RV park requires pics before reservation - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #41

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Floyd, your photo of your scamp is gorgeous! We're working on the rub-on decals that will upgrade our 1973 amerigo into such a shining example of high-end trailer park acceptability.

Thanks for the concept!

When we had our GetAway Van, we were turned down by a park on the Washington Peninsula; they asked for a photo. Although I sent it several times, they never again responded. Easier than saying, "No," maybe. Though we prefer State and National Parks, "mostly;" we were with a travel club that had chosen that place...it was my first encounter with the "your rig's not good enough" attitude, and I found it briefly shocking--and then "well, too bad for them!" (And then, "Good for them and good for us! Never the twain shall meet.")

(when we sold it, this was the only image of it I kept--apparently. It was a very faint photo and I went over the edges to transfer it to fabric to embroider it onto a windbreaker. That's why it looks odd.)

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Get Away Van.jpg  
Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #42

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
We wanted a seasonal spot at our local campground. They would not take us unless we repainted our 1974 Boler. It had original paint and was somewhat faded. Should have it ready by June next year...
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
This morning the RV Park in question ($34 per night) advised my wife that our camper "does not meet criteria", thus declining our request to reserve a site for a 2-night stay. I think that's hilarious and it's been an interesting experience. We found a nearby state park that will have us. This evening I'll post you a picture of our rejected Hunter Compact II.
There is one in the area which allows tents but has a 15 year restriction on trailers. I thought I might get a tent to keep my unsightly trailer out of sight!
PLUS... tents stay for only $25 a night... no pictures and no preapproval!
Another plus is that up to four pets can stay for only $2 a night each, so I can still bring them along to help in raising the tent!
What a great place! They're bound to love us, 'cause EVERYTHING'S BIG in TEXAS!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
The OP is looking for a place near AUSTIN. Campgrounds near HOUSTON would be a 3 hour (maybe more) commute.
My mistake.
There's a State Park right on the edge of Austin according to Ultimate Campgrounds US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map

And they take reservations.

Looks like they found it.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #45

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
state parks

i would take a state park over a private park anytime. most of the time we boondock at the local walmarts but when trouting it worth it to do the state park!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #46

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Now where is that picture of our 13 ft. scamp looking like it is behind and being towed by the 45 foot motor coach? Send the picture and let them assume the big one is us :-)

My mom made reservations for a big multi-household family camping trip out in Colorado. She was somewhat concerned that some parks might not like our 38 ft. school bus camper so for each reservation she specified that we had a Blue Bird School Bus Camper. International Harvester engine/chassis with body by Blue Bird, had the chrome logo above the door and manufacturers plate inside.

Park in Durango young guy behind the counter got upset when we pulled up, tried to tell my mom that she hadn't notified them and had not specified school bus. Besides Blue Bird didn't make school buses. My brother and I invited the fellow to join us in the parking lot where he could examine the vehicle and then come back and apologize for calling our mother a liar. He declined, might have had something to do with older brother an myself together weighed about 440 lbs. and either one of us could pick up our own weight and throw it into the back of a truck.

His mother showed up, read the copy of the reservation letter my mom had with her and we all stayed. I will say they had the cleanest restrooms I have ever seen in a camp ground.

And just for the record the bus looked pretty nice. That is my mom in the left foreground. Cheryl, myself and the kids, along with our dogs.
Must have been a fabulous time having that bus to travel!!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #47

Quote:
This morning the RV Park in question ($34 per night) advised my wife that our camper "does not meet criteria", thus declining our request to reserve a site for a 2-night stay. I think that's hilarious and it's been an interesting experience. We found a nearby state park that will have us. This evening I'll post you a picture of our rejected Hunter Compact II.
Please do not keep this place a secret as there is no reason to do so. Some of us might be in that area. Did they give anything specific?
Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #48

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Maybe they did not want you to be using their bathroom because they thought you might not have one. That way they don't have to clean the showers so often. Got to have 5 stars for clean bathrooms on all those blog reviews from the travelers.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #49

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
didn't-meet-criteria

Here's our little camper. We're looking forward to our road trip through parts of Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
!cid_76B23F56-81D3-49BB-99BB-E8994AB0CEB2 (2) - Copy.jpg  
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #50
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Pecan Grove RV Park in the heart of Austin! Your trailer would be most welcomed.[emoji41]
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #51

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Please do not keep this place a secret as there is no reason to do so. Some of us might be in that area. Did they give anything specific?

East View RV Ranch in Georgetown, TX

They didn't specify any reason for their decision.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #52

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I don't know about others but I don't go where I am not wanted or welcome . There are lots of other states in that part of the country that would be glad to have you .
That's one of the reasons , we no longer go to Florida . The people who run their State Parks act like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to visit their WONDERFUL state
I can get all the bad attitude I want or need by staying home no need to drive 1800 miles to be insulted.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #53

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:

It does look "vintage". Which in their head is saying too "old". Like others stated it also looks rather difficult to fit a full, self containted, bathroom in it.

I am in the process of detailing the exterior of my vintage trailer to bring its appearance to be a closer match to my tow vehicle. I still have a few touches to do, make the window frames black, tint the windows darker, put a black band around the top and get aluminum wheels that have a similar pattern to the tow vehicle wheels. Those things will make it look modern enough to pass these kinds of inspections. Of course my vehicle is also now more than 10 years old. I will play their games about its age or the age of the trailer on the form to an RV park owner. It is not causing them any actual harm. They are not going to pay someone to run the plates for a short term stay. No one should have to do this kind of thing to fit in so we all resent it. I am making the changes in appearance to please myself but it does have its benefits in society as it does not target me as being a suspicious character hanging around their neighborhood. I will be about as "stealthy" as a fire engine but as cute as a pair of little lady bugs
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=paint job w car.jpg Views: 23 Size: 70.8 KB ID: 113384" style="margin: 2px" />
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #54

Quote:

That is unfortunate that they did not want you. Others, though, seem to be giving you some good tips for places that might be better anyway.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #55

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:

"Ranch" Its a gravel lot with some cheap metal buildings near by.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #56

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:

That's kind of surprising. There's nothing special about it based on the photos. Also, it's a Passport America park, and as members we've found that the majority of PA parks are not the fancy or picky type. Go figure.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #57

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
There's weird, and then there's WEIRD, Jim. Sometimes (just sometimes) Austin's version of weird is way out there.
LOL, I can tell you've never been to Portland, Oregon! Their motto is, "Keep Portland Weird," and they work at it every chance they get -- and I, for one, am grateful they do. Keeps everyone guessing.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #58

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
LOL, I can tell you've never been to Portland, Oregon! Their motto is, "Keep Portland Weird," and they work at it every chance they get -- and I, for one, am grateful they do. Keeps everyone guessing. [emoji38]tu
Au contraire! Been to Portland alot. One of my coworkers owns a bar there too. I think he (and some of his patrons) wrote the book on weird.

The thing that makes Austin weirder (at least to me) is that it's a little pocket of weirdness surrounded by the complete opposite.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Very few of us would be welcome at Bluewater Key Resort in Key West. Rules 2-4 (out of 40):

2. All RV’s must be self-contained with their own bath, toilet and kitchen facilities.
3. Soft-sided pop-up campers, truck campers and tents are NOT ALLOWED.
4. ALL RVs must be a minimum of 24 feet in length (traveling length).

Of course, at $135 - $200 per night (7 night minimum) I'm not sure how many would want to stay there anyway...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #60

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Looking at the photos in their gallery, it looks like a gravel parking lot with a few pole barns.

I'd say your not missing much.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote