Sad Time: Trailer Put Away for Winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Sad Time: Trailer Put Away for Winter

It's that sad time of year again when I get our UHaul VT all ready for the coming of winter in the Chicago area. A week ago I thoroughly washed the outside and took out all the traveling stuff left from my last trip in October. This past Saturday I took the cushions inside the house, drained the water heater, fixed the persistent stove burner problem, tested the Wave 3 heater in preparation for spring camping, took in the TV, covered the trailer with a 17' Casita cover, and raised the trailer up on jackstands to take the load off the tires. My wife said it "looked so sad" with it all covered up again. I still need to put the bags over the tires for UV protection, but it's all ready for the first snows! In case you're wondering, I can put it all back together for camping in March or April in about an hour. Wonderful trailer!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
It's that sad time of year again when I get our UHaul VT all ready for the coming of winter in the Chicago area. A week ago I thoroughly washed the outside and took out all the traveling stuff left from my last trip in October. This past Saturday I took the cushions inside the house, drained the water heater, fixed the persistent stove burner problem, tested the Wave 3 heater in preparation for spring camping, took in the TV, covered the trailer with a 17' Casita cover, and raised the trailer up on jackstands to take the load off the tires. My wife said it "looked so sad" with it all covered up again. I still need to put the bags over the tires for UV protection, but it's all ready for the first snows! In case you're wondering, I can put it all back together for camping in March or April in about an hour. Wonderful trailer!
We too!
We are making a special effort to detail our trailer before tucking it away.
We'll get everything just right and clean and shiny, and then drag it out and get it all dirty on the Sebring trip. Still... Can't wait!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I need to do that but haven't figured out winter storage yet. I really kind of want to tow it back to California in January except that I don't want to tow in January.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I need to do that but haven't figured out winter storage yet. I really kind of want to tow it back to California in January except that I don't want to tow in January.
Going back to CA in January isn't too bad. We've headed south in January the last two years. We watch the weather forecast for Siskiyous and leave when there at least 2 day window. Once over it's all good.
We'll be heading for Death Valley in January, just not sure of the route yet. Last year it was to Sacramento, to Reno, then on down into Death Valley. We experienced some freezing weather, but the roads were generally clear of ice and snow.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Registry
I really feel sorry for those that put their trailer away for winter. We purchased our trailer so we could be out during the winter. Now that retirement has arrived we do most of our camping starting in January. Sounds cold? Well it can, but there's also some very nice warm weather in South West at that time of the year.
If you have to put the trailer away, I hope you read travel stories and make plans for when the poor little trailer can come out of hibernation.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I really feel sorry for those that put their trailer away for winter. We purchased our trailer so we could be out during the winter. Now that retirement has arrived we do most of our camping starting in January. Sounds cold? Well it can, but there's also some very nice warm weather in South West at that time of the year.
If you have to put the trailer away, I hope you read travel stories and make plans for when the poor little trailer can come out of hibernation.
I am most worried about towing through the Siskiyous if weather is bad but as I am pretty flexible on travel dates it might work out. I can always hole up and wait if the pass is icy or snowy.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We don't like putting our trailer to bed in the winter. So we are thinking about a winter camping trip down the Oregon coast. Perhaps a little storm watching.
Mike Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Kevin A...I can relate to the "Separation anxiety" issue. Here's a pic. of SAD(seasonally affected disorder).
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Lonely- I'm so lonely.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Kevin A...I can relate to the "Separation anxiety" issue. Here's a pic. of SAD(seasonally affected disorder).
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Say Alf.....with such a nice set up that you have, you could just make yourself one of those fancy inside campgrounds. It could be your own private heaven. Of course that barn looks big enough for at least "1" more camper buddy.

We have been to Durand, Mi. in October and camped in our friends pole barn....had a great time. ok except when we had to walk thru the cold to go take showers and such.They have theirs set up wiyh power and water but no sewer.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #10

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
I've had my Boler since June and have only spent three (more or less local) nights in it! If the weather cooperates, I will be taking it to Death Valley for a few days the end of this month. So I'm just getting it ready to go on my very first trip--THEN I'll put it up for the winter! Bad timing, I know, but it was the best I could do. I just hope it works out...
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morrison View Post
We don't like putting our trailer to bed in the winter. So we are thinking about a winter camping trip down the Oregon coast. Perhaps a little storm watching.
If you're lucky you will hit the weather right. Some of the nicest weather on the coast is NOT in the summer. It's really hard to go wrong. Big storms make for great storm watching. Winds make for great kite flying. Calm and sunny make for great walks on the beach.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
I've had my Boler since June and have only spent three (more or less local) nights in it! If the weather cooperates, I will be taking it to Death Valley for a few days the end of this month. So I'm just getting it ready to go on my very first trip--THEN I'll put it up for the winter! Bad timing, I know, but it was the best I could do. I just hope it works out...

You'll enjoy Death Valley. Furnace Creek area is where most people go. From there you can drive to several of the neat places to visit. This time of year, it will probably the nicest near Furnace Creek. Second choice is Stove Pipe Wells. Staying at the campground near Scotties Castle might be a bit cold.

One important note. There's two gas stations in the park, one at Furnace Creek and one at Stove Pipe Wells. The one at Stove Pipe Wells is usually about $1.00/gal cheaper than at Furnace Creek. Neither one are cheap.

We'll be there in January.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

Name: Sheryl
Trailer: '99 Casita 17'LD
Montana
Registry
Quote:
You'll enjoy Death Valley. Furnace Creek area is where most people go. From there you can drive to several of the neat places to visit. This time of year, it will probably the nicest near Furnace Creek. Second choice is Stove Pipe Wells. Staying at the campground near Scotties Castle might be a bit cold.

One important note. There's two gas stations in the park, one at Furnace Creek and one at Stove Pipe Wells. The one at Stove Pipe Wells is usually about $1.00/gal cheaper than at Furnace Creek. Neither one are cheap.

We'll be there in January.
Oh, Byron, thanks for the price tip! I was at Furnace Creek 10 years ago or so, so I knew I should buy groceries ahead of time, but hadn't thought about gassing up! I'm sure anxious to try out my trailer, and to find out what I'm forgetting to do/take!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #14

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
It's that sad time of year again when I get our UHaul VT all ready for the coming of winter in the Chicago area. A week ago I thoroughly washed the outside and took out all the traveling stuff left from my last trip in October. This past Saturday I took the cushions inside the house....
We're new trailer owners, and I have a question. We replaced the cushions in our 13' Trillium over the summer. So as I'm putting my trailer to bed for the winter, I'm wondering if I should bring them in the house or leave them in the trailer. Just wondering why your bring yours in. Mine seems waterproof, any reason you're taking the time to do it?
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
I really feel sorry for those that put their trailer away for winter.
Me too.
I feel guilty when I have the means to use it all winter, and it sits in the yard unused.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #16

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have put our Egg Camper to bed for the winter but we'll be waking up our Kodiak in a few days to get ready for our AZ snowbird winter. The Kodiak goes to bed for the summer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
We're new trailer owners, and I have a question. We replaced the cushions in our 13' Trillium over the summer. So as I'm putting my trailer to bed for the winter, I'm wondering if I should bring them in the house or leave them in the trailer. Just wondering why your bring yours in. Mine seems waterproof, any reason you're taking the time to do it?

I take them inside for a couple reasons: I don't want any wandering critters to munch away on them (We've never had any mice, but who knows?) and I don't want them to pick up any damp smells. They are a sisal fiber and not easy to clean.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I had to winterize ours last night in case it drops below freezing while we're away next week, but then we'll head to FL for a couple days in Dec. Then it's back to GA to winterize again until the Scamp Camp in FL in Feb.
I have it down to a fairly easy process of blowing the water out of the lines with the compressor, and then adding about 2 qts of antifreeze through an intake port I added.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Blew out the water lines last weekend, goes away in the pole barn tomorrow. If it is nice next weekend I'm tempted to go one more time this fall using jugs of water and camp ground rest rooms.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Hi Don. I moved up to a 16' Trill last spring after having a 13 footer for many years. I too, wonder what is the reason for removing the cushions for the winter. In all the years I had the little camper, I never took the cushions out and never had a problem with moisture, mildew or mustiness. Hope someone gives us an answer.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote