RV toilets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Max
Trailer: shopping
California
RV toilets

anyone know anything about using a composting toilet in an RV? Experiences? Any recommended brands? Thanks,
maxwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #2

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Use the "Search" function to find many threads on the topic. Type "composting toilet" into the bottom Search Site/Google box for best results.
From all I've read, these don't actually compost ( takes too long ). The poop ends up in the trash.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.51.22 PM.png  
Old 09-01-2021, 10:59 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Xplore X22
Smith Valley, Nevada
Max,

I'm installing one right now after a fair amount of research.

"Composting" is an odd term to use with these toilets and some of them don't try to be composting. Composting RV toilet really means, you put a media in the holding area and then change it out each time the toilet is full. These toilets also do not mix the pee and the poo. The pee either goes into a container that gets emptied every day or two, or it goes to the gray tank. To clean out the holding tank area, the entire toilet gets removed and carried outside to be cleaned. Then more media in poured in and the toilet re-installed.

A "separating" toilet is a variation on this. It doesn't claim to be composting, but simply has a compostable bag in a special bucket, that gets lifted out and discarded when full. Again, the solids are separated and go into a bag, while the pee goes either into a plasctic bottle or is plumbed to the gray tank.

My trailer came with a Laveo that is a third type where everything goes into a bag during each use. The bag gets sealed up and a new section is presented for the next use. You get up to fifteen flushes before the holding area is full, or the bag cartridge runs out. The problem is there is a different amount of liquid than solids, with much more liquid per day, than solids. So the system fills up with liquid. Dumping it is pretty easy. Just lift out the bag and tie it off. Then discard in a trash can. Each cartridge costs about $30, for up to fifteen "flushes".

I pulled out the Laveo and am installing a Separret brand separating toilet. With the Separaret, all solids go into a special design bucket with a trash bag liner, and all liquids are piped to the gray tank. No composting media. Super easy to service. Can use normal sized bags. These also vent any odors out through a separate vent and are pretty much odor free.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:15 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Dumping it is pretty easy. Just lift out the bag and tie it off. Then discard in a trash can..
Sanitation workers will thank you.
Works well if you don't "give a sh!t".
Old 09-01-2021, 11:46 PM   #5

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Sanitation workers will thank you.
Works well if you don't "give a sh!t".
Yep. Along with all the diapers, kitty litter and plastic bags of dog poo from parks, which all adds up to far more volume than a few RVers with separating toilets who sometimes don't use campground bathrooms. And far better than boondockers that think it's OK to dig holes and then leave paper and waste buried all over near the trails.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:52 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Yep. Along with ...
There is a term for that sort of argument, but I can't think of it at the moment. Often used by politicians.
Found it:
Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.[1][2][3]
According to Russian writer, chess grandmaster and political activist Garry Kasparov, whataboutism is a word that was coined to describe the frequent use of a rhetorical diversion by Soviet apologists and dictators, who would counter charges of their oppression, "massacres, gulags, and forced deportations" by invoking American slavery, racism, lynchings, etc.[4] Whataboutism has been used by other politicians and countries as well. Whataboutism is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:10 AM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
There is a term for that sort of argument, but I can't think of it at the moment. Often used by politicians.
I simply answered Max's question with some real information. I was responding to Max. I was not pushing any particular system, just stating some information in response to his question.

Since you can't let it go, why don't you just tell us what you think a better idea is? Having a toilet in a small camper is an unfortunate problem to deal with. And having a black tank brings all kinds of problems. For me, the best camping is away from organized campgrounds.

So quit beating around the bush and tell us what is better and why. No smug hints, no cute comments, no thinly veiled agenda. No misspelled blocked words. Just say it. What is a better alternative and why is is better? Do you have some useful ideas on this subject, or some pertinent data we can consider? Anything really worth sharing?

Whataboutism does not apply here. Nobody is trying to deflate another's position, or distract from another's position. Nobody is trying to personally gain by damaging another's position. Nobody is trying to hide a weakness in a position. I'm not advocating a position for personal gain. And further, I was not even addressing you. Sorry, your example and tedious explanation of a well understood political tactic has nothing to do with my comments.

So, back to the subject. What is your position on the aforementioned subject? The real position, with actual useful information? No hinting, just say it and back it up with something real that we can all benefit from. Add something I haven't thought of so I can learn something.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Do you have some useful ideas on this subject, or some pertinent data we can consider? Anything really worth sharing?
Of course not. We are doomed.
I was just pointing out that throwing poop in the trash gets it out of sight, but isn't a solution.

I guess you could pack it out and dispose of it in a sanitation system.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:48 AM   #9

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

I guess you could pack it out and dispose of it in a sanitation system.
I always leave no trace. I will never just leave it behind as litter. So, you advocate putting it in the "sanitation system", the land fill, where the trash cans I mentioned are dumped? That is no better than putting it in the trash can in the first place. Any other ideas?
Old 09-02-2021, 12:59 AM   #10

British Columbia
The landfill is not a sanitation system. Where I live all organic material is kept out of the landfill. We have separate containers for organics ( like food scraps, including gravy and grass trimmings ) and for trash. Plastic and paper goes into a recycle container. Glass goes in a separate box. Drink containers are returned for the deposit.

You should try it.
And the poor guy just wanted to learn about "composting" toilets.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:29 AM   #11

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

You should try it.

I'm afraid I won't be "trying it" while I'm out camping. I guess I could take along separate trash receptacles, but I'm unlikely to be cutting the grass while out there. Separate bins is not a new idea or one foreign to most of us. It works in the city to separate out compostable and recyclable materials. You still haven't told us your position on diapers and dog waste bags, which are essentially the same thing as separating toilet bags from a few boondocking RVers. Or where to put the toilet bags if not in the landfill, where the material and the proper kind of bag will decompose. If by "sanitation system", you mean water treatment plant, I guess I could stop by the local treatment plant and dump the bag's content into the pond. Bad Idea. BTW, that is the water that was brought up to drinking water standards, pumped to a distant toilet, pumped back to a treatment plant, and then processed back into drinking water, where it gets pumped to homes like yours for drinking. Hardly efficient. I've already made clear that I will leave no trace, which means packing it out of areas with no trash system, but I'm not clear on what you think is better. "Sanitation system" sounds so generic that I don't even know what you mean. Be specific, be practical, and help me do better. Whenever there are recycling containers, I use them appropriately.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Raspy, the separret toilet looks like a good solution for a small camper, and a large on for that matter. Thanks for sharing. Great for boondocking as liquid waste can get properly dispersed. Makes for a longer adventure in the wild. We do something similar with our cassette toilet. Pee in the cassette and poop in the luggable loo which we carry in the back of the truck along with a pail of wood shavings. The wood shavings absorb the liquid in the poop and reduce smell. I sealed the lid so it doesn't stink. We dump the bag in dumpsters when necessary. If we return home with a bag full we dig a hole in the compost pile, dump in the contents, cover it and throw the bag in the trash.

I assume the fan runs continuously. What is the amp draw?
Old 09-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Carl,

The fan does run continuously, but i don't know the amp draw. Haven't hooked it up yet. The vent termination point is another consideration. I finally decided the best thing was to tee it into the gray tank vent that terminates on the roof. That vent is also on the opposite side of the trailer. So, the idea is to tee the pee pipe into the toilet vent, run that pipe to the shower drain and tee it in beyond the trap. The shower drain line will carry the pee, the shower water and the toilet vent gasses toward the gray tank. Near the tank, the line tees into the vent which goes through the roof. The toilet trap will stop any gasses from coming up in the shower, and a dip in the pee tube will do the same at the toilet. Easy in theory, but putting it together is a challenge with limited working room. But no extra penetrations in the trailer and the vent is far away from the main door. To add to the fun, I need to have it installed by Monday.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Use the "Search" function to find many threads on the topic. Type "composting toilet" into the bottom Search Site/Google box for best results..
MAX, may I suggest the same for the other questions you asked in the various threads this morning? There is no problem with asking the questions again but you will also learn a great deal by doing some skillful searching.

My method is to use Google directly, enter search terms, terms in quotes for required exact match and with negative sign (dash) to filter out hits with that term. Then add site:fiberglassrv.com to restrict the search to this site.

Give it a try.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It takes four months for human feces to compost. That's from last use. Until then, it's a human liter box. I belong to a very large Tiny Home group on Facebook. There seems to be a bunch that are removing their 'composting' toilets and going to something else. Mainly due to things like... 'sewer' flies. Most of those folks have used their composting toilets for at least three years. I don't want one. I don't want to deal with a urine diverter and needing to clean the diverter after each use. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Raspy, one other consideration regarding the venting. I watched a utube video where some folks installed a composting turlet with a fan and everything worked fine except when they ran their max fan on exhaust. It over powered the turlet vent fan and sucked the unwanted odor into the trailer. Similar to slim potatoheads issue with his pellet stove heater when its windy with a vent open. Its something to consider, perhaps always run the max fan on suck instead of blow.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver
Georgia
Nature’s Head

Ok, I may be the odd one in this conversation but I Love our Nature’s Head!
We have a factory installed unit in our Oliver LE ll. I did put a “stocking” screen over the air intake and the “milli-amp” fan runs continuously but have had no problem with sewer flys. I charge the unit up with coconut husk in the spring and empty it in th fall. There is only two of us and we only camp every other weekend, so I’m sure you could over run it, but it works for us. I add coffee grounds about every week for the moisture content and emptying th “pee bottle” so easy even my wife volunteers some times! We have two so you don’t have to go in the middle of the night! End result, black dirt for the compost pile and next years garden, so much better than draining the black tank in my opinion. Just sayin’
Steve Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:41 AM   #18

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
To simply answer the original question: I have an AirHead I've been using for a couple of years. If you don't like being limited by the blackwater tank while boondocking, it's great. Emptying it is not a big deal ... a lot less yucky than dealing with the blackwater tank. The fan is basically a small computer fan draws so little it doesn't count on my solar system. I've never had any odor issues.

When answering questions on this forum, could y'all try to stick to actual experience rather than opinion? I hate it when it starts looking like FaceBook!
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASITA BANANA View Post
When answering questions on this forum, could y'all try to stick to actual experience rather than opinion? I hate it when it starts looking like FaceBook!
I believe that is your opinion.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #20

Name: Guy
Trailer: Dub Box USA
New Mexico
I purchased the Thetford Porta Potti 345 from Amazon.

It's your standard type of cassette toilet. It allows you to drop a blue packet into both the water storage and "waste" storage to really kill the unpleasant odors.

I haven't had the chance to use it on an extensive road trip yet but early signs are that it's worth the price.
GuyKrenn is offline   Reply With Quote