Scamp 2021 model flat door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: 27
Trailer: scamp
Illinois
So I think my sales guy spoke prematurely, I called back today asking about it and now he was like nope, no flat doors. It will be a 2021 model but normal door still. Sounds like he wasn’t supposed to be talking about it yet. At least we know they are thinking about it, might be a little while still though.
Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #22

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
In addition to the new under mount sewer hose, the parts store now has a picture of the new recessed glass top stove! There is an upcharge for it but no more wooden box cover! Whoo hoo!
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: 27
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpscampi View Post
In addition to the new under mount sewer hose, the parts store now has a picture of the new recessed glass top stove! There is an upcharge for it but no more wooden box cover! Whoo hoo!
Now I need that stove lol. I asked about putting it in and they told me 350, still trying to decide how much I want it.
Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #24

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets27 View Post
Now I need that stove lol. I asked about putting it in and they told me 350, still trying to decide how much I want it.
I'd want it, but that $350 would be difficult to spend. I do like that it has electronic ignition though. Seems I'm always misplacing my lighter.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #25

Name: dave
New Mexico
i also have found the door to be my biggest complaint with my scamp. it has never sealed well. it came way out of adjustment, not even fitting well into the slight recess of the body, cockeyed in there, way lower on the latch side. i monkeyed with the hinges a lot and got it better but it's far from perfect. i've had to put on significant amounts of foam sealing strip to improve the seal. still leaks dust in though. i've seen scamps with great fitting doors and others with poor fit, another example of spotty workmanship and QC from scamp. my wife realized that our mistake was that our trailer was being built during the stanley cup so we're pretty sure the main attention was focused on the screen back over the worker's shoulders.
i also removed the scamp lever and replaced with the standard rv handle and that is a very satisfactory change, really nice to be able to close the door with a butt when hands are full rather than needing to lift the handle every time. also locks much easier. really love that mod but it wasn't super easy.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Handles ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
i also have found the door to be my biggest complaint with my scamp. it has never sealed well. it came way out of adjustment, not even fitting well into the slight recess of the body, cockeyed in there, way lower on the latch side. i monkeyed with the hinges a lot and got it better but it's far from perfect. i've had to put on significant amounts of foam sealing strip to improve the seal. still leaks dust in though. i've seen scamps with great fitting doors and others with poor fit, another example of spotty workmanship and QC from scamp. my wife realized that our mistake was that our trailer was being built during the stanley cup so we're pretty sure the main attention was focused on the screen back over the worker's shoulders.
i also removed the scamp lever and replaced with the standard rv handle and that is a very satisfactory change, really nice to be able to close the door with a butt when hands are full rather than needing to lift the handle every time. also locks much easier. really love that mod but it wasn't super easy.

Can you tell us which ' standard RV handle ' you bought ? Was it an exact fit ? David in Sonora .
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #27

Name: dave
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Can you tell us which ' standard RV handle ' you bought ? Was it an exact fit ? David in Sonora .

i'd have to dig thru records (which i can do a little later) to find the exact one but there are many that are virtually identical. this one looks to be the same:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Camper...-Kit/178262572

no, it was definitely not an exact fit. the door needed to be cutout to accommodate it, i had to fabricate a door latch plate, and a 1/2" spacer to account for the thinner door of the scamp. i will put together some pix if it would help. it was a fairly involved job, took the better part of a day i think. there were several youtubes of different approaches. in spite of all the mods, it looks like it was meant to be there, not frankensteiny so i am happy!
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Building a Scamp

most of you have likely seen this, but somehow I hadn’t. https://youtu.be/9fnU-D2lWG0
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #29

Name: PB
Trailer: Shopping
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
The new door looks like a better seal and a better handle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021 Scamp flat door.png
Views:	29
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	139024

Name:	2021 Scamp flat door open.png
Views:	26
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	139025

Name:	2021 Scamp spuruce cabinet brace.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	139026
pbgoodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #30

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft
MN
Flat Scamp Door should be better

We have a 2020 19' Scamp with the rounded door, but have had continuous problems with leakage at top and bottom of door. Scamp has even changed the whole door once for us under warranty, but it still leaks at the bottom and the seal at the top has pulled loose due to problems with alignment. I think the flat door will have to be a great improvement.
Frank Maixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #31

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J. L. View Post
most of you have likely seen this, but somehow I hadn’t. https://youtu.be/9fnU-D2lWG0
I learned about RVs when I had my first one, a Toyota Sunrader, that RVs are money pits. I've owned four motorhomes, all purchased used, and they were all money pits. Even my very top of the RVs ever made, a Foretravel, was a money pit. I well expect my new to me 2006 Scamp 19 to be a money pit! But they have been fun money pits!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp