Scamp 19' for a family of 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
Scamp 19' for a family of 5

Hi ,I had asked last year about using a scamp 19 for a family of 4. My family model has changed as we're expected our third child in a few months, thus making us a family of 5. I was wondering if anyone else with 3+ kids made it work with a scamp 19 or any other type of FGRV. I have 2 daughters and am expecting a son, what do you do for privacy when kids need to change their clothes? Family trip to the campground bathroom perhaps? Just unsure if the 19' will work with 3 kids. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If we can make 4 work in a 13' Scamp (girls 9 & 12), 5 in a 19'er should be easy! There are plenty of sleeping spots. For privacy, you have the side bath, or you can make the trek to the bathhouse. Because we are not self-contained, we always make it the last stop of the evening anyway.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tension rods hung between the cabinetry (side-to-side) and clipping "curtains" to the rods can provide several sections for privacy whether for sleeping or changing clothes.

With the rear dinette in the bed position, there's a really neat "fort" for play or sleeping for small children underneath the table. It's about how neat you think it is, whether or not a child or two would find it fun. I've seen a couple of really great pictures of children in sleeping bags and big smiles on their faces.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #4

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
As a kid my parents rented a 13ft Uhaul camper on many occasions for camping trips to Gettysburg. 4 of us camped in that lil camper just fine, and my brother and i were big kids and my dad is 6'5" 240lbs at that time. Alot of fond childhood memories in that lil camper. Those camping trips in that Uhaul is the reason i purchased a fiberglass camper.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
What we just do is step out of the camper for a few minutes to let someone have a bit of privacy while changing. Not a problem.
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Camping with a crew is only what you make of it. Anything is possible. My father-in-law did extensive camping in the 1950's with EIGHT children, two boys and six girls). This family used a 10 foot 'ORBIT' trailer (a 'stickie', not a FGRV) and a couple of 2-man tents. One such family camping trip was to the 1967 EXPO in Montreal. They all have very fond memories of those family outings. Half of these children have carried 'camping' enthusiasm into the next generation.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Camping with a crew is only what you make of it. Anything is possible. My father-in-law did extensive camping in the 1950's with EIGHT children, two boys and six girls). This family used a 10 foot 'ORBIT' trailer (a 'stickie', not a FGRV) and a couple of 2-man tents. One such family camping trip was to the 1967 EXPO in Montreal. They all have very fond memories of those family outings. Half of these children have carried 'camping' enthusiasm into the next generation.

Totally agree! BTW, I was at the '67 Expo, too, one of four children and camping in a 10x10 canvas tent that attached to the back of our station wagon. We upgraded to a tent trailer a few years later and thought that was luxurious!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
With the rear dinette in the bed position, there's a really neat "fort" for play or sleeping for small children underneath the table.

Cautionary note on that one, Donna... The factory hardware for the folding table leg has some sharp edges and protrusions. Headroom is pretty limited, too, maybe 15"? It's a great place to tuck duffle bags with clothes or a den for a smaller pet, but not a child, IMO. But on top of the bed, in the loft- there are plenty of play spaces for young kids on rainy days!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #9

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
If you get the standard layout 8 with the front bunks, you'll all fit. There is a curtain across the loft that is standard and you can get a bathroom or privacy room, with that many kids, I'd want the bathroom to cut down on night time trips to the camp rest room. Although when the front couch is made into a bunk I'm not sure how the folks in the loft get down...haven't seen that model in person. The Escape 19 with the cot option should work as well. One child in the cot and 2 on the bed below, gives a lot more privacy for the adults in the rear.

Have fun, happy trails,
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
escape 19?

where does the cot go in the escape 19? I hadn't really considered it because of the price, but with the drop in the Canadian dollar it might be more feasible than me buying American and importing a scamp. Anyone use an Escape 19 for a family of 5?
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
I had a 1973 19' Taurus growing up as a kid and 4 of us fit in it pretty easily.

I have a popup trailer that we use now, opened up it's 22', it actually has more room than our old travel trailer did.

Even the dog has a bed...lol
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp