Satellite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Hey everyone. Now that I have my Boler, and I have this spare Bell dish, I'm toying with the idea of having satellite TV while we camp. But I keep having this nagging feeling that I'm no longer "roughing it" as it were. I remember years ago having a discussion with friends about satellite and internet etc while camping and I said that that isn't camping (although back then, anything other than tenting wasn't camping either in my opinion). But now, I have this beautiful camper, and this dish, and a one year old and three year old. And I keep thinking, it'd be nice when the kids are getting crabby to every now and then put them in the camper and have them watch a little Disney. I can sit back and have a drink and relax. Am I crossing a line? (a little tongue in cheek here)
GordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
anyway you enjoy it is camping, as long as it does not interfere with your neighbors enjoyment.

No one can dictate what you do or don't do within your site, as long as it stays there, and is legal.

Back when I was growing up, before stonehenge was built, my Dad would give us assignments to keep us occupied. They would be based on our age and capabilities "Go find *this* plant, or go collect *this* type of wood, or something educational like that. If I had kids, I would do the same, but as an adult, I don't have to eat my peas, or sit by the fire if I don't want to. I have both TV and internet, and I use them often. I still consider myself as camping.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

Ya, plus I'm a bit of a tech kind of guy and I want to try it, just to see if I can. It might end up being a bigger pain than not having it. So we'll see I guess!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you take your satellite dish, you won't be the first molded trailer owner that does so... nor the last. I think you should enjoy yourself however you wish.. as Gina mentioned it doesn't bother your neighbors. When the weather is cruddy and you can't sit by the campfire... how many books would you read anyway? Lots of folks take laptop computers or DVD players, same/same I think.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go for it. I have mine hooked up all the time. I like my news.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

Yep, I like my news too! If its raining, I can sit back on the bench or the table bed, and watch some news, or a show, or sports. Yep, I'm sold.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Hey everyone. Now that I have my Boler, and I have this spare Bell dish, I'm toying with the idea of having satellite TV while we camp. But I keep having this nagging feeling that I'm no longer "roughing it" as it were. I remember years ago having a discussion with friends about satellite and internet etc while camping and I said that that isn't camping (although back then, anything other than tenting wasn't camping either in my opinion). But now, I have this beautiful camper, and this dish, and a one year old and three year old. And I keep thinking, it'd be nice when the kids are getting crabby to every now and then put them in the camper and have them watch a little Disney. I can sit back and have a drink and relax. Am I crossing a line? (a little tongue in cheek here)
My grandsons were not much older than your little ones when I started taking them on camping trips.
I wondered the same thing about DVD players. I remember sitting at a picnic table with my generator going to run the TV/DVD player, watching a Disney movie with 2 of my grandsons. It was great!
Now my youngest grandson is getting his drivers license this month.
Cars and girls=very little camping!
Camping with crabby kids and TV will be some of your greatest memories.
They will be getting their drivers license sooner than you think.
After they are a little older and before you have grand kids you can rough it.
Your not crossing the line by keeping your kids happy while camping.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
anyway you enjoy it is camping, as long as it does not interfere with your neighbors enjoyment.

Well said

Back when I was growing up, before stonehenge was built,

my Dad would give us assignments to keep us occupied. They would be based on our age and capabilities "Go find *this* plant, or go collect *this* type of wood, or something educational like that.

That's a great idea! I loved things like mushroom and plant hunting when I was a kid, and if my parents had asked me to go find stuff on a camping trip (and then been interested in it when I got back), I would have been very enthused.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #9

I really do not care. You are not in the woods making your own cloths and killing your on food and drinking out of the stream. That is roughing it. After that it is a matter what what makes you come back again and again.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi Gord, we often get ribbed about "roughing it" in our BF..I'll add my 2c worth as others have confirmed here. Enjoy your down time anyway you like out there. Same for the kids..let them wind down with whatever won't hurt them. Change of pace, change of scenery...go for it. The detractors don't know what they are missing! I have been wondering about a portable satellite dish myself.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #11

That's the thing! If camping become a stressful event, then people wouldn't go back to doing it. So use every tool you have to make the experience as joyful as possible. Otherwise, just forcing yourself into some ideal, will only make the experience not as joyful.

Then again, I see myself in the future, setting up the dish and not getting a signal, and trying this and that and finally swearing and kicking the dish over! Hmm, now I'm not sure! Ah, gotta give it a try anyway, just to see!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, there is a term that some people use instead of camping - glamping. That is me. We have air conditioning, running water when there is a hook-up, high definition television and DVD player, automatic can opener, microwave, and even a chandelier.

CindyL

PS: I guess my radio is a crank one.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #13

Glamping, I like it!

Well I still have a hand pump for water. I don't have air conditioning, although I'm installing it this week! I'm contemplating a microwave, doesn't seem necessary when I'm camping, but then again, sure makes making popcorn easier. I'd like to install some speakers or something too, but I'm not sure what I want to do with that yet. For a television I'm using my LCD computer monitor and a media player (sat dish would use the sat receiver). I'd like to replace the under counter fluorescent light with some under counter halogens. I just don't like the light that comes from those fluorescent bulbs.

Anyway, I'm babbling...
Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #14

Trailer: R-Vision
Quote:
(although back then, anything other than tenting wasn't camping either in my opinion). Am I crossing a line?
You used a tent while camping? Now real camping is going in the woods nekkid and building your
tools out of flint, hunting down your food and clothing and building shelter from fallen trees while
building your satellite dish out of Iron ore! That's roughing it!
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
Glamping, I like it!

Well I still have a hand pump for water.
Well, guess you are roughing it after all. My condolences!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #16

Yep, that darned hand pump! Times is hard, times is hard
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'm camping.....here's mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_4136.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	29056

I carry lots of toys and books etc. because I'm usually up later than anyone else in the campground so I need lots of different items to occupy my time.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #18

Hey Joy, what is that on the long pole on the back of your scamp? Is that a dish with a cover on it? Can't tell, I'm intrigued...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #19

Thats a Vu Qube Sat dish. I have one also. I find that they work really well.

http://www.kingcontrols.com/
Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi, having camped with little ones who are now 14 and 7 and you may be surprised how handy that microwave is. When my girls were little they had no patience to wait for a hotdog to cook on a grill or boil in a pot on the stove. Also, cant cook chicken nuggets very easy either. The microwave has been great for reheating their macaroni and cheese and various other leftovers they didnt eat at the time. We found they were usually so excited about camping they would only eat a couple of bites before something distracted them so being able to reheat food was a necessity. Popcorn was just a bonus, lol. We bought a cheap used mini microwave for $10 and it's been great! Also, if you dont have a water heater it's the bomb for boiling water quickly for dishes etc.

Just my 2 cents having "Been there, done that".

Melissa