RV park requires pics before reservation - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #61

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Au contraire! Been to Portland alot. One of my coworkers owns a bar there too. I think he (and some of his patrons) wrote the book on weird.

The thing that makes Austin weirder (at least to me) is that it's a little pocket of weirdness surrounded by the complete opposite.
When you stand back and look from a distance sometimes you get a better perspective. From here Austin seems like an island of sanity surrounded by an unsettled and unstable sea.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #62
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
East View RV Ranch in Georgetown, TX

They didn't specify any reason for their decision.
Ah, Georgetown. There are two COE campgrounds on Lake Georgetown. We've camped at (and like) both. (Jim Hogg and Cedar Breaks.) Put them on your short list for "next time."
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:49 AM   #63

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
OK so it is a ranch or at what was what a Texan might call a "ranchette" meaning a couple of acres with a house with just enough roof for a chicken coop and horse stall with a bit of pasture. It is still not much more than a field with the former house, and a few typical metal utility buildings. In that small field a bulldozer created a big gravel drive and parking spots. The irony of it is that if someone did have their RV break down the towing company with associated auto repair is right across the road from them.

But I think they need some rusty stuff, old tractors, agricultural equipment for authentic ambiance. Including some nicely restored vintage truck campers and travel trailers Gotta love google earth, it reveals the truth. Now we have all had a good laugh out of what they did.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv park.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	113419
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 AM   #64

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why are those "campers" there?
I use Google Earth all the time to check out prospective campgrounds. Incredible how many times Riverside RV Park is across the road from a pig farm and a half mile from a ditch.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #65

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why are those "campers" there?
I use Google Earth all the time to check out prospective campgrounds. Incredible how many times Riverside RV Park is across the road from a pig farm and a half mile from a ditch.
I've asked myself the same question about many RV parks down here Glenn. Truth is, many are nothing more than a stopover point for the diesel pushers and gargantuan 5th wheels going down the interstate. Not "camping" to me, but to each their own.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From what I could see on the website their bathroom is a single-user room with a commode, sink, and shower. I'm sure full self-containment is one of their "criteria."

To their credit, they do not call this a campground, just an RV park, as in "a place to park an RV."

It appears to be neatly kept and reasonably priced. I am grateful for its existence and others like it. Every RV parked there is not competing with me for a spot at a real campground!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #67
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian m. View Post
Pecan Grove RV Park in the heart of Austin! Your trailer would be most welcomed.[emoji41]
IF you could get a spot! I think it stays pretty full (don't know anybody who's ever been able to get in there).
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #68

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
We called to make a 2-night reservation at an RV park near Austin. Since our little camper is more than 10 years old they required us to email pictures of all four sides before accepting a reservation. I find this amusing. It will be interesting to hear whether they have approved us.
We were in Austin last month for three days and loved it. We camped at McKinney Falls SP and it's great!! About 15-20 minutes from downtown, and when you're in the park you'd never know that you're in a major city.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #69

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Must have been a fabulous time having that bus to travel!!
Yep sleeps nine and three of the four kids could drive it, (two have CDL's) plus Cheryl so with 5 drivers counting myself driving was easy and the full kitchen we saved enough on accommodations and meals to cover the horrific gas mileage (6 mpg). Drove straight through Michigan to Pueblo Colo. took us 28 hours.

Was funny going through the mountains, had to use a low gear going up, and stay in a low gear going down to avoid overheating the brakes. The kids made up signs on poster board for the people behind us to read until we could pull over and let them pass.

Some of the signs I remember:
Yes we drove 5,000 miles just to be in your way. Scenic routes at scenic speeds. Don't honk it upsets the dog and he's driving. You think this is slow you should see us when the hamster runs out of coffee.

That and it was a musical education, we all took turns providing or picking the music. Bob Dylan to the Bangles, Garth Brooks to Grateful Dead. With some head banging stuff that I have no idea who it was.

I was however informed that Black Sabbath Paranoid was a poor choice for going down Wolf Creek Pass. IDK seemed good to me? Switched to Paul Simon and everyone was happy again.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #70

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
nice time

well sounds like a great time I don't consider mountain driving a time for big speeds! Although in the Alps in Europe you see the real thing with the Audis, bmws and such!!

I have to wonder no matter the make how those cars take it?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #71

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Yep sleeps nine and three of the four kids could drive it, (two have CDL's) plus Cheryl so with 5 drivers counting myself driving was easy and the full kitchen we saved enough on accommodations and meals to cover the horrific gas mileage (6 mpg). Drove straight through Michigan to Pueblo Colo. took us 28 hours.

Was funny going through the mountains, had to use a low gear going up, and stay in a low gear going down to avoid overheating the brakes. The kids made up signs on poster board for the people behind us to read until we could pull over and let them pass.

Some of the signs I remember:
Yes we drove 5,000 miles just to be in your way. Scenic routes at scenic speeds. Don't honk it upsets the dog and he's driving. You think this is slow you should see us when the hamster runs out of coffee.

That and it was a musical education, we all took turns providing or picking the music. Bob Dylan to the Bangles, Garth Brooks to Grateful Dead. With some head banging stuff that I have no idea who it was.

I was however informed that Black Sabbath Paranoid was a poor choice for going down Wolf Creek Pass. IDK seemed good to me? Switched to Paul Simon and everyone was happy again.
When my wife was a kid her family lived in a converted school bus (all 9 of them). That ended when the 7 kids almost died from a propane leak. Parents found out there was a problem when they stopped and could not wake any of the kids up.

I know all about going slow up mountains. I had a bumper sticker on my Vangon that read "if you want to go faster you could help push".
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #72

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
When my wife was a kid her family lived in a converted school bus (all 9 of them). That ended when the 7 kids almost died from a propane leak. Parents found out there was a problem when they stopped and could not wake any of the kids up.
Well, as a retired paramedic, with over 30 years working the field full-time, I can tell you that the same thing happens in sticks and bricks. Gas or carbon monoxide leaks are rare, but they do happen no matter where you are. Maintenance, regular leak testing, and detectors are necessary where ever gas is used.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #73

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Well, as a retired paramedic, with over 30 years working the field full-time, I can tell you that the same thing happens in sticks and bricks. Gas or carbon monoxide leaks are rare, but they do happen no matter where you are. Maintenance, regular leak testing, and detectors are necessary where ever gas is used.
Absolutely, you don't need to be a paramedic to know that. The risk becomes greater when you move gas fittings and systems into a moving object. Proper maintenance and testing is a requirement for any system when dealing with safety. Sadly many older RV's do not have LP detectors, owners would be well served adding them to their rigs. It was just a converted school bus story I knew and nothing ageist converted school buses in general.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #74

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Going back to the original topic, I like that method of screening your camper over just eliminating your rig for its age. We stayed in a campground last year in Naples at Xmas that we were careful not to say how old our Silver Cloud was, and they did not ask. Yes, we were surrounded by big, shiny rigs, and at the time, our Egg Carton looked a little sad (Kevin called it "The Dowager."). We had stripped the old decals and cleaned it and gave it several coats of Polyglow, but we had not added new decals, plus driving from IL through snow and salt, it was not shiny white. I was happy we were not thrown out. Our spot was close to the hosts also.
This year, I am looking forward to showing off the Egg Carton with its new decals. I hope it will look as nice as it did this summer when camping. We have a week with the grands at Disney before Naples, so if it needs cleaning, I hope we can do it.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot in Naples.jpg   Bigfoot drivers side new stickers.jpg  

Bigfoot driver side copy.jpg   Bigfoot passenger side.jpg  

Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #75

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Going back to the original topic, I like that method of screening your camper over just eliminating your rig for its age. We stayed in a campground last year in Naples at Xmas that we were careful not to say how old our Silver Cloud was, and they did not ask. Yes, we were surrounded by big, shiny rigs, and at the time, our Egg Carton looked a little sad (Kevin called it "The Dowager."). We had stripped the old decals and cleaned it and gave it several coats of Polyglow, but we had not added new decals, plus driving from IL through snow and salt, it was not shiny white. I was happy we were not thrown out. Our spot was close to the hosts also.
This year, I am looking forward to showing off the Egg Carton with its new decals. I hope it will look as nice as it did this summer when camping. We have a week with the grands at Disney before Naples, so if it needs cleaning, I hope we can do it.

CindyL
Looks really sharp with the new decals.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #76

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thank you! We love the finished camper too. We don't get as much notice as we did with our previous Uhaul VT or Burro, but at our last camping trip when we winterized, we got noticed.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot last trip 2017.jpg  
Old 11-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #77

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Very few of us would be welcome at Bluewater Key Resort in Key West. Rules 2-4 (out of 40):

2. All RV’s must be self-contained with their own bath, toilet and kitchen facilities.
3. Soft-sided pop-up campers, truck campers and tents are NOT ALLOWED.
4. ALL RVs must be a minimum of 24 feet in length (traveling length).

Of course, at $135 - $200 per night (7 night minimum) I'm not sure how many would want to stay there anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Looking at the photos in their gallery, it looks like a gravel parking lot with a few pole barns.

I'd say your not missing much.
This is pretty funny... I sort of jumped into reading the middle of this thread this morning and saw this post of Lyle's right after Jon's... a gravel parking lot with a few pole barns?

So, I Googled the Bluewater Key Resort; here's a link to their image gallery => Gallery

How about those pole barns!?!

I thought Lyle must have some pretty high standards indeed, until I went back and read the rest of the thread about the East View RV Ranch...
Attached Thumbnails
bluewaterkey_roboneal_8942_1.jpg   bluewaterkey_roboneal_8924_1.jpg  

bluewaterkey_2_9228_2.jpg   bluewaterkey_roboneal_9087_1.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #78

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I'm guilty of the same thing, at times, jumping into the middle of a conversation without reading the entire thread. Been burned enough by making inappropriate, or at least ill-informed comments that I try to avoid joining in prematurely. Not always successful in the restraint, however.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #79

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Ah, Georgetown. There are two COE campgrounds on Lake Georgetown. We've camped at (and like) both. (Jim Hogg and Cedar Breaks.) Put them on your short list for "next time."
Yes Mary! We have now reserved 2 nights at Cedar Breaks. I think we'll like it there.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #80

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Yes Mary! We have now reserved 2 nights at Cedar Breaks. I think we'll like it there.
Looking at the other place now, I can see that it just might have had the problem before of someone trying to drop off an old camper there or something similar, as someone here mentioned.

Glad you found something better.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote