RV Organizations.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Name: Stan
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
RV Organizations....

Hi Everybody,
I just introduced myself over at the newbie forum and I'm here now to ask a question. Being a newbie, I hope this is the right place to ask.

My question is.......What organizations have people joined that they've found to be beneficial? The ones I'm thinking of are ones like.....Good Sam Club, Escapees, PassportAmerica.

In advance, thanks.

Stan
TucsonStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Well Stan,
I joined Escapees and think it was a complete waste of money
Phil
ps, welcome here!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I joined Escapees and unlike Phil think it's worth every cent.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like Passport America and KOA and Good Sam Road service in lieu of AAA
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Good Sam, KOA and we like AAA Plus (AAA+) because of the distance they will tow. (Not just to the next available dealer)

Did not like Passport or Camp USA.

Make sure the camp club you join does not have Limited camp grounds and discounts sparse during the actual camping season.

Many camp grounds give discounts for both Good Sam and AAA Membership.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If you're considering full timing you definitely want to consider Escapees. Many benefits for full timers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face You win some and you loose some

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
I joined Escapees and think it was a complete waste of money
I considered Escapees for a while, but decided my style of traveling didn't fit well with their program. I think it is a wonderful organization for full-timers, but that's not me.

I have AAA, and bought their "RV" endorsement to the regular membership, but didn't pop for the top of the line AAA+. BIG MISTAKE. I did well with them while within my home geographic area (Southern California) but was left high and dry during a breakdown in the middle of Kansas. Apparently each region is a separate club which has the right to pick and choose what services they will honor, and what they can void. They never told the Tow truck that I was towing a travel trailer, even though I said it 4 times on the phone.

I dropped the "RV" endorsement, and use AAA for the car only. Their middle name is "Automobile" and that's all they seem to know.

I also have a Good Sam Membership with their separately billed standard Emergency Roadside Assistance service. These people know RVs, and I have been very satisfied with how we were treated when we had troubles while towing on the Interstate. BUT when I had a flat in my Dr's parking lot in San Diego with just he Odyssey, their vendor tow-truck never showed up. After an 1-1/2 hours waiting I had to carry my doughnut spare up the street to a service station to fill it with air, and carry it back and put it on the minivan myself.

Check your spare every time you check your other tires air pressure !!! The air from the factory doesn't last for 7 years!

I now use the Good Sam's ERS only when towing.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Until this last month-long trip, I had never had any form of 'roadside assistance' club membership. For this trip (traveling 1200 miles one way to pick up a trailer I had never seen) I got the Good Sam platinum package.

Never needed it.

Any and all issues I had ( my alternator crapped out just outside of Roswell, NM, blew up a trailer tire in Idaho taking the black & gray plumbing with it, my brake controller failed in Flagstaff, taking nearly all of my under-dash wiring with it) I fixed myself
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita
I love Passport America and it pays for itself every year. It depends a lot on your travel area and travel style, like Brother Simson said. But above all, check your Auto / RV towing policy. I'm totally Good Sam Roadside and won't leave home without it.

Regards,

Keith W.
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Good Sam Platinum. Have used it several times in different states with complete satisfaction. One use required an 80 mile tow. Passport America. Three nights usually gets us to the cost break even point. Joined Escapees for one year and dropped it as it didn't fit us.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Good Sam, has it's place. Probably more recognized than any camping organization. But they have issues, just as all of them do. Good Sam is cheap enough and you get a discount. Good Sam is good for the campers, it's the campgrounds and Rv parks that they screw over.

Escapees, terrific if your a full timer. Mainly for their mailing services!

Passport America, I hear their getting better. For the longest time they tended to have only the campgrounds/rvparks that were iffy........ I prefer to stay in nicer campgrounds and rv parks. But I have been told over the last 5 years they are getting the nicer parks to join. Only issue is the time slot they allow the discount. If it works for you, then it's a great discount.

Personally you have to make up your own mind as to which membership benefits your camping needs best.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote