RVing can work wonders. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #41

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
My wife and i full time in a luxurious 38ft fifth wheeler...Parked right next to it is our cute little 15ft fiberglass Parkliner. Certainly-consistently the tiniest rig in the RV/Golf Resort we stay at. The one people want to see inside?..The Parkliner

Thom
With the height difference, that shouldn't be a problem!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
More Planks

My niece and her family are visiting this week. They are taking the AB Challenge, 30 days of increasing, sit ups, leg lifts, crunches and planks. After 10 days they are all substantially 'harder'. Very impressive, though not easy. Of course the hardest part is sticking to it. Pam is a real cheerleader type, always ready to lead her family into challenge.

They'll be here for a week so I hope it encourages me to a new challenge, though it certainly would be easier if I were their age.

Beyond our week guests we had other four other guests for dinner last night, one has a nerve problem. that causes a slight limp occasionally. He also plans to try Ginny's 30 second plank routine to see if it helps.

We are now 'plankers' for life, since it fixed Ginny, she's almost religious about it now.

Just a thought for you that are trying. I know it's not to much about RVing but for us, RVing has led to better health.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
We are now 'plankers' for life, since it fixed Ginny, she's almost religious about it now.

Just a thought for you that are trying. I know it's not to much about RVing but for us, RVing has led to better health.[/QUOTE]

Norm,
Can you please explain the term "PLANKERS"? Sorry to have to ask, but I WANT TO BE UP TO DATE!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #44

Florida
A 'Planker', my word, is someone who regularly does planks to strengthen their body's core. I believe earlier in this post there is a link to how to plank. Basically it's forming your body into a straight line while up on your toes and forearms. Ginny holds the position for 30 seconds every day and it's solved her nerve based hip problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #45

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Norm,
Thank you for the explanation. I am glad that it helped Ginny with her problem. How long did she plank until she could see any improvement in her body? Did you ever see any changes in your body?
I am going to have to start PLANKING!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #46

Florida
Ginny and planking

Before we left last fall Ginny was having trouble walking due to severe pain in her hip. She is not one to complain, but really needed her walking stick and occasionally my assistance. Our doctor had moved to NC, so we had made annual checkup appointments with him on our way south.

She explained the problem to him; he checked her hip for arthritis. He said there was none. He got down on the floor and did a plank. He told her if she did that for 30 seconds a day it would strengthen her core and the problem would be gone in 6 weeks. Sure as shooting. She does one every night before bed, gets down on the floor with her smartphone to time herself.

So I had read a report that the entire UConn football team was tested for vitamin deficiencies at the direction of their new coach. They found among other things that every player had a Vitamin D deficiency. I found that amazing. He told me most people are deficient.

He also told me that a study has shown that when patients in nursing homes are given 1000 mg of Vitamin D, falls decrease by 40%.

Every time we go to this guy we get little tidbits. He also has given us his email address so we can contact him with medical questions. He said if we need medical help on the road he will direct us to an appropriate doctor.

Planks... it worked for Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #47

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
After reading your OP on "Planks" a while back i looked up the term and then downloaded a couple free & fun apps called "Plank". One on my wife's galaxy 10 tab and one on my iPad Air. They are an enjoyable addition to the morning routine. Cari (my wife) was actually the one who found the app for her tablet after seeing me do them one morning (so i found the one for my iPad). Now she is hooked too.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #48

Florida
Thom,

I never thought to look. Thanks a lot. I'll be down loading one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #49

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I don't suppose the app will do the plank for me, and still provide the benefits....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #50

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I don't suppose the app will do the plank for me, and still provide the benefits....
HaHa.
And if one were to look at the selection of apps, there's probably one that uses the device's built in camera to make sure you are keeping up!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #51

Florida
Apps and ABs

This week we have had our niece and her family as guests. My niece and her two teens are taking the AB challenge this month. Basically you start by doing 5 situps, 5 crunches, 5 leglifts and a plank. Every day you increase by 5, in the case of the plank seconds.

I decided to join them and am now up to 45. The sit ups are killers.

Two things, the number you increase by is not critical, but increase you should, it just takes longer to get there. Really doing one more per day for 30 days would be beneficial. The form is not critical either, though I did go onto Youtube to see what I'm supposed to be doing.

What truly amazes me is how quickly your body responds. I've gone from 5 to 45 in 9 days. I have to admit to feeling better though a little tired. I break the situps into two sets about an hour apart.

Now that I'm in to it I thought push ups might be a good addition. As Frank jokingly suggested, I found an app for pushups. It counts each pushup as your chin moves near the phone. It also does a little test and creates a program for you. (Note you can start with modified pushups where you only pushup from your knees or do pushups using the kitchen counter.) The whole thing is doing it, doing more each day and doing it regularly.

I was 72 Friday and this is my gift to me. My goal is to get to 100 reps and to make it a part of my wakeup routine.

Yes an old dog with new tricks.......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #52

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I do 3 pushups every day.... each time I push myself up and away from the dining table. Sometimes I'll do 4.

Good for you, Norm! I feel tired just thinking of doing 45 situps!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #53

Florida
Mike,

somehow it's become fun.

Maybe because I watched a 13 year old girl and a 14 year old boy working a way on my living room floor and their 40 year old morning leading the crew, such mother enthusiasm.

The sit ups are the hardest but each day they get easier. Like most things in life it's the getting started that's the hardest.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #54

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Honda03842
The two of you are great mentors and motivating for all of us.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #55

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Cheryl Wheeler concert

Norm and Ginny,

We attended and outdoor concert on a farm overlooking the Westport (MA) River this evening. The chorus of this song reminded me of you two.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #56

Florida
"the more I travel........" Thank you David..too bad her husband died.

We do love the travel, we love spending time together finding our way.

Life could not be better for us.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #57

Florida
More benefits

When we started traveling Ginny was having knee problems, they seem to run in her family. Since we began traveling we each have lost at least 50 lbs, though Ginny;s loss is a 'state secret'. The knee problems seem to have disappeared for the most part, though she is still cautious. This means we keep the hikes to a few miles and she pops an ibprofen(sp) at the start of each hike.

I am now up to 75 reps on my exercise program. I have added modified push-ups to the routine of sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts and planks. Though I am not a star, my technique is sloppy and I have to break the 75 reps into parts, taking a few minute break between groups of 25. I am impressed how relatively quickly my 72 year old body adapted to the task at hand. I've been increasing the number by 5 a day, Ginny tells me that's too many. I suggest to her to start and increase by one rep a day. Maybe after this stretch of company she'll join me.

In some measure good health is within your grasp, I only wish I had started earlier.

I now plan to add a foot bar to the Scamp to act like the couch, holding my feet down for crunches and sit ups.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #58

Trailer: Boler 1984
Came across this thread this AM and tried a basic plank.
OMG!
The only thing that I have been pushing lately is 74 and I could barely hold it for 30 seconds. Boy, am I out of condition. This will definitely be on my to-do list. Thanks for the intro
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #59

Florida
Jim, 30 seconds is great. Ginny only does 30 seconds and has no re-occurrence of her hip/nerve problem. I am impressed with how well the body can respond.

I started with 30 seconds and gradually increased it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #60

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm a believer of weight-proportionate-to-height. Doesn't matter how you get there... it's just that you do. I'm a walker. 10,000 steps a day, wear out or rust out. Calories in, calories out. I can be really bad sometimes, far from perfect. But I walk! No WiFi, batteries need... just GO!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin