Sadie is Back on Santa's Good List - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Sadie is Back on Santa's Good List

As all pet owner's know, there comes a time when you have to face up to the fact that Fido or Fluffy or you are not going to be around forever. Our lab of 12 years suddenly started having accidents inside at night. Not such big thing unless she's doing it on carpet that is not yours. After a certain age we all get up alot at night. I had that problem before I got to the age I am so it's been a pain for my husband since we met. Sadie has always alerted us if she needed to out in the middle of the night. In the past year she has not liked doing the stairs to the second floor of the house but we have always heard her unlike the cabin we are renting she can stick her nose in our face to let us know. Her two accidents got her tied to the table in the kitchen. I bring smelly home to Iowa and she wets on a rug in the kitchen then begins to pass blood in her urine. You think the worse, you don't want to prolong pain and treatment, your son is coming home from New Mexico for Christmas. He was 8 when we got her. I witnessed both my sons reactions to two dead cats I did not know they even liked not to mention digging a whole large enough for an 80# animal in the middle of winter in a yard that is full of rocks. So my husbands going "Don't tell him anything if it's bad and then tell him when it's over." Like you want to sleep on that. So I load Sadie into the Jeep and the vet and I follow her around the parking lot for a urine sample. This dog is already thinking I am wierd for following her around with a shovel picking up the pooh. Bingo! Success at the catch. Diagnosis. Bladder infection. Good dentsity in her urine which combates bacteria. I think 24 hours on antibiotics she won't look like squatting dog anymore. So Sexy Sadie, though she has lost that, will be with us a while longer. In all my heart I hope to wake up one day and find her dead on her pillow.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0135.jpg  
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That's great news! Good for you to go that extra mile for a loved family member. And I agree, it would be nice when it's time for Sadie to cross the bridge she's able to do it on her own terms. It's really, really tough helping them make that journey.

Good dog Sadie!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Aliner
Cyndi, so glad her problem is treatable and she has some time left with you.

Wishing you lots more good times together, and a peaceful end when it is her time.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #4

Iowa
Registry
Thank you so much. It must be her lucky week because we have bought enough of her dog food to earn a free bag and she has more deer meat bones to chew. That saved alot of money!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B.
Thank you so much. It must be her lucky week because we have bought enough of her dog food to earn a free bag and she has more deer meat bones to chew. That saved alot of money!
Well with all that food she isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Congrats on the positive news
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #6

Iowa
Registry
The guy who sells me the food hears it all the time but I am glad she is here.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
We had a similar experience with our Airedale. She however did not have a bladder infection. Apparently she has a hormone imbalance. She now gets hormone suppliments once a week. A good resolution. =)
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #8

Name: Kathie
Trailer: U-HAUL VT16
upstate ny
Same with Carlie

Our wonderful mutt has Cushings with the same simptions. Now on pills for llife but OK
kbeale NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #9

Iowa
Registry
Well, Sadie test for her thyroid came back great. On that pill and aspirin for life. I had to worm her for the first time in her long life. I think she is feeling alot better as she is now telling us when she needs to go out in the middle of the night and early mornings. Of course, it is helps when our son is still awake to do it. She is also back home with her creek and yard for the Christmas Season.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Yay Sadie and merry Christmas to all of the family, Great news.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Traveling with a pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
As all pet owner's know, there comes a time when you have to face up to the fact that Fido or Fluffy or you are not going to be around forever. Our lab of 12 years suddenly started having accidents inside at night. Not such big thing unless she's doing it on carpet that is not yours. After a certain age we all get up alot at night. I had that problem before I got to the age I am so it's been a pain for my husband since we met. Sadie has always alerted us if she needed to out in the middle of the night. In the past year she has not liked doing the stairs to the second floor of the house but we have always heard her unlike the cabin we are renting she can stick her nose in our face to let us know. Her two accidents got her tied to the table in the kitchen. I bring smelly home to Iowa and she wets on a rug in the kitchen then begins to pass blood in her urine. You think the worse, you don't want to prolong pain and treatment, your son is coming home from New Mexico for Christmas. He was 8 when we got her. I witnessed both my sons reactions to two dead cats I did not know they even liked not to mention digging a whole large enough for an 80# animal in the middle of winter in a yard that is full of rocks. So my husbands going "Don't tell him anything if it's bad and then tell him when it's over." Like you want to sleep on that. So I load Sadie into the Jeep and the vet and I follow her around the parking lot for a urine sample. This dog is already thinking I am wierd for following her around with a shovel picking up the pooh. Bingo! Success at the catch. Diagnosis. Bladder infection. Good dentsity in her urine which combates bacteria. I think 24 hours on antibiotics she won't look like squatting dog anymore. So Sexy Sadie, though she has lost that, will be with us a while longer. In all my heart I hope to wake up one day and find her dead on her pillow.
I remember a couple of years ago I was headed for Wellington, NV from NW California. It seems that about every two hours my Fox Terrier "Skippy" had to go as she was doing the "potty dance." (A friend of mine called it that.) Anyway, we had to stop at least three times before we got to Reno and I-80 and of course there is no stopping on an interstate. Well we finally made it to Fernly and turned south on 95-A and got to a favorite camping spot a State Park on the Carson River. We got out and I was watching her very closely and when she uninated I looked very closely at the wet spot and saw a spot of bood. Well, I said "Skippy, looks like we had better head home tomorrow to go to your good friend the friendly vet." The vet and I guessed that she had a urinary infection and a few days of antibiotic did the trick. I had given up trying to get a urine sample. She must have thought that I had completely lost my mind as I followed her around with a little bowl trying to catch a urine sample. Well, I'll tell you that was a lost cause and I gave up on that thought. I was glad that she was cured and we had several more trips that summer before winter shut us down. Dogs are good traveling companions and I always feel safer when she is with me, and now that she is eleven years old I am hoping that we will have a few more years of traveling together in our Scamp.
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #12

Iowa
Registry
Sadie has definately regained her extra capacity bladder by the look she gives you when you ask her if she needs to go out especially now that we have 10" of snow on the drive and the snow blower is in Wisconsin.