at McCormick Creek State Park near
Bloomington a couple nights. Worked out great to camp and attend a football game between Ohio State and Indiana.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E8839474-6051-4F58-A64B-6F2A29F97CBA.jpg   F89138B2-2DA1-4501-AB23-14DBE1AAF6DF.jpg  

Old 01-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
Potato Creek State Park is closer than either Pokagon or Chain O Lakes. I haven't camped there yet, but planning to stay there this summer on the way to a wine tour in southeast Michigan wine country.
Check out the new Indiana Dunes National Park as well for cheap primative sites. There is also an Indiana Dunes State Park campground with hook-ups, but I have not yet tried either.
I like Chain O Lakes best in spring for the wild flowers, but also have enjoyed renting a canoe for a relaxing summer paddle.
Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:32 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Looks like northern Indiana for a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Just planning my summer, TNX.
https://automobilemuseum.org/
1600 S Wayne St Auburn, IN 46706

https://natmus.org/
1000 Gordon M. Buehrig Place Auburn, Indiana 46706

<center>Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum • Auburn, Indiana - Ford Flathead V-8 - 1932 - 1953 <br>Ford Products</center>
2181 ROTUNDA DR. AUBURN, IN 46706

https://www.studebakermuseum.org/exh...uring-victory/
201 Chapin Street South Bend, IN

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...eum-collection
HUDSON AUTO MUSEUM Permanently closed
Old 01-17-2022, 05:26 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
Frank LLoyd Wright / house on the rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
DW wants to go to the Frank Lloyd Wright On-a-rock in Wisconsin, so we can plan it on that trip.

...are two different places. I went to both last summer and found them well worth it. My Wrights Taliesin tour was pricey but a rather lengthy. (they have several) House on the rock was a self guided tour that could have lasted hours had I looked at everything. Base camp was Tom's Campground. Mine is the little white speck in the center under the tree. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ture15143.html
Old 01-17-2022, 09:40 PM   #14

Iowa
Then drizzle on down to Quasqueton, Iowa and visit this beautiful example of Wright’s work all the way down to the silverware selection.
Iowa Dave
Frank Lloyd Wright Iowa — The Lowell and Agnes Walter Estate at Cedar Rock
Old 01-17-2022, 09:53 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Registry
Iowa is in July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Then drizzle on down to quasqueton iowa and visit this beautiful example of Wright’s work all the way down to the silverware selection.
Iowa Dave
Frank Lloyd Wright Iowa — The Lowell and Agnes Walter Estate at Cedar Rock
Starting at the worlds largest truck stop (Iowa 80), then the bridges of Madison County and then north to the Scamp Homecoming in Minnesota. (I did note the red Frank Lloyd Wright tile on the Walter house.) This one is from Taliesin (Wisconsin).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3869.jpg  
Old 01-17-2022, 10:31 PM   #16

Iowa
When you’re done in Madison county (don’t forget
John Wayne’s boyhood home,) get on I-35 and go north to Mason City for your first iowa exposure to Wrights designs.

https://visitmasoncityiowa.com/about...-lloyd-wright/

If you camp there, camp at Macintosh Woods at
Clear Lake. Take the boat cruise on the lake and visit the Surf Ballroom, site of the last performance before the music died in a frozen cornfield.. then on to Minnesota.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-17-2022, 10:51 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When you’re done in Madison county (don’t forget
I do hope to see Marion Morrison'sbirth place. I have been to the site where the music died, I turned my F350 and Jayco fifth wheel around there. I was born in Iowa and spend a lot of time there and in South Dakota.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:00 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Have you been to the RV/MH hall of fame? How much time should I plan on for a non-rushed tour?
What is the lowest priced camping in the area (including the federal geezer pass)? Just planning my summer, TNX.
Plan at least half a day or more if you don't like to hurry. We've been there 3 times and love it. If you get there and stay the day you can sleep in the parking lot that night. We've overnighted there all 3 times. There are several other museums and fun places in the area. There's a campground in Howe, IN also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:10 PM   #19

Iowa
I tent camped at the camping area at the fairgrounds near Goshen for a couple nights a few years back. Worked out well enough.
Iowa Dave
https://www.4hfair.org/p/plan-your-v...-round-camping
Old 01-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
We were there about four years ago, definitely worth a half a day, some nice exhibits. Plus there is A research room that has documents that might be particular to your model a trailer. I spent too much time at the diagram of how a propane refrigerator works, it’s borderline magic. I’m an old car guy too, the ACD is definitely worthwhile, didn’t know about the Studebaker museum.
Thomas W is offline   Reply With Quote